Turntable vs. CD | Golden Skate

Turntable vs. CD

L

Ladskater

Turntable vs. CD

Although, I have all the latest technology, cds, dvds, vcrs etc. I still have a phonograph or turntable to play my out dated records! Anyone else here still clinging to the good old days of LPs?

Ladskater

S

Show 42

Re: Turntable vs. CD

Yep Lad, I've got a turntable too........and hundreds of albums..........42

C

Cinderella On Ice

Same here, and every once in awhile my husband and I stage a music jamboree!

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">Do you realize that the expression, "You sound like a broken record" has absolutely no meaning to anyone under the age of 15 or so?</span>

P

Piel

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

G

guinevere

turntable/CD

I still have a turntable - I love listening to my LPs!

What surprises me is that I have virually no need for cassettes anymore. Of the 3 stereo systems I own, only 1 can play cassettes, and it is the boom box with the worst sound quality, so I tend not to use it.

guinevere

G

GoldenLady1

RealtorGal, that's so funny! :rollin: I nearly choked on my coffee when I read that.

Yes, I still have a turntable too, and many, many records. Glad to hear there are others out there who are still hanging onto these relics from that past. :)

L

Ladskater

guinevere:

I still also play my cassettes especially in my car. My radio is really out of vogue - it has a cassette deck - not a cd player! I have lots of tapes and three machines to play them on. I guess, I am slow to give things up. Heck, I still like using DOS on my computer.

Ladskater

G

guinevere

Re: tapes too

Ladskater -

I miss cassettes, since they are the most compact. I also lament the passing of the erstwhile "mix tape". I know cd burners are all the rage, but it's not the same. When people make mix tapes they usually put a lot of energy into designing the case and just putting a lot of their personality into it. Every home-burned cd I have ever received has come in a plain case, usually without even a list of the songs on the cd! (I don't have a cd burner myself - I would still make cool covers :D )

guinevere

M

megsk8z

Re: tapes too

Count me in on the people that still have a turntable. There's something really neat about them, plus we have a book of optical illusions called "Turntable Illusions" Kinetic Optical Illusions for Your Record Turntable. You just can't get that kind of thing on cd, you know?
My Charming Spouse still makes mix tapes, too, artwork and all so we can play them in our newer car. I'll bet he's got at least 100 of them, some themed (like songs that have numbers in them or songs with animals, stuff like that) some are just one artist, a greatest hits kind of thing, and some are more elaborately themed.
Our older car still has (gasp!) a working 8 track in it. Just try to find tapes for that thing these days.

C

CB1AB2

I am so glad to know that there are others out there that have record players too. My stero has a turntable I can play 33's 45's = an am/fm radio = cassette and 8 track player.
I do have a cd player though too.

cb

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

my parents still have their old record player... I still have my Chipmunk albums... I love my old records :D

C

Cinderella On Ice

Oh gosh, I forgot about my parents. They have a Zenith "hi fi" stereo in their den which must be about 40 years old now. It is this gigantic wooden cabinet about 5 feet wide and 3 feet deep, and their turntable plays 33-1/3, 45s AND 78 rpms! My mom still has ALL of her old 78s, in pretty much mint condition. It's got the round "core" accessory that you put on the spindle in order to feed 45s automatically. And the darn thing looks like it's brand new, even though it got used all through our growing up years. The first album I ever owned was The Beatles' Hard Days Night, which I still have.

Up until last year, I had an 8 track player down in my basement that I would use when I did the laundry. My supply of tapes continued to dwindle as they grew old and brittle and the glue that held the tapes together would crumble and they'd break. Finally, the whole machine gave a giant cough and died, so it all went in the dumpster.

Ahhh, great memories!

M

megsk8z

My very first skating program was put on a 78 rpm record! I had forgotten about that.......must be that "Old Timer's Disease" I keep forgetting about.

G

guinevere

turntable/CD debate

OK, this is getting even more off-topic, but my first record player had settings for 33/45 rpm, as well as 78 and <strong>16</strong> rpm!! Once I got old enough to have my own records (I had inherited the following singles from someone: 'Penny Lane', 'Without You' (Nilsson), 'You're So Vain' and 'Brand New Key' - guess what decade I grew up in?), playing the latest hit singles superfast AND super s-l-o-o-o-w was a big part of any sleepover. My best friend and I would have contests to see who could sing the 'rap' part of 'Rapture' on 78 the best. I, of course, could practice, so I had the edge there :p

guinevere

ps I had a crazy uncle who had an 8-track, but the rest of my family was not nearly hip enough for such things!

G

GoldElephant

Re: turntable/CD debate

God I'm Old! :rollin: The only thing I don't have is an 8-track player. Had one on them in JR. High. Still have a turn table for those 80's records and have the CD player for CD's. :rollin:

G

Glacierskater

Re: turntable/CD debate

My grandparents have the "buffet style" stereo record player, radio, sound system...heck as big as it is, it might do laundry too. I love it. Mom and dad still have a turntable, and the lps. I am looking at the "new" turntable/cd player, cassete player thingy that you can buy refurbished or retro, or something like that. I like technology...I VALUE the history much more.

BTW, I learned the hard way that cds are not indestructable...you can't just throw them around the truck and expect them to work when they get scratched. WHO KNEW? They LOOKED sturdy....