Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Sasha's Greatest Hits

  1. #1
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185

    Sasha's Greatest Hits

    It's time we thought about Sasha's Body of Work and not just her flexibility.

    The HITS for me were: Hernando's Hideaway; Malaguena, Dark Eyes, and the RJ in the Olys (minus the faults). I also liked her debut in Cleveland but I don't remember the tunes.

    Anyone care to add or subtract from my list?

    Joe

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    219
    AMEN to all of those. I think that her 2006 programs were two of the most spectacular programs (when done correctly) I have ever seen.

    Also: Swan Lake was beautiful too. I always enjoy watching Sasha skate, especially when she becomes the music...

  3. #3
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    Her short program in 2002, skated beautifully in SLC. I think the music was Masquerade Waltz. Her 2000 short program to Albinoni's Adagio. This appears on the "Skating Through Time: Great Performances from the US Figure Skating Championships" set of DVD's.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    Her short program in 2002, skated beautifully in SLC. I think the music was Masquerade Waltz. Her 2000 short program to Albinoni's Adagio. This appears on the "Skating Through Time: Great Performances from the US Figure Skating Championships" set of DVD's.
    In 2002 her SP music was Sentimental Waltz by Eugene Doga.

    I liked the Swan Lake choreographed by Tarasova.

    Vash

  5. #5
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,677
    Hernando's Hideaway
    Malaguena
    Dark Eyes
    Romeo & Juliet
    Don't Rain on My Parade
    Her "My Fair Lady" program

  6. #6
    Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,021
    I think her '04 Worlds performance of Malaguena was the best she has ever done. She had real fire and passion in that program, and I thought it suited her well.
    I also loved her Swan Lake until Robin got a hold of it.

    I did like her R&J as well.
    One thing I have felt for a long time with Sasha is that she should have gone more often with music like Malaguena or Dark Eyes. I think she does so much better with music that has some attitude in it. I know the temptation is great to give her beautiful music because of her lovely positions and all, but I just think she presented the other type of music so much better. JMO, of course.

  7. #7
    Master Procrastinator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Michigan, USA!
    Posts
    918
    Well, of course Dark Eyes was so well-done this year. How many years has she had that program?? Sorry, but the fact that she has had so long to perfect that program made me not really appreciate the final result.

    I really liked her choreography to R&J at the Olympics.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    Well, of course Dark Eyes was so well-done this year. How many years has she had that program?? Sorry, but the fact that she has had so long to perfect that program made me not really appreciate the final result.

    I really liked her choreography to R&J at the Olympics.
    Does something become less beautiful because it has taken longer to develop? That's like saying fast food is better than my Mother's cooking. (It most definitely is not, though it's probably better than mine. ) I just don't understand your point.

  9. #9
    Master Procrastinator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Michigan, USA!
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth
    Does something become less beautiful because it has taken longer to develop? That's like saying fast food is better than my Mother's cooking. (It most definitely is not, though it's probably better than mine. ) I just don't understand your point.
    Not necessarily less beautiful, no, but if every skater kept the same program for years, it is bound to become better and better. Not to mention all the input and critique from judges on how to improve it. As opposed to most skaters who have to be judged on what they have been able to do with a program they have only had for one season.

  10. #10
    The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    Malaguena
    Carmen
    Nutcracker
    Romeo and Juliet
    Rachimoff's Piano Concerto

  11. #11
    Go NJ Devils
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    In 2002 her SP music was Sentimental Waltz by Eugene Doga.
    That's the name of that piece. Thanks!

  12. #12
    Custom User Title CDMM1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,220
    The only time I've ever seen Sasha truly feel the music was her 2004 Worlds SP, and this will always be her best performance for me, whether there is a clean LP in her future or not.
    Last edited by CDMM1991; 04-06-2006 at 05:28 PM.

  13. #13
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,661
    Maleguena was pretty good
    but Dark Eyes made me sit up and take notice in Portland
    and I adore her Romeo and Juliet from this season (the exhibition with the feathers, yeah not so much lol)
    I also enjoyed her Don't Rain On My Parade exhibition...
    I liked her 02 olys LP(?) as well (Maleguena was the SP, right?)

    she's a gorgeous skater so everything is beautiful, but she's got a few that are just WOW

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25
    Well, of course Dark Eyes was so well-done this year. How many years has she had that program?? Sorry, but the fact that she has had so long to perfect that program made me not really appreciate the final result.
    no longer than some of the others... I think it debuted in Portland 05, which she only skated one time after that IIRC.... I think keeping Dark Eyes was a great idea because it was awesome from the get go and only got better with time!
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 04-05-2006 at 01:35 PM.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Lonewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87
    I think that her 2006 programs were two of the most spectacular programs (when done correctly) I have ever seen.

    I totally agree, her 2006 “Dark Eyes” and “Romeo and Juliet” were stunning. IMO, she is not only skating to the music, but she becomes the character, i.e.- Juliet in R&J.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    219
    As one of the commentators said at the Olympics, "Other skaters skate to Romeo and Juliet; Sasha becomes Juliet." It's so perfect. Dark Eyes, too, is amazing. Oh, Sasha...say what you want about her, but there is NO skater I would want to watch more...JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •