Sasha's Greatest Hits | Golden Skate

Sasha's Greatest Hits

It's time we thought about Sasha's Body of Work and not just her flexibility.

The HITS for me were: Hernando's Hideaway; Malaguena, Dark Eyes, and the RJ in the Olys (minus the faults). I also liked her debut in Cleveland but I don't remember the tunes.

Anyone care to add or subtract from my list?

Joe

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
AMEN to all of those. I think that her 2006 programs were two of the most spectacular programs (when done correctly) I have ever seen.

Also: Swan Lake was beautiful too. I always enjoy watching Sasha skate, especially when she becomes the music...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Her short program in 2002, skated beautifully in SLC. I think the music was Masquerade Waltz. Her 2000 short program to Albinoni's Adagio. This appears on the "Skating Through Time: Great Performances from the US Figure Skating Championships" set of DVD's.

Vash01

Medalist
hockeyfan228 said:
Her short program in 2002, skated beautifully in SLC. I think the music was Masquerade Waltz. Her 2000 short program to Albinoni's Adagio. This appears on the "Skating Through Time: Great Performances from the US Figure Skating Championships" set of DVD's.

In 2002 her SP music was Sentimental Waltz by Eugene Doga.

I liked the Swan Lake choreographed by Tarasova.

Vash

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hernando's Hideaway
Malaguena
Dark Eyes
Romeo & Juliet
Don't Rain on My Parade
Her "My Fair Lady" program

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think her '04 Worlds performance of Malaguena was the best she has ever done. She had real fire and passion in that program, and I thought it suited her well.
I also loved her Swan Lake until Robin got a hold of it.:disapp:

I did like her R&J as well.
One thing I have felt for a long time with Sasha is that she should have gone more often with music like Malaguena or Dark Eyes. I think she does so much better with music that has some attitude in it. I know the temptation is great to give her beautiful music because of her lovely positions and all, but I just think she presented the other type of music so much better. JMO, of course. ;)

Lucy25

Final Flight
Well, of course Dark Eyes was so well-done this year. How many years has she had that program?? Sorry, but the fact that she has had so long to perfect that program made me not really appreciate the final result.

I really liked her choreography to R&J at the Olympics.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Lucy25 said:
Well, of course Dark Eyes was so well-done this year. How many years has she had that program?? Sorry, but the fact that she has had so long to perfect that program made me not really appreciate the final result.

I really liked her choreography to R&J at the Olympics.

Does something become less beautiful because it has taken longer to develop? That's like saying fast food is better than my Mother's cooking. (It most definitely is not, though it's probably better than mine. :frown: ) I just don't understand your point.

Lucy25

Final Flight
SusanBeth said:
Does something become less beautiful because it has taken longer to develop? That's like saying fast food is better than my Mother's cooking. (It most definitely is not, though it's probably better than mine. :frown: ) I just don't understand your point.
Not necessarily less beautiful, no, but if every skater kept the same program for years, it is bound to become better and better. Not to mention all the input and critique from judges on how to improve it. As opposed to most skaters who have to be judged on what they have been able to do with a program they have only had for one season.

CDMM1991

Medalist
The only time I've ever seen Sasha truly feel the music was her 2004 Worlds SP, and this will always be her best performance for me, whether there is a clean LP in her future or not.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Maleguena was pretty good
but Dark Eyes made me sit up and take notice in Portland
and I adore her Romeo and Juliet from this season (the exhibition with the feathers, yeah not so much lol)
I also enjoyed her Don't Rain On My Parade exhibition...
I liked her 02 olys LP(?) as well (Maleguena was the SP, right?)

she's a gorgeous skater so everything is beautiful, but she's got a few that are just WOW

Lucy25 said:

no longer than some of the others... I think it debuted in Portland 05, which she only skated one time after that IIRC.... I think keeping Dark Eyes was a great idea because it was awesome from the get go and only got better with time!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lonewolf

On the Ice
UnsaneLily87 said:
I think that her 2006 programs were two of the most spectacular programs (when done correctly) I have ever seen.

I totally agree, her 2006 “Dark Eyes” and “Romeo and Juliet” were stunning. IMO, she is not only skating to the music, but she becomes the character, i.e.- Juliet in R&J.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
As one of the commentators said at the Olympics, "Other skaters skate to Romeo and Juliet; Sasha becomes Juliet." It's so perfect. Dark Eyes, too, is amazing. Oh, Sasha...say what you want about her, but there is NO skater I would want to watch more...JMO

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
I
I also loved her Swan Lake until Robin got a hold of it.:disapp:

Yeah, me too. Ms. Wagner may consider herself some sort of coach/choreographer combo, but she should just stick to the coach part.

My other favorites are Dark Eyes (absolutely DAZZLING in Torino) and Carmen (tho I didn't like how she did it in SLC, when IMO she left out most of the great choreography in favor of concentrating on getting through all the technical stuff).

Malaguena is also a terrific program, but for me, it's hard to picture the program without also picturing that hideous bright yellow Hi I'm Sasha And I'm Here To Take Your Order From The Margarita Bar dress, so that kind of ruins the overall effect for me overall.....

What has always impressed me about Sasha, even back in her early days when I wasn't really too huge a fan of hers, is her musicality. Sasha is one of the few skaters I have ever seen who almost always uses EVERY note in her music in her choreography; she doesn't merely use it as something to just skate to. It's this quality that makes her transcend the "same old music" she seems to almost always choose to skate to.

So much for Wagner's editing of Sasha's Swan Lake. I think it's true that it lost a bit of it's beauty, but it did allow Sasha to skate one of her few clean routines in Dortmund. I think Sasha herself blew the LP. It wasn't the routine which she did so magnificently in the Quali.

Joe

anniemg

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
What has always impressed me about Sasha, even back in her early days when I wasn't really too huge a fan of hers, is her musicality. Sasha is one of the few skaters I have ever seen who almost always uses EVERY note in her music in her choreography; she doesn't merely use it as something to just skate to. It's this quality that makes her transcend the "same old music" she seems to almost always choose to skate to.

What impresses me about Sasha is not only the musicality that she has now, but how she has been like that from the very beginning. That's the sign of a true talent. We say that Kimmie will be better in a few year's time, less juniorish. IMO, Sasha never passed from the juniorish phase. She had grace and beauty from the very beggining and that's what separeted her and still separates her from the others. Just look at her 2000 Anytime, Anywhere performance for example....As you said, she always uses every note, and it's not only because of the choreography that she has. She feels the music, and needs to do something with it. I don't even think some of her arm movements etc were part of the original choreography, she adds them in herself.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Sentimental Waltz '02 Oly SP, Hernando's Hideaway '02 Oly Ex, '06 Oly SP and LP, Campbell's Rach. I haven't seen any of her earlier performances, so I may add a few once I get myself a good Sasha compilation :)

Question to CDMM: I didn't watch Worlds, and I wanted to know what differences you found in her SP in Torino and in Calgary, since you said that the Worlds version of Dark Eyes was the only time you'd seen her feel the music. Just curious to hear/see it, since I didn't actually see that performance.

Cheers,
Sarah m.