Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sasha's Greatest Hits

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51
    I
    I also loved her Swan Lake until Robin got a hold of it.
    Yeah, me too. Ms. Wagner may consider herself some sort of coach/choreographer combo, but she should just stick to the coach part.

My other favorites are Dark Eyes (absolutely DAZZLING in Torino) and Carmen (tho I didn't like how she did it in SLC, when IMO she left out most of the great choreography in favor of concentrating on getting through all the technical stuff).

Malaguena is also a terrific program, but for me, it's hard to picture the program without also picturing that hideous bright yellow Hi I'm Sasha And I'm Here To Take Your Order From The Margarita Bar dress, so that kind of ruins the overall effect for me overall.....

What has always impressed me about Sasha, even back in her early days when I wasn't really too huge a fan of hers, is her musicality. Sasha is one of the few skaters I have ever seen who almost always uses EVERY note in her music in her choreography; she doesn't merely use it as something to just skate to. It's this quality that makes her transcend the "same old music" she seems to almost always choose to skate to.

So much for Wagner's editing of Sasha's Swan Lake. I think it's true that it lost a bit of it's beauty, but it did allow Sasha to skate one of her few clean routines in Dortmund. I think Sasha herself blew the LP. It wasn't the routine which she did so magnificently in the Quali.

Joe

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    What has always impressed me about Sasha, even back in her early days when I wasn't really too huge a fan of hers, is her musicality. Sasha is one of the few skaters I have ever seen who almost always uses EVERY note in her music in her choreography; she doesn't merely use it as something to just skate to. It's this quality that makes her transcend the "same old music" she seems to almost always choose to skate to.
    What impresses me about Sasha is not only the musicality that she has now, but how she has been like that from the very beginning. That's the sign of a true talent. We say that Kimmie will be better in a few year's time, less juniorish. IMO, Sasha never passed from the juniorish phase. She had grace and beauty from the very beggining and that's what separeted her and still separates her from the others. Just look at her 2000 Anytime, Anywhere performance for example....As you said, she always uses every note, and it's not only because of the choreography that she has. She feels the music, and needs to do something with it. I don't even think some of her arm movements etc were part of the original choreography, she adds them in herself.

Sentimental Waltz '02 Oly SP, Hernando's Hideaway '02 Oly Ex, '06 Oly SP and LP, Campbell's Rach. I haven't seen any of her earlier performances, so I may add a few once I get myself a good Sasha compilation

Question to CDMM: I didn't watch Worlds, and I wanted to know what differences you found in her SP in Torino and in Calgary, since you said that the Worlds version of Dark Eyes was the only time you'd seen her feel the music. Just curious to hear/see it, since I didn't actually see that performance.

Cheers,
    Sarah m.

Sorry Sarah, I meant to put 2004 Worlds!

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahmistral
    Question to CDMM: I didn't watch Worlds, and I wanted to know what differences you found in her SP in Torino and in Calgary, since you said that the Worlds version of Dark Eyes was the only time you'd seen her feel the music. Just curious to hear/see it, since I didn't actually see that performance.

Cheers,
    Sarah m.
    I know you didnt address the question to me but I can answer to it as well... In Torino Sasha was completely 'selling it' as the Eurosport guys say. She was 100% into the music, giving everything to the audience and the judges. She had fire coming out of her eyes. And that was the difference with Worlds. She was good, but she didnt give 100%. Perhaps she didnt have lots of things left in her after the Olys!
    Last edited by anniemg; 04-08-2006 at 04:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2