Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SOPHOMORE, Junior and Senior - Age limits

Thanks

I just got warm fuzzys! I truly appreciate it. And please don't look for the first few i put out, like I said, I should have looked a little more into this GS forum, It is worthy!

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm sorry if you thought I was one of those posting an angry response -- I was just trying to get some good debate going. It's really not as fun/interesting if everyone agrees with everything.

Seanibu - ITA with Ptchka. Keep it going. Beats gushing and bashing.

Joe

Custom Title
    seanibu, There are already senior and junior international circuits divided by age: over 15 for seniors, and 13-19 for juniors (13-21 for male pair and dance partners), with a world championship and grand prix circuit at both levels. The jumps required or allowed in junior short programs are only slightly less than for seniors, and for long programs the jump rules are the same (but juniors have one less spin slot).

In many cases the girls are better jumpers during their junior-eligible years than after they reach 19. The best, or earliest developing, of them may move into senior competition as soon as they're old enough and spend the majority of their time in the overlapping age years as seniors . . . others (especially boys) may be late bloomers who aren't ready for senior internationals until they're too old for juniors anyway.

The girls who will have long-term success as senior ladies will either be able to retain or even improve their jumping ability as they get older, being careful and lucky about avoiding major injuries, and being lucky in their adult body type. Or they will lessen their jumping ability by small enough amounts that they can compensate with improved basic skating skills and presentation.

There are also international rules for novice competition, for ages 10-15 IIRC, but this is a developmental level that's not going to get a lot of media attention. And although novice competitions don't require triple jumps, they do allow them and the best novices doing several. ("Novice," in this case, means new to elite competition, not new to skating at all.) Back home, these kids would be working on the ones they haven't mastered yet in hopes of putting them in their programs next year or the year after.

A 15-year-old whose basic skating skills and jumping ability are comparable to some of the better seniors is not going to be competing as a novice though. There may only be one or two such prodigies in any given year, or none, but when they do exist, it makes more sense for them to compete against skaters of similar skill level.

For psychological development and marketing reasons the ISU has to draw the line somewhere -- they don't want 11-year-olds in senior events. But occasionally a very talented skater like Mao Asada or Yu-Na Kim will get caught on the wrong side of the line for a year or two.

Thank you but..

Quote Originally Posted by Perry
    I'm sorry if you thought I was one of those posting an angry response -- I was just trying to get some good debate going. It's really not as fun/interesting if everyone agrees with everything.

I really rather enjoy it, I just don't want it to sound like it is just me stating these opinions. Most of what I say is in direct relation to others opinions that I have extracted - as in the casual viewer or someone who seems interested but "gets lost" for some reason.

Really I guess I am think of my self in the one way -I want everyone to know that figure skating rules and I am once again on the right track promoting the sport. I wish I was a verse as most of you are and due to my obvious passion for the sport (look at my desk, car, most of my conversations or where I express wanting to go when visiting the Tokyo office) I should know a bit more on the technical level then I do. Reading post have helped that, but I like voicing controversy. I don't think that was wrong what you said, just the direction was going toward me rather then the opinion and I want it to be a discussion of peoples views rather than an judgment of ones idea.

Allot of this is fault of my own for not being clearer - I need to stop multi tasking when discussing on this board. Still doing well though, my acquaintances in IT are the only ones who seem to know where I am visiting online not work related. As a matter of fact the one who made those harsh Judgments as such, wasn't off on creating an urgency, just with passing judgment on me - wow was she off, but I still saw her point for many people are out there like she was accusing me of being.

IOW, please keep the criticism going, it is just a debate technique to make sure you address the topic and not the person.

Thanks again for listening!

regards to gkelley's dispersal of information

Great information, These are not things that I am sure are going on. I feel as most of my friends, that the "cut offs" are "way off." But that might be due to not knowing some aspects of age and ability. Really these opinions come from the basic rule of thumb in "most" countries of world media influence have; pre teen, teens and adults.

As I have really just tried to be helpful in stating before - out of the 200 people that have viewed this topic, only 19 or so have posted. I am considering the others that are interested in the topic and not me. I am not trying to say anything "bad" about anyone, just want some to realize there are better ways to voice opinions rather then at a person in particular - rather at the opinion - the "voicer" will get the drift.

The knowledge here is fantastic, the debating skills are distracting from the point. Just quote someone or if you feel like I am the one to address it to then PM me. These topics are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to me (not sure why just passionate about this sport). I want the issues addressed - why isn't FS getting close to as much attention as Golf for example?

....And a new thread is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Seanibu - ITA with Ptchka. Keep it going. Beats gushing and bashing.

Joe
    I semi A, keep it going will not be as likely when pointing at a person in particular.

Again respect for you, let's keep IT (the topic) going, and not bashing me - just the opinion I voiced.

This is the last I have say about it, do what you all will now. But the after school club in high school the mediator role I take in corporate meetings has educated me on this to a degree. It will not stop a discussion, only side track the involved and the observer to believe it is a "personal" issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2