ISU World Standings 4/3/2006 Update | Golden Skate

ISU World Standings 4/3/2006 Update

Actually, I have never found these lists to be controversial at all. They show who garnered the most points under the ISU formula (heavily weighting the grand Prix events), over the last couple of years.

They are not intended to say anything about who the best skaters are.

MM :)

CDMM1991

Medalist
I'll post the top 20s here:

Mens:

1. Jeffrey Buttle CAN
2. Emanuel Sandhu CAN
3. Brian Joubert FRA
4. Stephane Lambiel SUI
5. Evan Lysacek USA
6. Evgeni Plushenko RUS
7. Johnny Weir USA
8. Nobunari Oda JPN
9. Daisuke Takahashi JPN
10. Chengjiang Li CHN
11. Kevin Van Der Perren BEL
12. Frederic Dambier FRA
13. Min Zhang CHN
14. Matthew Savoie USA
15. Stefan Lindemann GER
16. Yannick Ponsero FRA
17. Shawn Sawyer CAN
18. Yasuharu Nanri JPN
19. Christopher Mabee CAN
20. Alexander Uspenski RUS

Ladies:

1. Irina Slutskaya RUS
2. Elena Sokolova RUS
3. Shizuka Arakawa JPN
4. Mao Asada JPN
5. Joannie Rochette CAN
6. Miki Ando JPN
7. Fumie Suguri JPN
8. Kimmie Meissner USA
9. Yoshie Onda JPN
10. Yu-Na Kim KOR
11. Carolina Kostner ITA
12. Yukari Nakano JPN
13. Sasha Cohen USA
14. Susanna Poykio FIN
15. Alissa Czisny USA
16. Aki Sawada JPN
17. Yan Liu CHN
18. Julia Sebestyen HUN
19. Elena Liashenko UKR
20. Emily Hughes USA

*Michelle is number 52 behind Katy Taylor, Bebe Liang, Christine Zukowski, and Amber Corwin.

Pairs:

1. Zhang/Zhang CHN
2. Petrova/Tikhonov RUS
3. Pang/Tong CHN
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy GER
5. Obertas/Slavnov RUS
6. Totmianina/Marinin RUS
7. Inoue/Baldwin USA
8. Marcoux/Buntin
9. Zagorska/Siudek POL
10. Murkurthova/Trankov RUS
11. Dube/Davison CAN
12. Vlassov/Meekins USA
13. Putnam/Wirtz CAN
14. Wakamatsu/Fecteau CAN
15. Shen/Zhao CHN
16. Orscher/Lucash USA
17. Pylkina/Hogner SWE
18. Miller/Brubaker USA
19. Aganina/Knysev UZB
20. Pla/Bonheur FRA

Ice Dancing:

1. Navka/Kostomarov RUS
2. Dubreuil/Lauzon CAN
3. Delobel/Scheonfelder FRA
4. Chait/Sakhnovski ISR
5. Belbin/Agosto USA
6. Grushina/Goncharov UKR
7. Denkova/Staviski BUL
8. Domnina/Shabalin RUS
9. Virtue/Moir CAN
10. Matthews/Zavozin USA
11. Gregory/Petukhov USA
12. Faiella/Scali ITA
13. Wing/Lowe CAN
14. Mikhailova/Sergeev RUS
15. Fraser/Lukanin AZE
16. Gorshkova/Tkachenko RUS
17. Plantonova/Maximishin RUS
18. Kerr/Kerr GBR
19. Watanabe/Kido JPN
20. Pechalat/Bourzat FRA

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
6. Plushenko
7. Weir

I thought this was interesting that Johnny did the Grand Prix and Evgeni skated what once??? I could be wrong.

Dee

carol45

Rinkside
Where is Sarah Meier?

Is Sarah not listed because she was not in the Grand Prix? But she finished in the top 10 at the Olympics and 6th (should have been 5th) at Worlds.

euterpe

Medalist
Sarah Meier skated in the GP this season: 5th at Skate Canada and 7th at NHK. She is #22 on the list, but since she finished 6th at Worlds she is not only guaranteed two GP assignments, but she will be a seeded skater.

However, she did not skate in the GP at all in the 2004-2005 season and was 14th at Worlds 2005. She had been scheduled for CoC and CoR, but withdrew from both events, probably with injury. Her lack of GPs and low Worlds finish that year are probably what is keeping her down in the rankings.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
6. Plushenko
7. Weir
As I undertand it, here is how it works:
Plush - 3028
This season
1200 points for his Olympic win, 400 for a GP win, 0 for "2nd GP"
Last season (70% of full value)
588 2005 Euro win (since he was not at worlds; Euros get you less points than worlds), 560 for winning GPF, 280 for "2nd GP"
Weir - 2895
This season
1000 points for Olympic 5th place, 350 for CoR bronze, 250 for 7th place at Skate Canada
Last season (70% of full value)
735 for worlds 4th, 280 for each of his GP medals HEY! I FOUND AN ERROR IN THE STANDING POINT! Johnny had 1 GP gold and 1 silver. GP gold gets you 400 points - 70% of that is 280; however, silver gets you 375 - 70% of that is 262.5 (which is what Li got for his GP silver). So Johnny got free 18 points! (not that it matters, the next in line, Oda, is 32 points behind; it's just cool to catch an error like that :) ).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Actually, I have never found these lists to be controversial at all. They show who garnered the most points under the ISU formula (heavily weighting the grand Prix events), over the last couple of years.
The only thing I find controversial about ISU standings is the way they mix juniors and seniors. Because of that, sometimes skaters drop in standings considerably once they transition to senior ranks. IMHO there should be separate lists for juniors and seniors.

What happened to Silverstein and O'Meara? It's too bad they didn't get to Worlds. Imo, M&Z are not consistent. I also like Steigler and Magerovsky(sp). If he intends to become a US citizen, I think he should start now to apply so that he can be accepted in the 2010 Olys.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
What happened to Silverstein and O'Meara? It's too bad they didn't get to Worlds. Imo, M&Z are not consistent. I also like Steigler and Magerovsky(sp). If he intends to become a US citizen, I think he should start now to apply so that he can be accepted in the 2010 Olys.
1. And Silverstein & O'Meara are consistent?! Just remember the disaster of their 4CC performance! (Though it does appear that she is the one making most mistakes, but then again I'm no expert...)

2. I'd assume Magerovsky is well on his way. He could have applied either as a valuable person or as a spouse of a citizen. I did indeed like this team, especially when I saw them live at the Jimmy Fund skate.

3. Silverstein & O'Meara are ranked 35th. They got 665 points for their 4CC 6th place (they would have only gotten 450 for their Olympic placement), and 300 points for 5th place at Skate America. They did not compete last season.

euterpe

Medalist
Silverstein/O'Meara got 665 for their ISU Championship points, which is the value of their 6th place at 4CC. They competed at the Olympics, but 16th place there was worth only 450 points. When a skater/team has competed in more than one ISU Championship event, the ranking lists the one with the highest number of points. And of course S/O as a brand new dance team got just one assignment, to Skate America, where they finished 5th. They had no points at all for the 2004-2005 season, when Ryan skated with Lydia Manon.

Similarly, Matthews/Zavozin won the silver medal at 4CC, worth 805 points, while their 16th place at Worlds was worth only 450, so they got the 805 points.

There is nothing inconsistent about M/Z. They competed in the JGP during the two previous seasons, and won the JGPF and the Junior World Championship in 2005. 2006 was their first year competing as Seniors, and they did very well in the GP, finishing 5th in one event and 4th at TEB, where they were 3rd in both OD and FD. They won silver at 4CC and got creamed at Worlds, where they finished 16th as a brand new team. It takes a few years to get recognition when a team moves from Junior to Senior.

Just remember that Belbin/Agosto finished 17th at their first Worlds and 13th at their 2nd, and Dom/Shabs, even with the advantage of SWR (skating while Russian), were 15th their first time out and 10th their second.

I do like M/Z but their Worlds was really poor. Anyone who was there would confirm that, I believe.

what did M/Z and S/OM get for GPs?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
what did M/Z and S/OM get for GPs?
S&O'M had one GP, came 5th, and it got them 300 pts.

M&Z had 2 GPs, came 4th and 5th, and it got them 325 and 300 pts.

euterpe

Medalist
Ptichka said:
The only thing I find controversial about ISU standings is the way they mix juniors and seniors. Because of that, sometimes skaters drop in standings considerably once they transition to senior ranks. IMHO there should be separate lists for juniors and seniors.

The problem with keeping them separate is that junior skaters often do both Junior and Senior events. B/A skated in the JGP in the 2000-2001 season , and in both Junior and Senior Worlds 2001. They skated in both Junior and Senior Worlds in 2002 as well. DomShabs skated in Junior and Senior Worlds in 2003. This season, Elene Gedevanishvili skated in the JGP, the JGPF, Europeans, Olympics and Senior Worlds. Mao Asada skated in the GP this fall and at Junior Worlds 2006. Pairs teams are allowed to, and do, skate in both JGP and GP.

The ISU rankings have no impact on Junior international assignments to the JGP, so there isn't much purpose keeping them completely separate. OTOH, if you subtracted all the Junior points from skaters/teams transitioning from Junior to Senior, they would fall to the bottom of the rankings and might not get any GP assignments at all. The only thing I would do is put the Junior events on a separate line, labeled Junior, so you could tell right away which skaters/teams are strictly junior, and which are strictly Senior, and which are transitioning.

EG:

SMITH J
2005/2006S 805 300 325
2005/2006J
2004/2005S
2004/2005J 500 225 200

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I actually dislike the tendency to stay too long in Juniors. While I never say that someone should retire to give the younger athletes an opportunity, I do feel that Juniors exist precisely as an opportunity. When you win a World Championship, you are supposedly the best skater in the world. What exactly are you when you win the Junior Worlds?

I can see mixing Junior Worlds with Senior GPs (after all the age requirements are not the same), but I would have the same rule for Worlds as currently exists for GPs - choose one or the other!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, she's been absent for a while, hasn't she? So #52 makes sense for her. Want to be higher? Compete more, simple.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Well, she's been absent for a while, hasn't she? So #52 makes sense for her. Want to be higher? Compete more, simple.

Don't be mean Red Dog.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Look, the ratings system easily favor those who competed more last season/season before that because with each competition you accumulate points. Since MK has been absent from ISU competition in a while, it's understandable she would slide down in the rankings...right? This is not to say it's a perfectly accurate indication of who's actually the best skater in the world, but it's just the way the system works.

It's up to the individual how much stock they want to put in the system, but those who are lower need either to compete in more competitions or do better in them to get higher up. It's that simple.