ISU World Standings 4/3/2006 Update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU World Standings 4/3/2006 Update

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It really does not matter to me if MK is 52 or 102. I understand how the ranking system works, but thanks anyway for the explanation.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Why did I think that Sergey Magerovsky already got his US citizenship? Too many Russians men becoming US citizens, I guess I can't keep them all straight!

euterpe

Medalist
dancindiva03: " Why did I think that Sergey Magerovsky already got his US citizenship? Too many Russians men becoming US citizens, I guess I can't keep them all straight! "

I believe Magerovskiy did get his citizenship, around the same time as Zavozin and Belbin, but on his own (he is married to a US citizen). Daniil Barantsev is the one who doesn't have citizenship. I think he and his partner Jennifer Wester are getting married this summer.

Red Dog: "It's up to the individual how much stock they want to put in the system, but those who are lower need either to compete in more competitions or do better in them to get higher up. It's that simple."

A skater could compete in many competitions and still not get the points. For example a skater could do Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Karl Schafer, Euros and Worlds and not move up a lick. Competing in "B" internationals gets a maximum of 150 points---IF you win the gold medal. Silver gets 100 and bronze, 50. If you compete in a regional (4CC or Euros) ISU Championship and Worlds, you get points for one of them only.

The bottom line is skaters HAVE to compete in the GP to have any chance at moving up in the rankings. If anything, BeBe Liang has slipped some since last season because she never got another assignment after Skate America, and she is likely not to get one again this year because she is still too low on the ranking list. Skaters from small federations are at a huge disadvantage because they don't host GP competitions and are lucky to get one assignment. The Grand Prix is not an equal opportunity ranking system, and it definitely favors the host nations.

In case you hadn't noticed, on the ISU rankings, exactly 3 skaters in the men's top 20, and 5 in the ladies top 20 are from non-GP host federations,

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
In case you hadn't noticed, on the ISU rankings, exactly 3 skaters in the men's top 20, and 5 in the ladies top 20 are from non-GP host federations,
I think you have it backward. Big figure skating powers tend to be the hosts for GP.

euterpe

Medalist
Ptichka said:
I think you have it backward. Big figure skating powers tend to be the hosts for GP.

My point was that skaters from non-host federations are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to the GP. China does not have any outstanding Ladies or Ice Dance teams, and only two aging male semistars, yet their undistinguished and less-distinguished skaters and teams have no trouble getting two events. The same is true for France, which has good Men and Ice Dance teams, but not much to speak of in Ladies and Pairs. The host countries can wheel and deal among themselves to get assignments for their up-and-coming skaters, while promising skaters from other countries are left with "B" Internationals, and many of those don't even get ISU points, even for medalists.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
euterpe said:
My point was that skaters from non-host federations are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to the GP. China does not have any outstanding Ladies or Ice Dance teams, and only two aging male semistars, yet their undistinguished and less-distinguished skaters and teams have no trouble getting two events. The same is true for France, which has good Men and Ice Dance teams, but not much to speak of in Ladies and Pairs. The host countries can wheel and deal among themselves to get assignments for their up-and-coming skaters, while promising skaters from other countries are left with "B" Internationals, and many of those don't even get ISU points, even for medalists.

Well guess Germany should start talking to France so that the few skaters they have get a chance to compete internationally at GP considering that there is no GP in Germany. Frankly I dont want to see Annette Dytrt getting two GP and no other german ladies or only Stefan Lindemann and chances for the next generation.

It seems to me that anyone interested in good Russian Skate Dancing can see it in America, and they's be competitng for the USA, too. American men do not seem to like Skate Dance.

(What about Westward the Women?)

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
Sandra_persch said:
Well guess Germany should start talking to France so that the few skaters they have get a chance to compete internationally at GP considering that there is no GP in Germany. Frankly I dont want to see Annette Dytrt getting two GP and no other german ladies or only Stefan Lindemann and chances for the next generation.

That is exactly my point. The Grand Prix series is not an equal-opportunity system, and heavily weighting it to control ISU ranking and then using the ranking to reward skaters with $$ is highly discriminatory. The German federation had their GP event taken away and given to the Chinese, and now has no bargaining power to help younger skaters get a chance to prove themselves internationally.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't believe they change the rankings if a team announces retirement.

candycane

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
I don't believe they change the rankings if a team announces retirement.

I understand the process of Junior Grand Prixs, that your own country invites you to them, how does the Senior Grand Prixs work? Does the country for each individual Grand Prix go down the ranking list and invite you? Does your own country submit a list of invitees? An explanation on this would be helpful, as I know it is different from Junior Grand Prixs. Anyones help in this matter would be helpful.