Orscher & Lucash | Golden Skate

Orscher & Lucash

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Katie Orscher & Garrett Lucash

Pairs Skaters Katie Orscher and Garrett Lucash Announce Retirement
- 2005 U.S. pairs champions Katie Orscher & Garrett Lucash announced today their retirement from competitive skating. Orscher plans on attending culinary school in the fall to obtain her bachelor's degree. He plans to return to school to study health and nutrition, and to apply those subjects to becoming the complete pairs coach and trainer.

What a shame they couldn't have ended their careers by competing at the Olympics and world championship. They were an exceptional team.

My fondest memory of Katie and Garrett was when I saw them skate live at the Tsunami Relief charity show organized last year by Tanith and Ben. During the warm-up they put on a show for the audience by performing a series of side-by-side-by-side triple jumps along with their good friend Johnny Weir. :laugh: :agree:

MM :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Aaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That stinks!!!! .66 was not that much to miss by.

Garrett could chuck her so far and she would land so well....boo. Such a cute pair to watch - this is equally a drag as Jenny. I understand, it's up to things I may never know that they do. I hope Katie gets a cooking show for a season at least, she is very charming. Maybe a show where she teaches Garrett??:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I still think if the USFSA would support its pairs more both financially and otherwise we wouldn't see news like this.

Katie and Garrett were amazing to watch. He could really throw her, and the fact that she could land most everything just impressed me more. They were really starting to come together, I'm still so bummed about the news :no: :cry:

normal_Image105.png
normal_Image16.png

Katie Orscher & Garrett Lucash - 2005 US Champions

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
My favorite memory of Katie & Garrett is from last season's Nationals in Portland after they finished their gold medal performance of Samdel (their LP). They skated their hearts out, hit their ending pose, Katie pumped her fist because they had skated clean too, and then they gave each other a HUGE hug and poor Garrett just collapsed into Katie's arms. He had had the flu all week long and until the day before had had a pretty high fever too. It was amazing for him to get through the performance at all, and for them to not only pull off the clean LP but win the gold medal too, it was just one of those moments you never forget. They are true champions and wonderful people. They will definitely be missed a great deal and I wish them only the best. (((Orcash))) :cry:

(And this is how I feel about the USFSA's support of its pairs teams but that's a WHOLE other thread here. :banging:)

heyang

Record Breaker
Da*&. US Pairs will definitely be wide open next year.

Am I correct in thinking that Hinzman/Parchem were also competing in their final year? Or are they just thinking that they won't be around for 2010.

Well, perhaps we'll see NNN and her partner on the podium in 2007 - at least at Nats

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Marcy and Aaron were going to take a little bit of time this spring to figure out their plans for next year. I'm sure we'll hear about their decision whenever they have one to share with their fans. :)

sk8addict

On the Ice
So sad to hear they have called it quits. Sounds to me that Garrett isn't ready to stop skating yet. How about Don & Lucash? Good news for NNN. Any thoughts?

Kasey

Medalist
Was under the impression that it didn't have anything to do with financial support, but different goals and dreams, at least on Katie's behalf.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Was under the impression that it didn't have anything to do with financial support, but different goals and dreams, at least on Katie's behalf.

I wouldn't expect a USFSA press release to say "hey we treat our pairs skaters like crap" ...

the USFSA only seem to favor the disiplines that win... they even stated as much after Tanith and Ben came home with 1 of 2 medals the US brought home from Torino... more $$ is going into encouraging the ice dancers...

Kasey

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
I wouldn't expect a USFSA press release to say "hey we treat our pairs skaters like crap" ...

the USFSA only seem to favor the disiplines that win... they even stated as much after Tanith and Ben came home with 1 of 2 medals the US brought home from Torino... more $$ is going into encouraging the ice dancers...

My "impression" was not based on the the USFSA press release, but rather, people closer to Katie and Garrett...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
heyang said:
Da*&. US Pairs will definitely be wide open next year.

Am I correct in thinking that Hinzman/Parchem were also competing in their final year? Or are they just thinking that they won't be around for 2010.

Well, perhaps we'll see NNN and her partner on the podium in 2007 - at least at Nats

Hinzman/Parchem too!!!!????? Please NOOOOO. That has got to be the most "good looking couple together" I may have ever seen - ice or not. Just the Idea of loosing that beauty too.........This sport has GOT TO get more popular again!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am not surprised after seeing them skate in COI in Boston. They really struggled.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm thinking of Jill Trenary's quote that you're lucky in a career if you have one or two competitions where you skated your very best. Katie and Garrett surely had that at the 2005 Nationals. In that, at least, they were lucky. It's very sad that they are unable to continue competing., for whatever reason,

Brenlynn, their biggest fan and webmaster swears that they broke up over financial problems (which translated means lack of support).

There is always more than one reason when people stop doing something they have done all their lives, nearly. When there are 2 people involved, it's even more likely that there is more than one reason. But if O&L want to say that it's all financial, I think we should leave it at that, and I hope they both succeed in their new careers.

Last edited:
I was on the same shuttle bus with Garret on the way to the airport in St Louis. He was sad. I believe they wanted to be Olympians. I told him to hang in there; that they were a good team. He thanked me.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
Brenlynn, their biggest fan and webmaster swears that they broke up over financial problems (which translated means lack of support).

I trust what she has to say over everyone else (save for obviously Katie and Garrett).

Joe, Garrett has always been so gracious and honest with his fans. He totally broke my heart that night, his spirit was just so *heavy* :(