Irina Article In Russian | Golden Skate

Irina Article In Russian

kyla2

Final Flight
Has anyone here seen the recent article, which is an Irina interview in Russian? It's been translated on another "skating website" which I think I have to leave nameless (sorry I can't provide a link). In it, she is very negative about America and Americans. To say I am disappointed in her is an understatement. I had always been fond of Irina for many reasons, but this interview certainly changes how I feel about her. I made my feelings plain about how I felt about other negative posts on the thread about America, so consequently I am banned. Being banned from this particular site is not a problem for me since I rarely post there. But I am wondering if anyone else has seen this interview. I am siomewhat stunned at her comments and thought she liked us. The whole interview is quite angry in tone. She basically says in it that Americans are insincere, that they smile too much, and that we are a plastic country. She only comes here for the money, etc. I am sure Tom Collins won't be thrilled when he sees it.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I have to agree with you, kyla. I have always been fond of Irina, even though I didn't always think she deserved some of the scores she has gotten. But there have been one too many comments lately from her that I find just plain rude and thoughtless. I have no problem with her preferring one country over another to tour in, but she seems to take every opportunity she can to put down the United States ... and she clearly says if it wasn't for the money, she wouldn't even come here. Well I wish Tom Collins would tell her that her services here are no longer needed. Let her go back to Russia and see if her wonderful homefolk there would like to pay her the kind of money the Americans did. Somehow I don't think they would, and I don't know why we do either.

kyla2

Final Flight
Thanks Nymkfan51

I appreciate your comments very much. I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought Irina was completely out of line. At the other figure skating site they have many people who post from overseas and I don't think they see this situation the way Americans do. But I could never go to someone's country (a coutnry that has supported me financially and spiritually), take their money for a performance, and then criticize them for "smiling too much" and being phony and plastic. I think of Michelle (the icon of class) and Sasha and I know that neither one of them, in a million years, is capable of that kind of interview. They are both nice young women and I had always thought Irina was too. What a disappointment for me.

nymkfan51

Medalist
And can you just imagine if Michelle or Sasha made these comments about Russia? Ha! They would be crucified. There would be threads 80 pages long cursing them up one side and down the other. And it would be by the same posters who think there is nothing wrong with what Irina has said.
Irina doesn't like the Americans very much because we are two-faced and don't say what we really mean. Well, I would love to have the opportunity to get a backstage pass for one of the COI shows and say "Hi Irina, I don't enjoy your skating and wish you wouldn't tour here. Have a good day."

Well, I can't believe I just went over to FSU and read THE WHOLE 40 PAGE THREAD! :laugh:

For a translation of the article, go here

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37850&page=12&pp=15

and scroll down to the post by MashaG.

I have to say I found Irina's comments to be pretty bland. She obviously didn't want to do the interview at all, and spent the first half of it bickering with the journalist.

As to her comments about America...*yawn*. She was her usual feisty self -- I should have won at Salt Lake City, I should have got second at Turino (but I have only myself to blame for handing the gold to the Japanese girl), that's all water under the bridge now anyway, why do you keep bringing it up, Americans are big phonies, hooray for Russia.

The biggest thing I learned was: Irina had her tongue pierced!

MM :)

PS. What was the thing about hamburgers that everyone kept talking about?

kyla2

Final Flight
Yes!

Yes Nymkfan51, ITA with everything you said. She complains in this article about people who don't know who she is, but ask for her autograph anyway. I was astounded by the arrogance of that comment. So going up to her at the COI tour and saying, "Yes, I know who you are and I don't like your skating" would be a fitting response. COI needs to re-think having her skate.

kyla2

Final Flight
Mathman

Thanks for the link. I have no clue as to what the hamburger thing was about. I was too angry about the anti-American comments to care. I didn't find it as bland as you did obviously. Is it my age (53) or what? But I won't pay one dime to see her skate ever again. I just can't believe she was so stupid as to give an interview like that.

nymkfan51 said:
MM, what about the part about not coming to the U.S. except for the money?
I really can't get all excited about it. I kind of figured that's the main reason why international skaters go on the Tom Collins tour.

To me, America has broad shoulders and a tough hide. We don't give a fig when foreign heads of state criticise us, why should we care what an athlete/entertainer says?

JMO.

PS. Kyla, I'm 62. I've heard a lot worse. The good old U.S of A. is still here, smiling away, despite Irina's best shots.

Last edited:
nymkfan51 said:
MM, what about the part about not coming to the U.S. except for the money?
There's a line in the film Of Human Bondage, where Bette Davis screams out at Leslie Howard, "Love you? I never loved you. I only kissed you for the money. Who'd want to love a cripple?" or something like that.:laugh: :laugh:

As for Irina, I do believe her day has come. Whatever she says would not interest me. She was not someone I would go to see in an ice show regardless of her opinions of the world outside Moscow.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Of course you guys are right. I shouldn't give a rusty hoot what she thinks. Unfortunately, I do. Lets just say that at the 2 COI shows I am going to, I will most definitely be sitting on my hands when she is introduced. Either that, or maybe I'll get myself a nice juicy hamburger! ;)

76olympics

On the Ice
The origin of the "hamburger" thing: in another rather similar Russian interview, Irina complained about the "soullessness" of the tour, or some of the audience on the tour, or American culture. ( It really wasn't clear to me what exactly lacked soul except that the Russian audiences, in contrast, were full of soul. ). In this vein, she cited an incident where she noticed a man in the American tour audience eating a huge hamburger during her performance. She could not believe he would pursue such a crass activity in the presence of art. She mentioned that Russian audiences present bouquets not a rinkside audience buffet and she prefers the Russian mode.

Neither interview really changed my opinion of Irina. Her skating is energetic and gutsy, but her name doesn't leap to my mind when I think of artistry. I think it is pretty typical (not bold or original or honest) to prefer your own country, but it is much more mature to appreciate aspects of other countries who have received you rather graciously, IMHO. I really think she knows about as much about the real America (which is very complex and full of many different kinds of people) as I do about the real Russia, so I take this sort of thing with a very large grain of salt. If she favors Vegas and shopping, we wouldn't be likely to meet up! (unless she shops in bookstores).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Typical Irina. I read the interview at FSU when it came up. I WOULD say I like her honesty but she is being hypocritical when she claims Americans are fake when you can say the same thing about her when she's here. Whatever, I guess.

euterpe

Medalist
Other Russian skaters have toured in COI, most notably Evgeni Plushenko, who always gets a big round of applause. He knows how to please an audience, and he delivers. I also have never read any comments from him putting down the US or the people of the US.

To say I am tired of Irina and her two-faced approach is putting it mildly. When being interviewed by ABC/ESPN she is all smiles, sweetness and light, at least as long as she is winning the gold medals. When she loses, it's another not-so-sweet Irina who cuts off communication with the US press.

I guess the REAL Irina is the one in the Russian press, and that is sad. She complains that she doesn't get as much applause as the US skaters and she isn't getting the featured spot in the slow. I am going to COI later this month and I intend to sit on my hands while she is skating.

Does Irina believe if a troupe of US skaters went on a Russian tour that they would receive applause equivalent to hers and Evgeni's? Does she think US skaters would be offered the plum spot in a Russian show? Does she think they would complain bitterly to the US press of their treatment?

In effect, she says Americans are phony, when in reality she is the phoniest of them all.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Anyone else think (maybe it's just the translation, but still) that she's just generally rude? Because some of her repsonses to the interviewer are really snarky and high-handed. Like, why are YOU pestering ME with these questions, silly person?

Whatever. I pity her because I know what autoimmune diseases do to you. Other than that, whatever. She can jump and that's about all. I wouldn't pay money to see her.

I don't understand why people appreciate honesty when it is said without tact. That goes for Johnny Weir too. One can get a point across with tact. It makes the honesty understandable instead of confrontational. Am I correct? or is it just another one of my 2 million opinions?:cool:

Joe

Alsace

On the Ice
Well, at least these interviews answer some of the questions we had about her husband, who hasn't been mentioned in USA interviews for some time.

kyla2

Final Flight
Good Responses

Well, maybe I have a thin skin, I don't know. I really thought maybe it was my age, but Mathman you have me beat. I think it's because we have supported her here in the good ole USA, figuritively and literally, and I expected she would appreciate that. I do think she must be a very unhappy person right now (and GOD knows she has reasons enough) and perhaps that plays into her periodically awful interviews. I do feel bad for her husband. I don't think he has an easy time of it. Joesitz, I haven't stopped laughing over your Betty Davis quote. It was absolutely hilarious.

R.D.

Record Breaker
To say I am tired of Irina and her two-faced approach is putting it mildly. When being interviewed by ABC/ESPN she is all smiles, sweetness and light, at least as long as she is winning the gold medals. When she loses, it's another not-so-sweet Irina who cuts off communication with the US press.

I guess the REAL Irina is the one in the Russian press, and that is sad. She complains that she doesn't get as much applause as the US skaters and she isn't getting the featured spot in the slow. I am going to COI later this month and I intend to sit on my hands while she is skating.

That about sums it up for me...how I feel about her. However, that said, she does provide plenty of entertainment in the off-season with her comments...there is the one extreme (this is where I'd put most skaters) which is the cheery "I just want to skate my best", there is the honest (Johnny Weir), and at the other extreme you just have someone who is rather bitter and two-faced (Irina). Some may disagree with me and that's fine. This is only JMO.

And I'll get you some tape to help you keep your hands down. :laugh: j/k.

Last edited: