Will McDonald's Put THIS On the Menu? | Golden Skate

Will McDonald's Put THIS On the Menu?

L

Ladskater

Speaking of dining out, here is some interesting facts about our favorite burger joints.

The District of Columbia and six states--Maine, New York, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas, and California--have joined forces to consider legislation that would require fast food restaurants to include calorie information on the menu, reports Reuters. So when you consider ordering a McDonald's triple-thick chocolate shake, you'll also know it has 1,150 calories--more than half the daily recommended calories for an adult. Sit-down chain restaurants with more than 10 locations would also be required to include the item's calorie count, fat, sodium, and other nutrition information.

Fast food is about choices--and making the right ones. Find out how you can actually lose weight eating nothing but fast food from McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Subway, and more.

Fast food is about choices--and making the right ones. Find out how you can actually lose weight eating nothing but fast food from McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Subway, and more.

"Eating out has become a way of life," Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, told Reuters, noting that as we get more calories from restaurant foods, we also need better information so we can make healthier choices. Officials with the restaurant industry disagree, insisting the laws are unnecessary for consumers and a burden to restaurants. But bowing to public pressure, even the National Restaurant Association's chief lobbyist Lee Culpepper admits there will be more such bills in additional states soon.

Many fast food chains, McDonald's included, already make calorie count and nutrition information available to customers, but it's not always easy to find and can be presented in confusing ways. The new laws--if they pass--would change all that. The information would be in plain view and easy to understand. But the restaurant industry isn't going down without a fight. Reuters reports that the Center for Consumer Freedom, an industry-funded group, says chefs will no longer be able to customize menu items, adding a little salt here and extra dressing there. "This is going to change the dining-out experience," warned Mike Burita, communications director at the Center for Consumer Freedom. "Casual dining restaurants will be limited to a cookie-cutter image."

"Food For Thought"

Ladskater

S

Show 42

Re: Will McDonald's Put THIS On the Menu?

Interesting article, Lad. I think that most of the time, when people go to a fast food place, they are strapped for time, in a hurry, etc., and the last thing on their mind is "calories"...I don't think it will make much of a difference in what people order........42

G

Glacierskater

Re: Will McDonald's Put THIS On the Menu?

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

<span style="font-size:medium;">1150 calories in a triple thick shake?!!?!?!? </span> OIYE! I have been a very bad girl! No more for me. :(

2loop2002

Rinkside
To me dining out is somewhere that you go, sit down, and have your order taken by a server. McDonald's definitely doesn't qualify, but I love their McFlurries!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
2loop2002 said:
To me dining out is somewhere that you go, sit down, and have your order taken by a server. McDonald's definitely doesn't qualify, but I love their McFlurries!

I don't like McDonalds at all... but I agree it's not dining out...

and quite frankly America has just become STUPID... fast food has always been known to be unhealthy and greasy... if you're that dumb you don't deserve to win a lawsuit anywayhttp://skatinginc.com/SkateForum/images/smiley/Hypocrite.gif

Lee

Rinkside
I've been watching my calories rather closely for a couple months now, and I haven't had much trouble at all finding nutritional information for any of the fast food chains. What I've seen is pretty straight-forward and makes sense.

You're right -- it's all about choices. People who choose to pig out on the calorie-laden stuff on a regular basis will likely gain weight. You are what you eat...