Favorite/least favorite skating film? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite/least favorite skating film?

Rachael

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Fave: Snow White and the Three Stooges, with Carol Heiss. Nyuk, nyuk!

Love that movie! It was the foundation of my youth! I brought a used VHS of it off ebay. A few months ago, I brought the DVD. :rock:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
gkelly said:
Any fans of Sonja Henie's films here?

Yes indeed, they were the definitive figure skating movies in my opinion.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
You can criticize "Ice Castles" all you want, but it's the only one of the movies mentioned on this thread that has a real ice-skater in a principal role - Lynn Holly Johnson, who was a national Junion Champion and a Senior competitor.So, all the skating was real - so, if you want to talk about manipulation, what about faked skating and using real skaters as "doubles" because the actors and actresses can't skate themselves? Even Michelle Trachtenberg only did the most elementary skating moves.

Lynn Holly Johnson, Colleen Dewhurst, and the other principals played their roles very well. "Ice Castles" was the only one of these mentioned films that actually had real acting. The others were just "fluff" films by comparison. Saturday afternoon popcorn movies? Well, yeah, but.............................

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
OK, I forgot about Sonja Henie - but those were musicals that featured ice skating, not stories about the lives of ice skaters. Same with SW&3S.

Also: Nobody has mentioned "Blizzard", the story of a young ice-skater's friendship with a magical reindeer who can fly and make himself invisible. There's certainly nothing manipulative about THAT one, is there?:laugh: :biggrin: