View Poll Results: Who should skate LAST in COI?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan

49 36.57%
  • Sasha Cohen

6 4.48%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

39 29.10%
  • Stephane Lambiel

9 6.72%
  • Kimmie Meissner

3 2.24%
  • Shizuka Arakawa

28 20.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who should skate LAST in the COI?

Custom Title
    After seeing the show, I think casting Michelle last was a big mistake because Michelle had a slow program and she is injured so she didn't do anything spectacular. Sasha on the other hand was spectacular and it was a letdown that she didn't skate last b/c with the patriotic music and the wow moves, she would have ended that show on a high note.

There were no standing ovations in the show I attended and while MIchelle got the biggest response before she skated, after she skated her response was less than that of Weir, T&M and Sasha.

Also Lambiel, Shizuka aren't doing all the shows like Sasha is or else I would have picked Shizuka to close.

And seeing Yevgeny's Tosca in person... he was good but that kind of program really isn't good enough to close a show with.

Following all the reports from the various shows, the consensus seems to be that Totmianina and Marinen are the show stoppers this year. (I'll be checking it out next Sunday! )

I voted Shi-chan as well, just because of the Oly win - it is earned. You guys come up with some really strange nick-names. At least there is no negative translation to that one that I know of. Zuka translates as fragrance, so you just go figure how the translations comes into play. It really doesn't matter in the end, but .... just thought I would mention it again.

Go NJ Devils
    As much as I love Totmianina/Marinin, I voted for Plushenko, who has dominated Men's skating for the last four years. (They'd never let a pair close.) There have been arguments that if Kwan didn't close, people would leave after she skated, but if she had the penultimate spot, I doubt many would leave before Plushenko skated and the finale. And if they did, getting out of the parking lot would be easier for those of us who stayed.

Where is Arakawa skating?
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 05-02-2006 at 01:21 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I voted for Plushenko because he is my biggest fav. But honestly I think, that American show for the American Public should close the American skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    As much as I love Totmianina/Marinin, I voted for Plushenko, who has dominated Men's skating for the last four years. (They'd never let a pair close.) There have been arguments that if Kwan didn't close, people would leave after she skated, but if she had the penultimate spot, I doubt many would leave before Plushenko skated and the finale. And if they did, getting out of the parking lot would be easier for those of us who stayed.

Where is Arakawa skating?
    Quite a few people left during Michelle's performance to get to their cars quickly. I don't think it matters who is skating if a person is someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Quite a few people left during Michelle's performance to get to their cars quickly. I don't think it matters who is skating if a person is someone like that.
    Truly. They could have stayed home and really beat the crowd.

About the audience's reaction to Michelle's performance (no wild applause after), I think I can understand this even for big Kwan fans. It hurts to see her hurting. Plus, since there are no big eye-popping moments in the program itself to get people on their feet, I could see where the whole effect would be sort of subdued and melancholy.

Custom Title
    I envy you all east coasters. I am going to COI on Aug.9th, and I know this is not their last stop. I wonder how many skaters will feel burned out by that time? I just hope COI does not cancel the show here the way they have done at other places.

I really hope Shizuka will skate here, but I will be satisfied with Plushenko, T&M, and Michelle (even without the jumps).

Vash

Creative Compilation Compiler aka 3axel
    Collins doesn't want to do anything to rock the boat with Michelle, he know that SOI is going to come knockin on her door with an offer very soon.

But, the way it used to be the current Olym, World, and Nats champs would outrank Michelle. Since thats most of the skaters in the show, Michelle might have been the opening act. LOL But that was then, and fair or not, Michelle's fame has created a new reality.

Closing the show has to go to the skater who is most likely to keep the audience members in their seats. That is Michelle. Put a foreign champion in that position & half the audience will either have left or will get up & leave in hopes of beating the rush. Sasha & Johnny & Evan aren't that well known to the general public as yet. Michelle is a super star in the US whether you are a fan of hers or not.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    Closing the show has to go to the skater who is most likely to keep the audience members in their seats. That is Michelle. Put a foreign champion in that position & half the audience will either have left or will get up & leave in hopes of beating the rush. Sasha & Johnny & Evan aren't that well known to the general public as yet. Michelle is a super star in the US whether you are a fan of hers or not.
    Stop it. You know people don't like acknowledge the Diva/Super Star that is Michelle Kwan... shame on you...

Custom Title

Who should skate LAST in the COI?

Michelle Kwan . She is the reason most of us go to this event. I love many on the skaters who are there but honestly no one brings the house down like Kwan. She deserves to be the last one skating with or without jumps, she is that special

diamond

I agree that it should be Kwan. Americans prefer Americans and she probably has more medals than anyone. I don't know if Plushy has that many or not but she has been American's sweetheart for quite a long time now.

Custom Title
    Shizuka! The more I see of her, the more I like her. I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos, and I rewatched her Olympic skate. She's becoming my favorite. I voted "Shizuka" in the poll awhile ago, but didn't feel as strongly then as I do now.

Custom Title
    I can understand well that it is good for a show to have a very popular skater like Kwan to end the COI show. On the other hand I have understood from reviews that she has not been that impressive because of her injuries now and her number is not the highlight of the show. Under the circumstances of today it would be a good idea to have e.g. a skater to close the show who is really impressive (and also is the current Olympic champion = Arakawa).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast