View Poll Results: Who should skate LAST in COI?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan

49 36.57%
  • Sasha Cohen

6 4.48%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

39 29.10%
  • Stephane Lambiel

9 6.72%
  • Kimmie Meissner

3 2.24%
  • Shizuka Arakawa

28 20.90%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who should skate LAST in the COI?

Can you imagine Averbach putting Cohen ahead of Plushenko in the Russia show?

Joe

Rinkside
    I love, love, love Michelle Kwan but I had to vote for Shizuka Arakawa. She won the Olympic Gold, one that I don't most people intended her to have. I think that she deserves the glory and her name deserves getting out here in the United States.

Banned
    I voted for Arakawa.
    Last edited by slutskayafan21; 07-22-2006 at 10:00 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Can you imagine Averbach putting Cohen ahead of Plushenko in the Russia show?

Joe
    I could under the circumstances that Plushenko was not a current Olympic medalist, had not competed for a year and would not be able to do any jumping because of injuries and his programme would not be so impressive otherwise either. If Sasha were the current Olympic gold medalist, I could see her closing a Russian show. Besides, I understand that she (as well Weir) are really popular in Russia.
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-23-2006 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turandot
    I love, love, love Michelle Kwan but I had to vote for Shizuka Arakawa. She won the Olympic Gold, one that I don't most people intended her to have. I think that she deserves the glory and her name deserves getting out here in the United States.
    I am a big Michelle fan, too, but I agree with this post. Especially since Shizuka was not part of the cast for the whole tour, I think COI missed an opportunity to play up the Olympic champion angle.

Here's what would have been really classy: have Michelle come out at the end and introduce guest star Shizuka as the final act.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Here's what would have been really classy: have Michelle come out at the end and introduce guest star Shizuka as the final act.

MM
    It would have been nice to have some one be mic'ed on the ice, that would have been good. I wonder though if that would have meant Plushy and then Arakawa to keep with the gold theme - then the whole bunch (Ira seemed to be most "smiley" when she was paired with Plushy). They also did solos during the fanalle and I believe it was Shizuka that had the last "spot solo." One thing Kinda nit-picky was the announcement would say "New Olympic Champion." I believe "Current Olympic Champion" might have been more appropriate.

Well, at least they didn't say (like they always do when advertising a TV show that is not a rerun) "An All-new Olympic Champion!"

BTW, when I saw the show in Detroit, the show-stopper was Totmianina and Marinen. They are not listed as an option in this poll, but that would be a dramtic ending order, too: Michelle, Plushenko, Arakawa, then T&M.

In fact, to me, the pairs have stolen the show three years running. Last year Pang and Tong, and the year before Shen and Zhou, closed the first act and brought the house down.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I could under the circumstances that Plushenko was not a current Olympic medalist, had not competed for a year and would not be able to do any jumping because of injuries and his programme would not be so impressive otherwise either. If Sasha were the current Olympic gold medalist, I could see her closing a Russian show. Besides, I understand that she (as well Weir) are really popular in Russia.
    Popularity and that is why some skaters skate last in certain countries.

Custom Title
    I love Michelle = but I think it should be the Olympic champs

Skating Freak Barbie
    It's an American tour. I think the nationality of the tour and the skaters is looked at, as well as "popularity". If this were the Averbukh tour, I am sure Plushenko or Slutskaya or Tot/Mar would skate last. But it's an American tour, IN America. The most popular American skater is the closer. that is the business decision that's been made, and that's that.

Tripping on the Podium
    I voted Michelle, simply because that's really what everyone expects and she IS the most well-known name. Next year, though, if she does not compete, the honor should go to another elligible skater.

After seeing the show, I think she should be last. There was nice applause for the rest but a standing ovation when Michelle came out and lots and lots of applause. I bet that if she had not been last, a lot of the crowd would leave when she finished. I may be wrong of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3