Plushenko's Sitspin. | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Sitspin.

You guessed it, it's nitpick time.:p

Evegeni when he executes a sitspin, he bends his skating leg so that he is a quarter of the way down. He then crosses over his free leg to just below the knee of the skating leg and thrusts his fanny out.

One sits on his fanny and in a sitspin goes all the way down to that. I contend that Plushenko does not have a sitspin in his technical accomplishments.

Am I correct?

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
Joe, do you know any skater who has the straight back in a sitspin that Dick Button is always looking for? It seems that the nature of the spin causes a hunched back with most of the skaters.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
76olympics said:
Joe, do you know any skater who has the straight back in a sitspin that Dick Button is always looking for? It seems that the nature of the spin causes a hunched back with most of the skaters.

:love: Dorothy Hamill :love:

76olympics

On the Ice
Dorothy! My favorite! (see my screen name!). Thanks, SusanBeth, for reminding me! (I think I was stuck thinking about the men). Dorothy's layback is to die for too.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
You guessed it, it's nitpick time.:p

Evegeni when he executes a sitspin, he bends his skating leg so that he is a quarter of the way down. He then crosses over his free leg to just below the knee of the skating leg and thrusts his fanny out.

One sits on his fanny and in a sitspin goes all the way down to that. I contend that Plushenko does not have a sitspin in his technical accomplishments.

Am I correct?

Joe

Yes absolutely, totally and utterly agree with you! :agree:

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
76olympics said:

Which made me think - did Dick BUtton ever have a straight back? I've read and been told that its acceptable to round the shoulders slightly if you are getting into the all-the-way-down-you-bottom's-a-mere-inch-off-the-ice position.

Ant

76olympics said:
It's not the straight back I look for. I lookd for a sitspin that goes all the way down the way Jackson Haines invented it.

Lots and Lots of skaters do traditional sitspins. Michael Weiss has a terrific sitspin, Johhny Weir, Evan, Lysacek, even Stephane Lambiel when he's not too busy doing his thing. Many others, too. All these skaters with traditional sitspins have fanny almost scraping the ice. I have never seen Plush do one. I would have said the same about Yags but I did see him do one.

Going all the way down uses a lot of energy and strategy skaters do the half sits or in Plush's case the quarter sits. This saves energy. The level of sitspin should be 4 and skaters would be more aware of that.

The knee bent half way should have another name.

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
I guess I am not on the COP wavelength because I just LOVE the blurred fast scratch spins a la Paul Wylie (or even Todd Eldredge though I like Paul's better). Noone does these anymore because they don't garner the points that twenty-three tortuous positions in one spin do. ( a little off the topic of sitspins, but still spin related!).

sk8m8

Final Flight
Todd Eldridge is an excellent example of someone with a great sit spin. His back is aligned and he gets good extension on the free leg. I agree that Plushy's sit spins are not his greatest strength. Likewise, Oda has beautiful skating skills and executes his sit spin without fully reaching the ice or achieving a "sit" position.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
What about Kimmie's? Are her's good? I remember once a commentator (not sure if it was Dick) commented that she had a nice straight back in her sit spins, especially her back sit.

Vash01

Medalist
76olympics said:

Anton Sikharulidze! Even Dick Button praised his back ("best back in all of skating")

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
76olympics said:
Dorothy! My favorite! (see my screen name!). Thanks, SusanBeth, for reminding me! (I think I was stuck thinking about the men). Dorothy's layback is to die for too.

So were her spiral and scratch spin, and of course the Hamill Camel. Everything she did was beautiful and simple. There were no gimmicks. She is an example of "Greatness in simplicity".

Vash

I'm not a skater and this kind of thread is very helpful. I THOUGHT Plushenko's sitspins looked inadequate because they weren't far down enough. I like the hunched back look but the height is another thing altogether. It just looks so much easier to spin from a little tea-party sit than a full sit. Are skaters deducted for this, and if not, why not?

Jasper

Final Flight
You're right, Plushenko's sit is technically very poor. He doesn't get nearly low enough. But, since he's Evgeni Plushenko, no one seems to mind of course! I've never even heard the critical Dick Button mention that flaw in Plushenko's arsenal.

Jasper

Final Flight
Spun Silver said:
I'm not a skater and this kind of thread is very helpful. I THOUGHT Plushenko's sitspins looked inadequate because they weren't far down enough. I like the hunched back look but the height is another thing altogether. It just looks so much easier to spin from a little tea-party sit than a full sit. Are skaters deducted for this, and if not, why not?

Skaters should be deducted for this. But not him. He gets positive GOE on his spins. Why? Because he's Evgeni Plushenko.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
According to the judges Plushenko and Lysacek are the two best spinners in the World, and Buttle and Lambiel are average spinners. Ugly spins, that travel all over the place, and are super low, are better spins than fast spins, with excellent positions that are centred. Or maybe Russian or American spins are the best spins, whether they are fast or slow, travel or centred, or ugly or stretched.

goldberry99

Rinkside
If I remember correctly, didn't Tara have a good sit spin? She was tiny and got all the way down and I remember her free leg being horizontal to the ice, and I don't think she was hunched over that much.