Anybody want to bet that these will be exact medals at next Olympics? | Golden Skate

Anybody want to bet that these will be exact medals at next Olympics?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Would anybody like to bet 1000$ these will be the medals at the 2010 Winter Olympics:

Pairs:

Gold-Zhang and Zhang or Pang and Tong
Silver-Pang and Tong or Zhang and Zhang
Bronze-Dube and Davison

Men:

Gold-Lambiel
Silver-Oda
Bronze-Lysacek

Dance:

Gold-Belbin and Agosto
Silver-Moir and Virtue
Bronze-Mathews and Zazovin

Ladies:

Gold-Asada
Silver-Kim
Bronze-Meissner

I would bet the first person who takes up the offer $1000 that those will be the medals at the Olympics four years from now.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
bronxgirl said:
and 4 years ago you predicted Arakawa? :rofl:

I must concede that I did not. :chorus:

If fact if you asked me about her 4 years ago I would have said she was going to retire. She had not been on the Japanese World team for 4 years, being left off in favor of contempary rival Suguri, then the young upstart Yoshie Onda. I was surprised she even continued in the 02-03 season and came a strong 8th at Worlds.

rjulie510

Rinkside
Unfortunately I'm not sure Lambiel's knee would hold up until then. He already has plenty of issues with it. I hope I'm wrong though. It's way to early to make predictions, and upcoming season should give us better clues.

Brian Joubert after a series of poor skates leading up to the Olys, reverts to his Matrix and wins the gold.

Stephane Lambiel has not skated in 2 years due to more knee surgeries. He takes a shot of cortisone and places silver (arguably by many that it should have been gold)

Evan Lysacek in 12th place after the SP rebounds in the LP and wins the bronze since all the other hopefuls missed their quads, and most fell while attempting them.

Tommy Steenberg just misses the podium.

Kimmie Meisner edges out YaNu with a perfect 3A and a Lori Nichol routine.

Mao Asada moves up to third after a poor SP.

Sasha Cohen slips to 5th place after winning the SP.

Michelle Kwan makes the last group of 6 to skate with only two competed jumps.

Katy Taylor in Vancouver waiting for MK to withdraw.

Both Sasha and Michelle plan to stay around for 2014. They love to compete.

Far fetched predictions? I wonder.

Joe:biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
These prediction topics are starting to get BORING!!!. Figure skating is a very unpredictable sport. I don't think any betting agent would profit from it. Let's just wait and let everything unfold as it should. In figure skating there is always The dark horse.

:cool:

IDLERACER

Medalist
No, as a matter of fact I think the ladie's podium will be:

Gold: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Silver: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Bronze: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Joe, I like your predictions the best, LOL.

Slutskayafan said:
Gold-Belbin and Agosto
Silver-Moir and Virtue
Bronze-Mathews and Zazovin

Piel said:

Actually, it will be Belbin and Agosto, Mathews and Zavozin, and Meryl Davis and Charlie White! :rock: Continuing the tradition of U.S. domination of ice dance. (Russia cries foul -- the lyin', cheatin' judges never give us a chance!)

MM :)

alicelouise

Rinkside
Olympics 2010

Who Knows? If recent history is an indication, the anointed up and comer of the previous Olympics does not win. I am referring to the ladies. Let's start with 1992.

The winner: Kristi Yamaguchi. In 1988, she was probably looked at as a promising Pairs prospect. After the 1988 Olympics, it seemed the focus was on Midori Ito and Jill Trenary.

1994: Oksana Baiul. In 1992 her best finish was 12th place at the USSR Championships. The focus was on Nancy Kerrigan and Surya Bonaly.

1998: Tara Lipinski. Her biggest win was the US Junior Olympics I think. In 1994 the attention was on Michelle Kwan and Tanja Scewczenko.

2002: Sarah Hughes. Sarah was the 1998 US Jr. Champion. Since no US Jr. champion had won an Olympic Gold since Carol Heiss in 1960, the attention in 1998 was still focused on Michelle to win in 2002.

2006: Shizuka Arakawa. In 2002 she was considered a journeyman skater in her own country. After 2002 a slew of Japanese juniors were supposed to sweep the 2006 in no particular order.

Right now the Battle of '10 is supposed to be between Kimmie Meissner, Asada and Kim. The Anointed Ones usually do well but don't win.

So, if we look at just the US the skaters who fit the above profiles of Olympic Gold medalists are:

Katy Taylor and Beatrisia Liang: similar in profile to Shizuka Arakawa
The 2006 US Jr. Ladies Champion: similar in profile to Sarah Hughes
The Jr. Olympic Champion. I don't know if there is one.
The 12th place finisher of the US ladies.
A US skater who skates pairs and singles.

If we looked at the world the possibilities are vast.

My prediction for Ladies is that Kimmie M., Asada, or Kim will probably do well but not win.;)

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
...Kimmie Meisner edges out YaNu with a perfect 3A and a Lori Nichol routine.

Mao Asada moves up to third after a poor SP.

Sasha Cohen slips to 5th place after winning the SP.

Michelle Kwan makes the last group of 6 to skate with only two competed jumps.

Katy Taylor in Vancouver waiting for MK to withdraw.

Both Sasha and Michelle plan to stay around for 2014. They love to compete.

Far fetched predictions? I wonder.

Joe:biggrin:

I think your far fetched predictions are right on track. 2014 should be interesting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gregory & Petukhov GOLD IN VANCOUVER!!!!

yeah baby! :)

hey, it could happen

I agree with those that are naming people we've not even heard of yet... especially for ladies and pairs...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
IDLERACER said:
No, as a matter of fact I think the ladie's podium will be:

Gold: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Silver: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Bronze: Someone we've never heard of who is currently 13 years old but will be 16 in four years.

Sorry those days are over, we are back to the era of "ladies" winning medals at the Olympics as this years podium showed. The young peepstarts will only emerge at Worlds after the Olympics like this year. :rofl:

Jasper

Final Flight
4 years changes a lot. Nothing is that predictable.

And weren't you just saying that Lambiel's career is most likely over because of his knee issues? But suddenly you think he's ready to go another 4 years?

I would bet on a Chinese pair winning Gold in Vancouver, probably Zhang/Zhang.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Addendum to 2010

I'm still focusing on the Ladies.
If we were to have a Champion comparable to the 1994 OG, it would be someone from a country that is a power in skating but doesn't yet have at present a podium caliber ladies skater. Keep your eyes peeled for the 12th place finisher from these countries:

China
Canada
Switzerland
Ukraine
Germany
France
Bulgaria

Look for skaters that are journeyman status in their country. These would be skaters in the top 6 but not the top 3.

Skaters that did well(top 10) in Jr. Worlds, but didn't win. Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski fit this category.

For the men, if Plushenko stays, a Russian. There doesn't seem to be any up and coming Russian men at this time or women for that matter (will Elena G. change her country to Russia? just a side Query)