View Poll Results: Which areas is Plushenko overscored in?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • jump GOE

6 10.17%
  • spin levels

15 25.42%
  • spin GOE

21 35.59%
  • footwork

15 25.42%
  • skating skills

9 15.25%
  • transitions

27 45.76%
  • choreography

31 52.54%
  • performance

7 11.86%
  • interpretation

18 30.51%
  • no area is he overscored

14 23.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which areas is Plushenko overscored in?

Banned

Which areas is Plushenko overscored in?

I personaly find Evgeny Plushenko just as overscored as Evan Lysacek, maybe moreso, however not much attention is payed to it since he is good enough most times to deserve his wins, and his margin of victories are so big even with fair scoring he would still win the events most of the time. However what areas do you believe he is overscored in, if any?

Banned
    I am surprised anybody chose skating skills. That is the least likely area I thought anybody would vote for.

what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    He is NOT overscored

Custom Title
    I voted spin GOE, because I find his spins very sloppy, especially his sit spin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evenstar
    I voted spin GOE, because I find his spins very sloppy, especially his sit spin.
    Yeah he can barely do a novice sit spin, and yet gets +2s on GOE from some judges, the same they give the highest scoring of Lambiel and Buttle's stunning spins. Go figure.

Rinkside
    He was not overscored!

Tripping on the Podium
    Guh. Spins, and interpretation.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I voted spin GOE, his sit spin is not really a sit spin, is it??

Dee

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    I voted spin GOE, his sit spin is not really a sit spin, is it??

Dee
    Except for Todd Eldredge and a few others, I personally don't think ANYONE'S sit spin has been an ACTUAL sit spin since about 1981...... :sheesh:

Skating Freak Barbie
    Griazev gets a nice low sit-spin position....unfortunately, the effect is ruined for me when one gets into that "cannonball" position. Ugh.

Plushenko has two strengths:
    1. Jumps (probably the best ever)
    2. Performance (self-assuredness - it's his rink, the others are just skating in it)

His spins aren't great in terms of position, speed or centering. His footwork is overrated (muchos balance-checkos and much waving of hands to hide the fact that his feet aren't really doing that much).
    No choreography to speak of and what choreography there is is bad.
    No transitions .... ever? (okay, that's an exaggeration, let's say no transitions enjoy watching).

Rinkside
    I'm not absolutely agree.

1 He has great basic skating skills ( it couldn't be discussed )
    2 Plushenko's footwork. Very difficult and fast. If you mark his feet but not arms you will see it.
    3 Jumps ITA the best ever
    4 Performance ITA
    5 Plushenko's spins. Not great but normal
    6 No choreography and no transitions? May be this year. Ever? Lol that's really the exaggeration. And i enjoy his programms.
    7 Grace, flexibility, amazing lines.
    8 Consistant skating at least.

My opinion is that the only his weakness is his choreograph.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    Except for Todd Eldredge and a few others, I personally don't think ANYONE'S sit spin has been an ACTUAL sit spin since about 1981...... :sheesh:
    Really? for all her other flawes don't you think Tara's sitspin was a good sitspin - same as Todd's i'd say (Callaghan must be a good spin coach!)

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Alesya
    I'm not absolutely agree.

1 He has great basic skating skills ( it couldn't be discussed )
    Well actually everything can be discussed!! I happen to agree that some of basic skating is very good in terms of speed, ice coverage and flow. If you throw in posture though, this is not as good and he seems to struggle to keep extended and pointed doing basic turns like three turns.

2 Plushenko's footwork. Very difficult and fast. If you mark his feet but not arms you will see it.
    I did very specifically ignore the arm waving, head banging and hair flapping and when looking at his feet i saw him fall out of twizzles, jab the ice many times with toe picks seemigmly falling rather than stepping forwards from them and balance checking like crazy, and struggling to do clean extended three turns giving a frenetic look to all step sequences, including the most inapporpriate one during the circular footwork in his SP where the music was quieter and softer yet he went all out frenzied.

3 Jumps ITA the best ever
    On that we can agree - he can jump better than anyone in the business..how he manages to pop a triple lutz from nowhere i will neevr know!

4 Performance ITA
    I will agree with this now but relaying a funny Robin Cousins moment which sums it up perfectly. Robin once commented (a good three years ago now) that Evgeni does have this air of confidence, a slight arrogance that blows everyone else away - the comand on the ice is quite amazing. He commented that Evgeni has always had this and that actually when he first came onto the senior skating circuit it used to wind Robin up because he was a little upstart who really didn't ahve the reputation nor the titkles to exude such arrogance, but now he does!!

5 Plushenko's spins. Not great but normal
    Well i would say that they are below average in terms of rotational speed and centring and generally the positions are not great - his sit being the worst.

6 No choreography and no transitions? May be this year. Ever? Lol that's really the exaggeration. And i enjoy his programms.
    To me there's barely any choreography in his programs - he's been pretty much doing the same LP for the last quadrennial, and his short programs ALWAYS start the same up to the 4T/3T combination - check your tapes out!

7 Grace, flexibility, amazing lines.
    I don't think he's graceful, powerful yes but graceful no. I'm not sure he's as felxible as some - shawn sawyer and Rohene Ward are good examples of flexible, and if the pained expression on his face when trying to do a Biellmann was anything to go by i wouldn't say the effect of attempting to show off his flexibility did so well. Lines in my opinion are Pluschenko's worst area - the only posittion he truly gets adequate stretch and posture and line is his landing position. When he does his "footwork" his shoulders are hunched and rounded, he never extends his free leg or shows that he can hold a strong secure deep edge showing off nice lines and at one oint in his LP there is a three turn where he isn't totally over the skate and skids it, whilst not extending his free leg.

8 Consistant skating at least.
    A consistent skater he certainly is, and i don't think many peopel could claim to have the competitive drive, spirit and ability that he displays.

Ant

Excellent and balanced analysis, Ant, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast