Sasha's interview | Golden Skate

Sasha's interview

password

On the Ice
Oh wait...there was no interview. Fluff on Meissner plus two skates....fluff on kwan plus closing out the show. They even showed the interview with the russians. ...don't mix things up with Carruthers

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, I was waiting to see the freaking interview. They even interviewed Irinia & Plushenko. They could barely answer the questions. I was too mad.

password

On the Ice
Its more like they're making kimmie the new face of figure skating...taking the thrown from Kwan as they commemorate her accomplishments.
Sasha just get screwed...Weir has never gotten much support either.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think any skater got screwed, really. Maybe you could say Cohen was in a sense because her "announcement" was not shown (and maybe for good reason as well).

Kimmie is the new WC and therefore I see nothing wrong with the hype. I'm also glad we got to see some of the BTS Kimmie stuff including the pitch at the Phillies game. Thumbs up to the network for showing that! She is the same old cheery girl in interviews. That's part of what I like- the down to earth personality. Very approachable and genuine.

Otherwise, same old same old. Kwan's piece was nice even without any jumps.

R.D.

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
Yea, I was waiting to see the freaking interview. They even interviewed Irinia & Plushenko. They could barely answer the questions. I was too mad.

I heard MK got interviewed but she wasn't shown, either. Looks like many interviews were cut as well. But I liked that they showed the international skaters' interviews (and Kimmie's). MK and SC get interviewed all the time here, but it was nice to see some other skaters getting interviewed. That said, they could have reserved a couple of minutes for the two interviews that were cut out. It shouldn't have been that hard to fit it into the telecast.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Did Sasha make an earth shattering announcement? Forget the interviews, I want MORE KWAN!

psycho

On the Ice
I think the only ones who were screwed were the viewers. Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry than Kimmie skate, and of all the Olympic and World Champions present they show two skates by Kimmie?! Great job ABC :sheesh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kimmie IS the World Champion and finished higher than any other U.S. skater this season. She deserved two skates more than anyone else, especially for U.S. audiences. This is such an exciting time for her, it's fun to get to see it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Kimmie IS the World Champion and finished higher than any other U.S. skater this season. She deserved two skates more than anyone else, especially for U.S. audiences. This is such an exciting time for her, it's fun to get to see it.

ITA. That said, though, I didn't really like her exhibitions.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I liked the first one best. I am not really a fan of exhibition skating. It was such a relief to see Kwan upright on skates she could have read the COP and I would have been happy.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The competition during the past year has lowered our expectations......a lot:biggrin: !

ladybug

On the Ice
I think they interviewed Michelle after her first skate so they didn't show the interview. Maybe that was the same for Sasha.

Vash01

Medalist
flying camel said:

What's your point? If the skaters don't have English as their first language they should not be interviewed? I was glad that at least three non-US skaters were there and two of them were interviewed. They answered them in the best way they could. I was not really dying to hear Sasha's 'announcement'. A lot can happen between now and 2010. There could be tons of announcements between now and then. If this was 2009, that announcement would be a lot more meaningful.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And the Cohen fans?:confused:

OK, fine, you could apply that to most all fans. But I think there's a difference here because Cohen fans it seems have had to endure being a fan of someone who supposedly has the capability to win but never does. It sort of reminds me of being a fan of Houston sports teams...so close, yet so far...it's annoying but I continue to support them nonetheless. OTOH you have someone like Kwan who has won numerous competitions (except the Olympics). So when something happens to Kwan you get the "up-in-arms" situation from many of the fans.

I agree with a poster on another thread who said that many of the same Cohen fans who were mad about Kwan continuing to compete are now reconsidering since their favorite has expressed interest in continuing to three. At the same time, though, Kwan was a dominant skater at the time so more people wanted her to leave to "make room" for other skaters. You could say that for all veterans, though...i.e. that spot Cohen took up on the 06 worlds team could have been given to Katy Taylor who I'm sure would have loved to go, unlike her, and gotten some experience. Kimmie and Emily would have kept three spots, anyway. It goes on and on.

MKFSfan

Medalist
ladybug said:
I think they interviewed Michelle after her first skate so they didn't show the interview. Maybe that was the same for Sasha.

Supposedly Michelle had some sort of costume issue so ABC couldn't air her 1st performance, and had intended to. The interview was to follow that performance.

Red Dog said:
I agree with a poster on another thread who said that many of the same Cohen fans who were mad about Kwan continuing to compete are now reconsidering since their favorite has expressed interest in continuing to three. At the same time, though, Kwan was a dominant skater at the time so more people wanted her to leave to "make room" for other skaters. You could say that for all veterans, though...i.e. that spot Cohen took up on the 06 worlds team could have been given to Katy Taylor who I'm sure would have loved to go, unlike her, and gotten some experience. Kimmie and Emily would have kept three spots, anyway. It goes on and on.
RD - I understand your backing up Sasha. I don't think you were part of that group who wanted Kwan to retire, and I understand that group is having second thoughts that we just may be seeing Sasha in Vancouver (if she gets out of US Nats.). It seems two strikes going for a third. I hope to put a new thread on what the members of GS think about going for a third or in Kwan's case a fourth. I don't buy that onedayatatime.

But that was not my point. My point was you wrote "You Kwan Fans...." that implies you were saying ALL Kwan Fans. That's a no no in guidelines. The only clarifier to use is "SOME Kwan Fans". which is what I should have wrote instead of being sarcastic with Sasha.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - I understand your backing up Sasha. I don't think you were part of that group who wanted Kwan to retire, and I understand that group is having second thoughts that we just may be seeing Sasha in Vancouver (if she gets out of US Nats.). It seems two strikes going for a third. I hope to put a new thread on what the members of GS think about going for a third or in Kwan's case a fourth. I don't buy that onedayatatime.

But that was not my point. My point was you wrote "You Kwan Fans...." that implies you were saying ALL Kwan Fans. That's a no no in guidelines. The only clarifier to use is "SOME Kwan Fans". which is what I should have wrote instead of being sarcastic with Sasha.

Joe

You're right, I meant "some" Kwanfans. But my comment was to be taken lightly, hence the emoticon at the end.

I was not part of that group that wanted Kwan to retire, but my intention in that post, you understand, was not to "back up Sasha". ITA with you as well...to continue on for four more years, you better like it. And be prepared for anything and everything (just look what happened to Kwan and Slutskaya after THEY stayed in 4 more years after 02).

If I had it my way, this would be a new generation. Kimmie is no longer the future. She's arrived. She's the world champion. Kwan and Cohen are now stars of the past, and the ABC broadcast of Marshall's backed that up. It's up to them if they want to change that.

Last edited: