Skater gets cold shoulder (by USFS)- article | Golden Skate

Skater gets cold shoulder (by USFS)- article

76olympics

On the Ice
Eh- I just don't believe there is any such "intent." That said, I believe-with Jaana-that Johnny got carried away with the media spotlight and his "persona" this season and didn't pay enough attention to his skating. Johnny himself said this in his post-Olympic journal entry on his site (or said as much when he said he let himself get entangled in the media thing).

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
So the real question is which homophobe is threatening to withdraw support from USFS because JW has offended or p***** them off?

Actually, if you go to the USFS web page for nationals,

http://www.spokane2007.com/spokane2007/

the featured skaters in the big slide show are Lysacek, Kimmie, Belbin and Agosto and Inoue and Baldwin (with a smaller picture of Johnny).

Hey wait a minute! Where are Michelle and Sasha? Have they been broomed by USFS, too?

Personally, setting the gay/flamboyant/mouthy issue aside, I can see why Evan is prominently featured. He was the highest American male skater at the Olympics and at both the 2005 and 2006 worlds.

Maybe they are looking at Kimmie and Evan as the new fresh-faced all-American kids.

MM

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
MM after seeing the site I agree. They also seem to be showcasing Kimmie more that Sasha. It looks like whoever ranked highest at Worlds gets to be coverguy/girl/pair. I have a feeling this is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooong thread.:biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And why shouldn't they? Kimmie is the world champion...in fact it would be a slight to her if they DIDN'T showcase her. You want faces of the future, not the past.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Maybe they are looking at Kimmie and Evan as the new fresh-faced all-American kids.

It's wondering why Johnny wouldn't be included in that group that's raising eyebrows. They could be looking at Kimmie and Evan as the new fresh-faced all-American (unambiguously heterosexual) kids too.

harmonie

Rinkside
Mathman said:
I can see why Evan is prominantly featured. He was the highest American male skater at the Olympics and at both the 2005 and 2006 worlds.

Exactly. Those articles are franky ridiculous. Weir fans like it or not, Evan is the top USA male skater, and this has all to do with performances and nothing to do with sexuality.
More, as an European I'm frankly astonished that Evan don't get in the USA the recognition he greatly deserves.The USFA site has a banner were there is Weir and not Lysacek (!!!!), and in the list of skaters nominated for the "skater of the year" award Weir is listed ahead of Lysacek (!!!). So, should I think that the USFA prefers gay skaters over more successfull but straight ones? Probably I should... :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I think it makes sense. I doubt sexual orientation play(ed) a role in this decision. I don't have a problem with it. But it sure makes for good controversy...

harmonie

Rinkside
SusanBeth said:
It's wondering why Johnny wouldn't be included in that group that's raising eyebrows.

Sorry but I just don't understand why he should
It's Evan that has won two Worlds medals, not him.
And in spite of this he's been hiped by the press to no end...bleah. Very unfair.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
harmonie said:
Exactly. Those articles are franky ridiculous. Weir fans like it or not, Evan is the top USA male skater, and this has all to do with performances and nothing to do with sexuality.
More, as an European I'm frankly astonished that Evan don't get in the USA the recognition he greatly deserves.The USFA site has a banner were there is Weir and not Lysacek (!!!!), and in the list of skaters nominated for the "skater of the year" award Weir is listed ahead of Lysacek (!!!). So, should I think that the USFA prefers gay skaters over more successfull but straight ones? Probably I should... :sheesh:

Johnny, not Evan, is the US National Champion. He has won 3 US titles and Evan hasn't won Nationals or Worlds. Evan has given a couple of brilliant performances. Johnny has too.

The USFSA banner displays all the current US champions including the synchro champions. A new banner is put up every year after the conclusion of the synchro competitions. AFAIK, that's the way it's always been done. People get extremely impatient waiting until all nationals are over, so that the new champions can be pictured on the banner. It's become a tradition.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I don't know about the rest of the skating fans, but I judge skaters by their success at international competition moreso than success at national competitions, because in the end, that's where the noteriety comes from. Evan is clearly superior to Johnny results-wise on the international circuit, which is why ever since the Olympics I have considered Evan the top US male skater, sexual orientation having absolutely no part in it. The USFSA may well be realizing, that the public will wonder why Evan isn't the one being publicized, seeing as he is the one with the international medals, and altering their publicity accordingly.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I look at the performances. They are both extremely gifted skaters. However, Lysacek has had plenty of sloppy skates this season. (It took fortitude and stubborn survival instincts to endure watching and listening to his Grease program! ;) ) I don't believe he is Johnny's superior on the ice. There's not that much to choose between their records. Evan has 2 World Bronze medals to Johnny's 3 US titles. I can't see any reason for omitting Johnny except for his image.

soogar

Record Breaker
And Evan was the skater with the standout performance at the Olympics. That's the event most people see anyway.

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
People get extremely impatient waiting until all nationals are over, so that the new champions can be pictured on the banner. It's become a tradition.

IIRC, people get so impatient that, this year they put up a new banner with the old syncro champions and changed it after syncro championships. People were quite upset over there for a while. I suppose it's about the same as Sasha and Michelle were in 2004 and 2005, Michelle was the National Champion and Sasha was the top skater internationally. Both Johnny and Evan are young and I hope that both will improve their placements at worlds. I don't think that this has anything to do with Johnny's sexuality considering that Sasha was also not pictured.

EDIT: Also, Johnny is pictured right on the front page of the website right next to the thing that says buy tickets now. So he hasn't been completely neglected, it looks like they went with the top finisher at worlds in each catagory.

Last edited:

rob43

On the Ice
It shouldn't be that big of a deal. The Nationals 07 site shows what are obviously the highest finishers at 06 Worlds and the USFSA site will show the top finishers at 06 Nats til the 07 versions are crowned. When Hughes won the 02 OGM- Kwan was still on the USFSA banner (as she was when Cohen finished ahead of her in 04 & 05 worlds) because they always show Nat'l champs there.

That the event specific site chooses to use the top world finishers is seemingly innocuous. There choices were pretty obvious- Kimmie and Evan over Sasha and Johnny. Johnny is the sticky picture at the right now. And Kwan is in one of the pull down pages but no Sasha on the site.

I feel its fine whoever they put up as long as there is a consistant logic. And since when is USFSA not used to gay athletes- we really need to be honest with ourselves about that. And if some advertiser is really so worried about a homophobic reaction- they wouldn't sponsor FS, gymnastics, diving, swimming or anything other than footballl/baseball/basketball/NASCAR/hockey.

Still, I'm surprised not to see Sasha anywhere on the event page. She is the reigning Olympic silver medallist (Kimmie was sixth) in addition to being the U.S. National Champion.

To me, it does seem like they are touting the new kids on the block, at least for ladies.

And quite appropriately, IMHO. Sasha and Michelle might not be there.

However, to me, the larger question is whether figure skating in the U.S. has anything to gain or lose by consciously promoting it's macho side. Or would we be better off to let a thousand flowers bloom and the chips fall as they may?

Mathman :)

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmmm.....

They should highlight all the skaters (the top 3-4). Sexuality should be a non-issue (by the way this is from a Republican-I really hate it when people generalize about groups). They all contribute in their own unique ways and should be recognized. I don't like it when solid older skaters are bumped for the latest, greatest thing. They are all important in the world of skating after they reach a certain point.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So Johnny Weir is not the Poster boy for the USFSA? Wow, what a shock!! (ha, ha). In Canada we had the incomparableToller Cranston for years keeping the judges and the CFSA (now Skate Canada) on their toes. Fans got quite a "kick" our of what Toller would say or do or wear!!! One could always count on Toller to say something outrageous. Usually Toller was right. He called the shots when it came to judges behavior behind the scenes.

I think Johnny Weir is like Toller in a lot of ways. He is not afraid to be who he is on and off the ice. It may not win him any friends at the USFSA, but who cares?