A little kid's got a ... question. | Golden Skate

A little kid's got a ... question.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
:sigh:

Anyway...I am 11 and I started skating about two months ago and I am...well, pretty good at it as my parents and other "spectators" say. I can do a camel spin and all the pretty much "basic" spins and land a toe loop. I sometimes have trouble skating backwards but that isn't much of an issue.

So here's my question...I've been asking everyone..should I start practicing with a private coach for competitive skating or not? Is 11 too late to start?

What do you think?

I

IcyBallerina

To be realistic- too late for what? Too late to improve your skills and become a beautiful skater? Absolutely not. Too late to win a national title? Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes. However, if you only skate for titles, you might as well not skate at all, because the scores are not within your control. You skate because you love it, and you are NOT too old to love skating!

At your level, I recommend continuing group lessons in addition to practicing on your own time. If you feel you need a more one-on-one, detailed, and thorough approach, look into private lessons.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
It's a little hard to believe that you can do a camel spin after only skating for two months. And if you are having trouble skating backwards a toe loop woud be hard to land. Usually the first jump that is taught is a waltz jump, then a salchow and then the toe loop. But in order for you to do a toe loop you must be able to do a inside 3 turn. Can you do your 3 turns? When you say "basic spins" what spins would you mean?

I would encourage you to take skating lessons ( group or private). One is never too old to skate and 11 is still young. Good luck.

sparkskater

Rinkside
If you really put your effort into it, you can still make it to the higher levels of competition and seeing that you can already do a camel spin after two months, you're improving very fast. Keep at it and remember to skate because it is fun and you enjoy it, (of course, winning is nice too)

o and also, if you aim for competition, you definitely need a private coach but be prepared for it cause it does take alot of work :)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Miss Ice said:
:sigh:

Anyway...I am 11 and I started skating about two months ago and I am...well, pretty good at it as my parents and other "spectators" say. I can do a camel spin and all the pretty much "basic" spins and land a toe loop. I sometimes have trouble skating backwards but that isn't much of an issue.

So here's my question...I've been asking everyone..should I start practicing with a private coach for competitive skating or not? Is 11 too late to start?

What do you think?

No,it's not late! Maria Butirskaya started skating in 12!

MsLutzy

Rinkside
anything_for_skating said:
No,it's not late! Maria Butirskaya started skating in 12!

Don't forget Johnny Weir! He also started skating at the age of 12, and look! Nationals Champion and everything. Of course, you have to prepare to train hard and not give up easily.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
It's definitely not too late! Even if you don't make it big time like Michelle Kwan or Irina Slutskaya, there are still plenty of things you can do! I started skating three years ago, at 22, and last month I competed at Adult Nationals! You can compete standard track, and when you turn 21 there is always the option of competing as an adult, which is a lot of fun. You can join a synchro team, there you don't need to have mastered all those tricky triple jumps. Collegiate skating is growing in popularity, both for individual skaters and for synchro. It's never to late to start skaing, no matter what your age or what level you reach there is always something to do.

Stars on Ice

Rinkside
Hey I'm 13 and I started skating about 1/2 year ago!! And i too think 11 is not to late! Just have fun and enjoy yourself! =)

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Too late?
Doubt it....
If you can land toe loops after 2 months, you should be doing triples by Christmas...:)

evenstar

Final Flight
You can never be too old to start! You'd have to be very lucky and you'd have to work extremely hard if you wanted to go to nationals, though.

Good Luck!

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
It is never too late to do anything that you love and have the passion to do. Get some private lessons and aim to achieve the highest you can go. There is always something to learn and something to practice to get better and better. Go for it!!!!!! Good Luck!

Cornelia

Spectator
no no no!!!!it isn't late!!!it's never late!!anyway i'm 15, i'm older than you but i think it's NEVER late!go for it!!!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
You're never too old to learn to skate! So okay, you might not make the Olympics, but then, very few people ever do that. But you will certainly skate well enough to be competitive against other people of your age and skill level, and to have the most enormous fun with the sport - and that's what really matters! :yes:

peachy

Rinkside
yeah it's definitely not too late to start learning... I only started skating when I was 12.