How Good Are You At Geography? -- Riddle | Golden Skate

How Good Are You At Geography? -- Riddle

• Thread starter HamiltonBrowningFan
  • Start date
H

HamiltonBrowningFan

How Good Are You At Geography? -- Riddle

ok... of all 50 States which is the farthest...

North?
South?
East?
West?

good luck ;)

4dogknight

Re: How Good Are You At Geography? -- Riddle

Northernmost point: Point Barrow, Alaska
Easternmost point: West Quoddy Head, Maine
Southernmost point: Ka Lae (South Cape), Hawaii
Westernmost point: Cape Wrangell, Alaska1
Geographic center (50 states): in Butte County, S.D.
(44' 58' N. lat., 103' 46' W. long.)
Highest point: Mt. McKinley, Alaska (20,320 ft)
Lowest point: Death Valley, Calif. (282 ft below sea level)

Source:www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004924.html

4dk

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

you got East wrong

here's why

the International Date Line goes round the world... Alaska's Aluetian Islands extend to the "other side" of that line... making Alaska the Eastern most state ;)

M

mathman444

That was a good one, HBFan!

Mathman

D

Dee4707

Southernmost point: Ka Lae (South Cape), Hawaii--I was there and had my picture taken by the sign.:lol: :lol:

Dee

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

thank you, MathMan ;)

4dogknight

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>you got East wrong
here's why
the International Date Line goes round the world... Alaska's Aluetian Islands extend to the "other side" of that line... making Alaska the Eastern most stat[/quote]

Not true! According to "Saling Thru Science, International Date Line":

www.goals.com/sailscin/dateline.htm

"6.Notice that on the globe the IDL does not follow the 180° longitude line directly. Can you think of a reason for this?

(Answer:The line is deflected eastward through the Bering Strait and westward of the Aleutians to prevent separating these areas by date. The line is again deflected eastward of the Tonga and New Zealand Islands in the South Pacific for the same reason)."

See also the following sites:

aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs..._date.html

And from:
www.phys.uu.nl/~vgent/idl...he%20Samoa

"Most internet sites on time zones and the IDL give incomplete or out-dated information, one of the very few that does give a correct depiction is www.worldtimezone.com/. "

If the International Date Line were to hold absolutely to the 180° longitude line, then and only then, would your answer to the question be true.

I stand behind my answer, 4dk

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

while that's true that they don't have a different time and date... they're still over the dateline :lol:

4dogknight

HBF: One of us is confused.
If I'm understanding what you are stating is that the International Date Line is at the 180 degree parallel. And this line does not vary in degrees and that the 180 degree line runs through the Aleutian Islands.

Am I re-stating your position correctly?

What I'm saying is that while the IDL (International Date Line) was created at the 180 degree line, over the years through treaties the line has been 'bumped' in several places. And one of those 'bumps' is because of the sale of Alaska to the United States by Russia.

But for a better illustration of the 'bumps' please access:
www.goals.com/sailscin/dateline.htm

So you can see why I'm confused when you say:
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>while that's true that they don't have a different time and date... they're still over the dateline[/quote]

Please expand on the above.

Thanks eversomuch
4dk

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

techincally it doesn't... because they don't want the islands to be totally off from the rest of the state... but there are a couple that are across even the "revised" line... no one lives on those though :lol:

B

BronzeisGolden02

Good one, here's another

This was a trivia question that I heard the other day. What US state has the least coastal area in square miles?

M

mathman444

Re: Good one, here's another

Help me understand the question better, B-is-G. What exactly does "coastal area" mean (or is that part of the joke?) There are lots of states that don't have any "coasts" at all. (?)

Mathman

B

BronzeisGolden02

Clarification

Of the states that HAVE coastal areas which has the least?

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: Clarification

Rhode Island would be my guess....

M

mathman444

South Carolina (72 square miles)?

Now, about the farthest East. Semisopochnoi Island, Alaska, is located at 179 degrees, 45 minutes East longitude -- within a quarter of a degree of the farthest East it is possible to be on the whole globe. Amatignah Island, Alaska, is located at 179 degrees 10 minutes West longitude -- almost as far West as possible. Does this consideration trump local whims about how to set one's watch and calendar, as represented by the meanderings of the International Date Line? After all, the Date line has to do with political boundaries, not geography.

I just put "easternmost and westernmost Aleutian Islands" into my search engine and got page after page of Alaska-philes making this argument -- Down with the Date Line, Up with Greenwich!

trivia question: Which means of travel did Phileas Fogg NOT employ in his 'round the world adventure?

Balloon
Elephant
Train
Steamship

Mathman:p

P

Ptichka

No, MM. I believe it's New Hampshire -- only 18 miles!!!

4dogknight

Ptichka:
I think you are correct. I thought of Alabama having the least amount of coast line but when I looked it up, I found that Alabama has 32 miles and New Hampshire has 18 miles of coast line.

Mathman:
I haven't figured out the answer to your question.....yet.
Have you seen the series on the SciFi channel, The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne starring Michael Praed as Phileas Fogg? It's on pretty late, or early depending if you view the glass as half empty or half full - Fridays about 2:00 a.m. cst.

One question, are we talking about the modes of transportation as depicted in the book or in the movie/TV versions?
(Film - 1956 - David Nivin, TV Mini-Series - 1989 - Pierce Brosnan. And there is a new film currently in production starring Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan.)

4dk

M

mathman444

The book. Movie adaptations later used a lot of license in spicing up the actual traveling part of the story. So much so that when I finally did read the book, I said to myself, hey, wait a minute, what about the ...?

No, I haven't seen the Michael Praed series. But there was a science fiction book, well known decades ago, by Philip Jose farmer called "The other log of Phileas Fogg" that retold the story in terms of what was <strong>really</strong> going on -- Fogg batting the sinister plots of secret conspiracies, etc. I wonder if the TV series was based on that idea.

Ptichka, that was the reason that I asked Bronzeisgolden to clarify the question. When she said "coastal <strong>area</strong> in square miles," that means something different from "linear miles of sea coast." In fact, I wasn't too sure <strong>what</strong> it meant. But evidently "coastal area" is a geological designation, like "tundra, steppe, prairie," etc., so the question does make sense as posed. I still don't know the answer however.

But the more I think about it, New Hampshire is probably right for both questions. NH being so far north, it's "coastal area" probably does not extend very far inland. (?)

Mathman

B

BronzeisGolden02

Oops, I forgot I had posed a riddle!

The answer is New Hampshire. Sorry guys, I forgot that I had posted a riddle! Mathman, LOL, you are quite the analytical one (and a fellow member of the sacred Kwan society LOL!). I was asked this question the other day and never guessed New Hampshire. But, what I have found on the net seems to support this. So, someone come up with another!