They say to drink a lot of water, but it doesn't work. | Golden Skate

They say to drink a lot of water, but it doesn't work.

K

Kzarah

They say to drink a lot of water, but it doesn't work.

Well, it's July and the hot weather should soon be here any day now. Actually, today it was almost 70 degrees. The problem is that I don't handle the heat very well. When, I am hot, (temp wise,) I cannot move. Don't any one talk to me or ask me to do anything. Usually it doesn't get unbearable until September, but, people are saying this year it is going to be a hot one. Now, here in Coastal Southern California it should say cool in the morning, then warm up in the afternoon and cool off in the early evening. But for some reason though, the bedroom can stay warm. We have a swamp cooler that in no way compares to an air conditioner. I can't afford an air conditioner right now. When I can't sleep comfortblely at night, I am a basket case the next day. It's the only time of the year that I use bad language. They say to drink a lot of water, but it doesn't work. Fans just blow hot air. Cold showers help, but the effects are short lived. Now the hairy one doesn't mind the heat and sleeps quit well when it's warm. Are there any secrets that someone might want to share with me? There probably is no answer except count the days until the fall is here. I guess I just needed to ventilate my dread.
Love
Daniel and Little Lulu
PS
The ice rink near my house has been changed into a warehouse so the idea of going to the rink is out.
D and LL

T

tharrtell

Re: They say to drink a lot of water, but it doesn't work.

Eat ice. Works better than water, IMO. I'm from San Francisco - one of the things I love about this place is the moderate climate - so what if July's a bit foggy - I'll take the fog over extremes any day. Last week temps hit the high 90's. Ugh. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a pain. No one has air conditioning because it isn't typically needed. I was sitting in class, and it felt like a boiler room - imagine absorbing organic chemistry under those conditions! Also, had absolutely no energy at work - hardly moved from my desk. Yeah, I'm a baby! Anyway, it's also the only time I really get grouchy ... luckily the fog has rolled in. Good luck with the heat - I hope it's a mild summer.

S

Show 42

Daniel, you mentioned fans just blow hot air, I agree, but ceiling fans do a much better job circulating air. Have you thought about a portable air conditioner just for the bedroom? It might be affordable if it's limited to just one room.....42

K

Kzarah

Show, a portable air conditioner cost from $700.00 - $1,000.00. I would love to have one but I just moved and with moving cost a portable air conditioner is no affordable right now.
tharrtell
I heard it got in the 90s in SF a few days ago. That must have been hell. No your not a baby, the heat does drain the energy from you. I would eat ice but I have sensitive teeth. I did think of soaking my feet in ice water while I watch TV.
I did think of starting up a kitty on the golden skate to buy an air conditioner, but I don't think it is part of GS policy. Besides, Kevin won't let me accept charity.
Daniel and Little Lulu

S

sk8m8

a hankerchief

When I used to play tennis, we used to put ice water on a hankerchief and wrap it around our necks. Lot's of heat is generated above the neck. It really does cool you down. I guess I am just thankful you don't have our 90+weather and 50+ humidity. The air just sort of hangs on you in GA.

Keeping some clothes in the freezer in a ziplock bag works too. As for the AC, a portable one that just cools one room should be around a 150-200 $ check out
www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fHeating+%26+Cooling&BV_SessionID=@@@@0849036665.1057044910@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladcijmjfhjjcgelceffdfgidgmj.0&MID=9876 for some pretty good prices at Home Depot online. Good luck

K

Kara Bear

Re: a hankerchief

A couple of months ago we bought an air conditioner at walmart for 150 bucks. (And thats Canadian!)It's small, but its good for the bedroom. We close the drapes and shut the door so its cool when we go to bed. I can't sleep when its hot.

B

Blue Bead

Re: a hankerchief

Daniel, I know what you mean about hot weather draining the energy right out of you. Happens to me too. I don't have air conditioning either. What helps me the most on those beastly hot days is a spray bottle filled with water and a fan. I spray water on my forearms, neck, face and sometimes my legs, and then sit in the breeze of the fan. Even if it is blowing hot air it is the evaporative cooling of the water on my skin that cools me down fast!

I have also used a bandana soaked in cold water and draped around the back of my neck with the ends falling over my collarbones. Of course, if anybody sees me like that with my shirt soaked from the water they wonder what I've been doing to work up such a sweat on that hot day. :rolleyes: That isn't too bad, though, 'cause then people sympathize with you :lol: , bring you cold drinks and stuff.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue Bead

S

sk8er1964

Heat

I know this sounds strange, but when I was a kid I used to lay on the floor in front of the fan, with a big bowl of ice between the fan and me. The air from the fan gets cooled by the ice. Also, my parents used to put a fan in the window and blow the hot air out of the house - don't know why it worked, but it did.

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Heat

Go to a marina or campground and buy a big block of ice. Put it between the fan and you (it works better than ice in a bowl). Remember to have a big enough basin under the ice to catch all the water. dpp

K

Kzarah

DORISPULASKI
Do you think that dry ice will work just as well. I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't melt as fast.
Daniel and Little Lulu

D

dlksk8fan

Daniel-
Dry ice is very cold so if you use it don't touch it because it can freeze your skin off. It is also expensive.

I have an idea. Buy a small blow up pool and fill it with ice then add water and sit in it:lol:

L

Ladskater

Move to the coast - rain, rain, rain, sun, rain, rain, rain...you get the picture! Shorts are a waste of money here. If we do get hot sunny days, it is soon followed by a torential rain fall. I hope when folks arrive here for the Olympics they remember to bring their rain gear. They are going to need it!

Ladskater

"Raindrops keep falling on my head...."

PS - eating cucumbers is supposed to help keep one cool - a lady from Iran told me that. I guess she would know!

J

Joesitz

THEY are wrong. If you're not thirsty, DONT drink water. If you think you hydrating, take a gulp of water.

We get a lot of fluids elswere than water - from juices and food.

Too much water in the system is now believed to cause problems but I can't remember what I have recently read.

Joe