getting your leg through | Golden Skate

getting your leg through

in my axel and double salchow, i ususally get the full rotation, but my coach always says to bring my leg through. can anyone explain this to me???

thanks

(also i have tried everything for my backspin, i sometimes getting rotation but she says to get my wait over my hip.....? and need balance...)

antmanb

Record Breaker
When my coach talks about "getting your leg through" on the axel he usually means that i should be kicking the free leg up higher before taking off. I have a tendancy to chicken out on my attempts and he says i tend to jump with the free leg only about level with the jumping leg. He wants me to have the free leg all the way through and up at the point the toe pick of the jumping foot leaves the ice. If you look at the elite skaters its the difference between the axels that look like they're "stepping up" into the axel (like Pluschenko does) as opposed to the ones that seem to jump with the free leg almost trailing rather than coming through to the front (Joubert sometimes does this.)

I've noticed that when i do get my leg all the way through the jump is much higher. I haven't started working on any on-ice doubles but presume the comment on the salchow is the same idea.

Ant

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Another thing that might be happening is that you are swinging your free leg around, instead of bringing it up and through -- especially if you are popping alot.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
.x.iceprincess.x. said:
(also i have tried everything for my backspin, i sometimes getting rotation but she says to get my wait over my hip.....? and need balance...)
The thing with the backspin is that it's just like the forward spin. If you see what I mean.... so while when you do an ordinary upright or scratch spin you have your weight totally over your left hip (assuming you are not a clockwise skater), for the backspin, you need your weight totally over your right hip. I'm struggling wiht both spins right now, although my backspin's often better, technically, than my upright. Also for the backspin you must have your left leg crossed in front, whereas in an ordinary spin you can usually get away without crossing your legs.