Sasha Might Skip GP | Golden Skate

Sasha Might Skip GP

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Thanks for the article. It sounds more and more to me that Sasha will follow what Michelle has done in the past, skip the GP and only compete at Nationals and Worlds.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I believe a skater and their team should decide what competitions and how many a skater should do each year. I think skaters like Michelle and Sasha don't need the benefits of the GPS the same way as the up comers do from GPS, milege and finacial, any longer. And their bodies are obviously showing the years of wear and tear, so they have to perserve if they'd like to avoid early retirement and a walker. Irina, on the other hand, is healthier than ever and still needs the finacial help, so I'm sure she'll continue to do the GPs if she stays eligible.

But what I wonder is, wasn't there a new ruling that a seeded skater has to do the GPS or cannot participate in ISU sanctioned events? This will kill Cheesefests and keep Sasha out of Worlds. BUT if Sasha doesn't want to do Worlds 2007, then she'll be unseeded in 2007-08, and can skip the GPS again! May be a smart move on Sasha's part, actually.

password

On the Ice
honestly, I'd think she and kwan were crazy if they did do the GP stuff. If they want ANY shot at 2010, they gotta pace themselves...its kind of sad to say considering their only in their twenties. (At least their not gymnasts...those girls usually burn out by the time their 20).

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think Sasha will be going to Worlds or Nationals. I have a feeling she will take a year off of competing and then resume in 2007-2008 season.

I think this is a good route to take for her. I have a feeling that there is something more going on with her than meets the eye.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think it might be a smart thing for her to do. She needs to get healthy and I don't believe she is right now. At any rate, I only have best wishes for Sasha in her future in whatever she chooses to do.

R.D.

Record Breaker
first off, thanks for the link.

But secondly, I was expecting to read that she might just take the year off. Forgive me for a moment but I just don't understand this "reduced competition" type scheduling. Kwan started this trend after 02 and it looks like her compatriot is following the same steps. Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but from my opinion either do the whole thing or get out.

But it's their decision, and my rambling. Whatever, I guess.

She' really aping Kwan here. This will propel Meissner into the forefront for the Nats. It's also going to irk Speedy.

Joe

password

On the Ice
Where in the article did she say she was never doing GP again in her career (however long that might be)? She's talking about skipping it THIS year which makes sense after the mental and physicall stress of last season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Skipping it is skipping it. No ands or buts. If she's tired, she should sit out the year. She needs the break if reports are true. Or she should just give it up. IMO of course.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
What is interesting is that she (and Kwan) have the option of sitting out the year, in a way that neither would have had it before. After all, in all the years that MK has been at Worlds, how did the other two skaters score well enough to secure three spots for US ladies for the next year? Certainly, without MK and SC in Moscow, it is doubtful that the US would have placed well enough to earn three spots in Torino. However, Emily and Kimmie demonstrated that they will probably be able to secure three spots for US ladies for the 2008 Worlds, even if both MK and SC sit the year out.

Lanie

On the Ice
Sitting out an entire year is stupid because you lose so much conditioning and everything. I doubt Sasha could come back strong at all after taking a year off.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think Cohen will be fine for Nationals and Worlds, and may peak there, instead of earlier in the season.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Would she continue with Nicks?

I thought that Nicks came out of retirement to take Sasha back on as a pupil? I presumed that he would slip back into retirement after the Torino Olympics. So my question is - does Nicks want to do this for another four years too? If not, who might Sasha go to? In fact it is the off season...who would you like to see Sasha taking lessons from?

Ant

Lanie

On the Ice
John Nicks still coached younger skaters at the rink while he was "retired" from coaching eligible skaters like Sasha. I'm sure he'll still be coaching the youngsters at Aliso Viejo. :)

I'd love to see Sasha back with TT or Robin Wagner. Why? They made her work. She's gotta get that 24/7 discipline down, but at the same time she shouldn't stretch herself too much which is what killed it with TT. I'd love to see Sasha programs choreographed by Christopher Dean. :love:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
John Nicks still coached younger skaters at the rink while he was "retired" from coaching eligible skaters like Sasha. I'm sure he'll still be coaching the youngsters at Aliso Viejo. :)

I'd love to see Sasha back with TT or Robin Wagner. Why? They made her work. She's gotta get that 24/7 discipline down, but at the same time she shouldn't stretch herself too much which is what killed it with TT. I'd love to see Sasha programs choreographed by Christopher Dean. :love:

Actually i think i had read the stories of his "semi retirement" because he was teaching some youngsters - thanks for reminding me. I guess though it must be just as tough for the coach (dare i say it, especially a coach of Sasha's) to go through teh emotionally rollercoaster of competing and travelling with the skater to all of her competitions too. I can't remember now but i thought there were articles at the time that he would only continue with her until Torino. I guess things change though.

As for coaches...she coudl do with spending a couple of months with Mishin to get her jumping technique solid and maybe learn a bit about competition nerve from Pluschenko!!

As for choreogprahers - is her relationships with TT too fractured to hire her as a choreogrpaher? AS for Chris Dean - while i think he is an exceptional choreographer i don't think he's that good for elligible singles skaters programs. He is too much of a true artist and i think someone that artistically minded finds working within the CoP too constricting.

Ant

Sasha's problem in competitions, imo, is not TT; not Wagner; not Nicks. Sasha's problem stems from her expectation of having won before the fact. I think her fantasies take hold of her and when she gets on the ice, she becomes aware that this competition is not a fantasy and results in her losing it. There is no easy remedy for this and there is no coach or choreographer that can solve the problem, imo.

Sasha has been a contender for international gold medals for some time now. She comes close but somehow loses it along the way. Like Kwan and the Oly gold, I think timing has not been kind to Cohen. The yunguns are moving on up.

Let's hope I wrong.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think it's a win/win decision: Cohen gets time off to rest, work on new programs, and decide what's she's doing for the season, and there are two open spots for other skaters in the GP, and probably a spot at GPF (were she to compete in two GP's.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
In an article posted somewhere else today she says she's undecided about her future.