MK at White House | Page 3 | Golden Skate

MK at White House

(OK, third time's the charm.)

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2006-04/22/content_574246.htm

R.D.

Record Breaker
cool, thanks. I only got the link to work in IE. I use Netscape regularly and cutting and pasting still didn't work. But it's nice to have some words accompany those pictures. Thanks.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the link. She is such a special young lady. Her parents have done a wonderful job.

mzheng

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
I'm wondering how well Michelle speak Chinese. Some American Born Chinese don't speak much Chinese at all. If Michelle does not speak any Maderine, I guess she can not communicate with President Hu.
Michelle speaks Cantoness well, but broken Maderine. She and President Hu may talk to each other in english, assume his English is not as broken as Kwan's Maderine.....:laugh:

For me, Cantoness is more difficult to understand than English. :laugh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
heyang -- maybe you can satisy my curiosity. is it easier for a Cantonese-speaker to learn Mandarin than it is for someone who never spoke any of the Chinese languages/dialects, or, would learning Mandarin be equally difficult for both?
The dialects in China sounds so different, almost like different languages. But they are in the same written characters. (Thanks to the King of Ching dynastics, about 2000 year ago, who was the one unified the chinese characters.) In south china, especially near Canton and FuChou, two valliges seperated by a mountain could speak total differently, one can't understand another.....guess it had something to do with the poor transportation within the country. ppl hardly move from one place to another....But now with more developed economic env, ppl can move around the country, so the maderine gets more popular. Although Maderine had been claimed to the official language in china (mainland) since 1950. All school student are suppose to speak maderine in school, but how could you inforce the rule when the teachers (in country side) can't speak themselves?

It's the transportation and motivation of survive. Mordern transportation brought ppl from country side to the city, and good econoimcs in city also attracted workers from country side (for example, a house keeper in big city, shanghai/pejing/canton, can make more than those hold a government job country side or remote earea) to big city. To survive in big cities, you have to speak Maderine.

For me, for all my life I can't understand the Cantonese. But I have to understand English to be able to survive.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
According to the article:

"She also spoke briefly in Mandarin with President Hu _ Kwan is fluent in Cantonese, but understands some other Chinese dialects. He asked her how her injuries are healing."

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"I was so honored to be at the White House, let alone be sitting next to President Bush and President Hu and at the same table as Condoleeza Rice. It was a huge honor."
I bet it was great for Condoleeza as well. She is an avid figure skating fan.

Kwan was in a receiving line when she was pulled aside by Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld to show her a side room at the White House.
That sounds frightening!!!

Dee

LOL. Garrett isn't, but this guy is. (Well, his dad is, anyway.)

Here is Michelle's friend, Christian Anschutz (farthest left), at the opening of new facilities for the treatment of drug addiction at the "Anschutz Center for Advanced Medicine" at the University of Colorado.

The new facility was established by a gift of $10,000,000 from the Anschutz Foundation.

MM

Last edited:

Tinika

Rinkside
Mathman said:
LOL. Garrett isn't, but this guy is. (Well, his dad is, anyway.)

Here is Michelle's friend, Christian Anschutz (farthest left), at the opening of new facilities for the treatment of drug addiction at the "Anschutz Center for Advanced Medicine" at the University of Colorado.

The new facility was established by a gift of $10,000,000 from the Anschutz Foundation.

MM

Oh, yes. The Anschutz family is extremely powerful in Colorado.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Oh, so it's Garrett! Thanks!

And that is Christian Anschultz...I thought people said he went to DC with her.

Yes, he did (but they didn't let him sit at the head table with her, LOL.)

Actually, though, Phillip Anschutz is a big Republican A-lister in his own right. The family fortune was based on grandpa Anschutz stiking it rich in oil prospecting. (He's worth 4.5 billion now.)

Phillip Anschutz was in the news recently because he bought the San Francisco Chronical newspaper and people have wondered whether his crusading on behalf of anti-gay legislation would end up affecting the editorial policies of the paper.

(That's A-lister, not licker.)

MM