Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ISU limits the use of Biellman Spin starting next season

Quote Originally Posted by passion
    Just a question or thought, why are people sick of Bielmann? Why don't people say, I'm sick of camel or I'm sick of sit spin? Often, you will see one/both in various combinations, but they are there probably more than once in a program.
    Well camel or sit (along with upright) are the three basic spinning positions therefore it demonstrates the basic skating skills of a skater and every skater should demonstrate the ability to do all of the above three spins to a very high standard. The layback is a separate skill that the woman all have to demonstrate but technically it is a variation of an upright spin.

The Biellmann spin is a variation of the upright spin and i think people complain because eveyone is doing it because of the level enhancer it gives to an upright spin and the fact that many people are not doing it very well, just barely managing it in order to get the points bonus.

I more comparable complaint might be to complain about the number of pancake spins rather than a sit spin etc.

Ant

Custom Title
    Just a question or thought, why are people sick of Bielmann? Why don't people say, I'm sick of camel or I'm sick of sit spin? Often, you will see one/both in various combinations, but they are there probably more than once in a program.
    Because it seemed that every other minute all the ladies were going to extraordinary effort to grab their foot and yank it over their heads. It didn't matter if it fit with the music. It didn't matter really what the position looked like as long as the foot was over the head.

A really good Beillmann is a thing of beauty. I enjoy seeing a Beillman done with a great position and speed. Beillmann, Ruh, and Czisny do them so well. The others look like awkward and painful contortions. Seeing them once in a program is not pleasant and seeing them several times a program is tiresome and takes away from the enjoyment of the skating.

Custom Title
    The problem with Biellmanns is that they are rewarded with increased points and as a result are overused. They used to have a bit of a wow factor but now, with everyone doing them, they are boring. If someone can do one, one is enough to prove it. We get the message! They also need to stop encouraging them in spirals and reward a true free-leg spiral, which in the past several years only two skaters--Sasha and Michelle--have done well.

Thank you, skate gods..........the only people who can do the Bielman justice are Denise, Lucinda, and Sasha............42

Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Thank you, skate gods..........the only people who can do the Bielman justice are Denise, Lucinda, and Sasha............42
    Not my favorite spin but Show42. Have you not seen Allissa's? Sasha told Nicks that she wants to spin like her.

Joe

Custom Title
    Because, this move garners lots of points, and despite the fact that most skaters have poor positions, they will earn the extra points for the effort.

And using this point -getter just to make points detracts from any real artistsy any mediocre skater might achieve.

Now, Off with the more than one catch-foot spiral position.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Because, this move garners lots of points, and despite the fact that most skaters have poor positions, they will earn the extra points for the effort.

And using this point -getter just to make points detracts from any real artistsy any mediocre skater might achieve.

Now, Off with the more than one catch-foot spiral position.
    So much a figure skating includes attempts which get points. I'm trying to think of another sport which gives points for attemps. Kicking for extra points in football and missing, putting for a birdie, losing balance on the beam, etc. the question should be why does figure skating maintain a pussy foot sport?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    So much a figure skating includes attempts which get points. I'm trying to think of another sport which gives points for attemps. Kicking for extra points in football and missing, putting for a birdie, losing balance on the beam, etc. the question should be why does figure skating maintain a pussy foot sport?

Joe
    That is acutely a FANTASTIC point! That would be nice to rid the sport of that aspect IMO. Just as a first impression, yes. Attempted to finish the race, he tried to stay on the rings, yah...what is that really for - doesn't seem to be good for the sport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2