2006 CSOI Halifax Review | Golden Skate

2006 CSOI Halifax Review

ceg15

On the Ice
Moderators: Feel free to move this if there is a more appropriate spot for it.

Ok, to start off, the show was absolutely amazing!!! There was a screen in each of the 4 corners of the rink and Scott Hamilton would come on the screens once in awhile to do some narraration. These screens showed advertisements while skaters were skating and they were sometimes distracting when they changed advertisements while a skater was in the middle of a program. I'm just going to write comments about the skaters/programs in no particular order. Ok, here it goes...

Jeff Buttle - First number was his short program from this season. He did a great job, this is such a charming, entertaining and very artistic program. He had a fall on the triple lutz, but kept smiling, as usual :). For his 2nd number, he skated to High by James Blunt (beautiful song). He had a really hard fall on triple loop in the beginning... it was a really bad takeoff though, and in the air it just got worse...you could tell he was mad this time, and it looked like it hurt, the audience gasped. But the rest of the program was great, and if I remember correctly, he got a standing ovation. I love this boy with all my heart!

Todd Eldredge - I've never been a huge fan of his, but he is such a good skater. So, for his first number he skated to Alexander's Ragtime Band (or something like that...) it was a good program. He is an incredible spinner...wow. He did some double axels, and some triple sals I believe. For his 2nd number, he skated to Bolero, it was a nice musical program, he really got into it. He has such a nice smile, and both performances were good. He's a pleasure to watch.

Jennifer Robinson - Never been a huge fan of her either, but she had some pretty good programs this year. First one was this Teeny Bopper one...wore a pink dress with a flower on it, I really enjoyed it and you could tell she was really having fun with it. Her 2nd number was to a slower song...she wore a really pretty white dress. She did a triple lutz and some harder triples in this one. She really is a beautiful skater and she did a great job.

Elvis Stojko - First number was to blues-type music and he started with a chair on the ice...later taking off his jacket thing to reveal a tight t-shirt. He mainly did triple toes and this break-dancing thing where he slides accross the ice on one hand.... 2nd number was to Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. He sang along to the words while he was skating, and wore an even tighter t-shirt this time. He basically did the same thing as in his first number except that this one had more speed and he showed off his muscles more. I wasn't too impressed, but apparently the crowd was as they gave him a standing O on his last number...

Shen&Zhao - I was really looking forward to seeing them....this being their first year with CSOI and all... They were spectacular!!! Their first program she was in this beautiful pink dress. They have improved so much artistically, and it was truly a pleasure watching them skate. Their first routine was skated to powerful music, and they showed off great lifts and breath-taking throws which I had the pleasure of seeing close up because I was sitting on the ice....those throws are so high! The expression on Shen's face when she lands is priceless!! Their passion for skating is so obvious. They got a standing O after their first number, which they looked very excited about. Their 2nd number, she was in a white dress (again, it was beautiful) and they skated to a slower song. Again, their speed and grace highlighted this program and they received another Standing O. They're just brilliant, hope they're on the tour again next year!

Sale/Pelletier - I got so choked up watching these two. They've been my idols for so, so long and everytime I see them live, I tear up. They're such beautiful skaters, and so in love. Jamie's smile lit up the rink, and David is so charming. Their first number was Elite Syncopations. It's crazy how easy they make this program look!! It is so technically difficult and they skated it with so much energy, flair and personality. This program had the handstand lift, which was really good. They have so many unique moves and they just keep getting better and better every year. Standing O after the first number. Their 2nd number was to the Blowers Daughter "I Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and they didn't take their eyes off eachother the entire time. They got another standing O for that. Jamie is so good with interacting with the audience, always winking and always wearing that gorgeous smile. You can just tell that they love what they're doing so much out there.

John/Kyoko - These two were out a couple of times about to start their number then Scott would appear on the screen and be like "It's not your turn yet!" It was pretty funny, but got kind of annoying cause I was really anxious to see them!! Finally, in the 2nd act, they came out. John in a faded blue long sleeved, loose button up blouse-thing and Kyoko in a navy dress..very pretty. They skated to Vertigo by U2 which I think was a very good choice for them. What is so attracting about these two is that you never know what they're going to do next, they're so exciting!! They have all these stunning lifts and stuff and they're both so talented. And John is so hot!!!!! Anyways, it was a great program, so full of energy, they really got the crowd going, especially the part where he throws her up and shes in the air in the split position and then he catches her and flips her under his legs. The whole audience gasped....they're just amazing.... she must have so much trust in him!!! Standing O for them....I was sad that they only did one number, they're so fun to watch.

Joannie Rochette - This girl has it and she's only going to keep improving!! There is no doubt in my mind, that she is going to be world champion someday. Anyways, for her first program, she skated to Celine Dion's Fly..except in french. It was a beautiful program and she skated it great. She had lots of triples in it, which she all landed perfectly. Her 2nd number was to Like A Prayer by Madonna (her exhibition program from this season). She is so musical and artistic and so talented. I just love her. She did a great job and got at least one standing O.

Kurt Browning - This guy is a complete sweetheart...and talented in a major way!!! For his first number, he skated to a song by The Doors. It was really upbeat and fun and the audience loved it. He is such a funny guy and such a charmer. Got a Standing O for that. 2nd number was his famous Brick House. This REALLY got the crowd going!!! This guy can dance as well as he can skate!!! He wore the tight black leather shiny pants for this and a silver-y top. In both his programs he did some double axels and some easy triples.The way this guy does footwork amazes me. He got a standing O for this too. Everyone just loves him, always have. In my opinion, he's the one who holds the show together. He's an amazing guy.

All in all, an incredibly amazing opening night. Tons of standing O's, all the skaters looked so happy and were all smiling. At one point on the screens, they did a little thing on some of the people in the skating world who had died (Rob McCall, Sergei Grinkov, etc...) Kurt did a little transition routine after this to a slow song, in memory of them. There was also a thing they showed on the screen of Jennifer Robinson and when she went to Africa to visit the kids there. There was a booth for this foundation that sponsors kids in Africa up in the concours of the Metro Center, and they were giving away a free autographed picture of all the cast if you sponsored a kid. This year, I really missed Alexei and Elena and Anton. But to see the fresh new faces of Shen and Zhao and Joannie was great. It was a superb show, one of my favorites and I've been going for the past 10 years. The group numbers were so hilarious and entertaining as usual. Amazing show, I know the rest of you will enjoy it when you see it in your own cities and sorry this is so long!!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Thanks for the post I saw the US version with Alexei and B & S, but I can't get to Canada to see this, so I like detailed reports.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the review! :clap: We loved the US SOI show, and glad to see that you really enjoyed the Canadian version. Wish we could attend the Canadian tour as well.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Many thanks for the review, ceg!

It sounds like none of the men made their way into the audience -- are we really safe with this group, or do we have to watch out for Stojko?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the review. S/Z programs sound great they are
my favorites.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I was at the show too, and S/Z's double twists were absolutely amazing live. She had such hang time. It was incredible.