Plusenko and Slutskaya won the SportStar Awards! | Golden Skate

Plusenko and Slutskaya won the SportStar Awards!

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
It was the show on Eurosport yesterday. All wintersports got his best male and best female athlets.
I LOVED the way they named winners: "Two athlets from Russia with love!"
Slutskaya and Plusenko. Plusenko missed the show, but Slutskaya was there. Cute,as always. She said big thanks to her family, her coach,to Russian federation and to all other people who supported her.

krenseby

Final Flight
Uhhmm.

What are the Sportstar awards? Are they for figure skating only or for sports in general? Who won last year?

I don't think there is just one single award. Rather, they (the IOC and Eurosport) honors several of the recent European Olympic athletes who best represent the spirit of the games. The first such awards were given in 2000 after the Sydney summer games.

This year skiers Martin Braxenthaler and Olena Iurkovska were honored in the category of paralympians.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=169182&src=0

http://www.paralympic.org/release/Main_Sections_Menu/News/Current_Affairs/2006_04_21_a.html

Here is a picture of the honorees and the IOC dignitaries. (Irina is in the front row, third from right. :love: )

http://www.olympic.org/upload/news/gallery/ARTP_1791_552_big.jpg

mememe

On the Ice
Also on the subject of Irina -- there is a short article on Associated Press that says Irina has signed (or agreed or whatever) to be a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association's "Go Red for Women" campaign. A few excerpts:

NEW YORK (AP) — Olympic bronze medalist Irina Slutskaya, who has battled a heart disease, will be a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association’s “Go Red For Women” campaign.
Slutskaya ... missed nearly all of the 2003-04 season with vasculitis, an inflammation of blood vessels that can cause major vascular organs to deteriorate. The Russian star takes pills daily for the problem, and needs to clear her medication each year with Olympic and skating officials.
“I want to show women that they can still do what they want, that their life is not finished even when they have these problems,” Slutskaya said Monday. “I still can tour with Champions on Ice like I am doing now, and train and compete.
“It is scary, but it can’t be the end. ..."
Slutskaya is the rare Russian who has become a spokesperson for an American organization. ...
“I’m so proud of this,” she said, “and I can do it on two continents.”
Slutskaya, a 12-year veteran, said she will decide in the fall whether to continue in competitive skating.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the excerpt. Now this does not sound like the "evil" Irina who
disses America every time she is interviewed. Good for her for being involved and agreeing to be a spokesperson for the American Heart Association.

R.D.

Record Breaker
still doesn't change my opinion of her. I really do think she shows two sides.

MM- the picture is not loading for me...

R.D.

Record Breaker
ok, I had to do some "adjusting" on my settings but in the end it worked. Thanks.

curious

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
still doesn't change my opinion of her. I really do think she shows two sides.

MM- the picture is not loading for me...

What person does not have two sides or more in this World? The fact that she has many sides does not change my opinion of her as one of the best skaters in the world :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
best SKATERS, yes. Not easy to argue against that point. But I'm talking personality here

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
I don't think there is just one single award. Rather, they (the IOC and Eurosport) honors several of the recent European Olympic athletes who best represent the spirit of the games. The first such awards were given in 2000 after the Sydney summer games.

Is there an analogous award for non-European Olympic athletes?