Irina to be Spokesperson for American Heart Association | Golden Skate

Irina to be Spokesperson for American Heart Association

R.D.

Record Breaker
This sounds familiar and may have been posted here before but somehow didn't come up in a search, so I assume it hasn't been posted here before. But this sounds very familiar. If not, you can delete it. Anyway-

From an AP report:

Olympic bronze medalist Irina Slutskaya, who has battled a heart disease, will be a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association’s “Go Red For Women” campaign.
Slutskaya, a bronze winner in February at the Turin Games, a silver medalist at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and a two-time world champion, missed nearly all of the 2003-04 season with vasculitis, an inflammation of blood vessels that can cause major vascular organs to deteriorate.
The Russian star takes pills daily for the problem, and needs to clear her medication each year with Olympic and skating officials.
“I want to show women that they can still do what they want, that their life is not finished even when they have these problems,” Slutskaya said Monday. “I still can tour with Champions on Ice like I am doing now, and train and compete.
“It is scary, but it can’t be the end. My life was normal and healthy, then suddenly one day I am sick. I was shocked, because I didn’t know anything about this disease and that’s so scary. But you can see that I have lived my life and done the things I want to do.”
Slutskaya is the rare Russian who has become a spokesperson for an American organization. Although she still lives in Moscow — where she helps care for her mother, who has kidney disease and needs dialysis — Slutskaya spends much of her time in the United States. She’ll be with Champions on Ice through mid-August, giving her ample time to campaign for the AHA.
“I’m so proud of this,” she said, “and I can do it on two continents.”
Slutskaya, a 12-year veteran, said she will decide in the fall whether to continue in competitive skating.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am glad to hear it.

Wonder if this will help with her "American relations?"

She always gets my heart going:love:
irena very smokin close .jpg

Curious about the last line....what do you think the deciding factors are on that?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, Irina's health will be one of the factors. Her mom's condition -- the amount of care she needs -- might be another.

skater GO

Rinkside
As a result, I said, and she would choose it. Furthermore,
I want you to be proud of this.:agree:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
IMO, Irina's health will be one of the factors. Her mom's condition -- the amount of care she needs -- might be another.

Do you think any of it has to do with "S" Hubby? What was in that article about "wanting to" have a baby? I get the impression Ira is independent, but I also get the feeling Surgei (I don't remember the spelling) as being a rather "trophy bride" type from his comments about life together and how he "....decided, I want one of those."

What about Money?

Granted the health is somewhat of a prevailing issue, yet the "roids" are working and the health appears to be stagnant. Mom worsening (God forbid) might only drive her harder.

Just some thoughts. ?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
seanibu said:
Do you think any of it has to do with "S" Hubby? What was in that article about "wanting to" have a baby? I get the impression Ira is independent, but I also get the feeling Surgei (I don't remember the spelling) as being a rather "trophy bride" type from his comments about life together and how he "....decided, I want one of those."
I think you are misreading it big time. Irina has wanted a kid for a long time. She and Sergei married when she wasn't a big superstar yet; in fact they got married in 1999, arguably the low point of her career; he stood by her through all the tough time, when she was off the team and did not know if she would ever skate competitively again. Also, he normally stays way out of the light entirely - hardly a behavior of someone who wants a trophy wife. And, considering that Irina wants a child as well, what is wrong with the husband saying, "honey, we're not getting any younger, we should really do it now"?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Is that how you spell his name? I wasn't sure at all.
There is plenty of time, people commonly wait until they're in there 30s to have a baby. But it may not be their intention...I really don't know JMO.
Behavior doesn't mean much in defense there, but I really have no Idea if that is the way he feels - or how the Q n A was translated to make it appear to be the case.
I also received the impression that Irina did not want to travel to "events" with anyone, she has always "seemed to me" as a independent person, yet entirely connected to her mom - almost like "metaphysically."
It was more in jest to to those who wish to find someone as wonderful, and give up hope because now she is taken, the "celebrity thing." :bow: IOW - pointless jealousy.
I am sure he has got to be a great guy, she could "have her choice" of men who would love the chance to give her a "great life." As far as ALL "celebrity types" go - she has got to be one of the most "stand up" and "stand out" women of the current "world eye." Ira is the best example of what "Heart" means.
Even if he didn't know then - which for 3 years before they were married - I am sure he had time to figure it out, She's ..... unable to be defined with words.....

Sorry I said anything about him in a negitive way - I shouldn't have even mentiond a skiier on the forum anyway.:eek:hwell:

Thanks for shattering my dreams of her coming running through my door!:boohoo: :cry:

Last edited: