USFSA vs. Weir? | Golden Skate

USFSA vs. Weir?

Actually, I am surprised that the news media care enough about figure skating even to comment on this.

That's good, I guess. The more publicity and controversy the better!

I agree with MM. It seems like there may be a concerted effort to get the public roused up to watch figure skating as they did back in 94 and 02.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I agree as well, under the heading of "there is no such thing as bad publicity", but how many more years do we have to deal with the "old-school" ultra-conservative attitudes of the USFSA?? The days of top skaters being prim and proper little rich kids from the country club set are long over, and you'd think the USFSA would realize that. But then again, IMO, the USFSA is only about one notch below the ISU in the "out of touch" category (or maybe even one notch above), so why am I really not surprised by this, assuming it's true?

Yes, but it's that "assuming it's true" thing that's the rub. So far all we have is some unsupported grumbings on an obscure weblog, which were then picked up by a couple of newpaper writers looking for something to fill a column.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If the USFSA is deliberately doing this as a publicity stunt, I doubt that any conservatism has anything to do with it. I know when I clicked on the Spokane website, the four pictures you saw first were those of the US skaters who did best at Worlds (they showed Evan instead of Johnny, but they also showed Kimmie instead of Sasha). It was only when you clicked on every link in the site, where you had pictures of Sasha and even of Michelle, that Johnny's absence was noticeable -- in other words, you had to go looking for it. The fact that someone actually did go looking for it indicates to me that this is a publicity stunt.

R.D.

Record Breaker
that's really odd. That's all I have to say.

There may or may not be a feud going on, but if there is, it's certainly getting out. I don't think skating is popular enough any more, though, for something like this to make headline news. This is much more subtle, not blatant like the 02 Olympics scandal. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a feud going on. I think it may have to do more with image than sexuality, though (not that they have that great an image right now, anyway).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
OMG! They actually suggest that there will be no viert voting at next year's Campbells's because viewers chose Weir as opposed to whoever ISU wanted? EXCUSE ME???!!! While the audience simply selected the most famous name, it was the judging panel that actually looked at the skating, and correctly chose Savoie. And... actually... I was there at Campbell's... and... well... I don't remember seeing Evan there at all! Participants were: Weir, Weis, Goebel, Savoie. That's it! Savoie was brought in because Evan couldn't make it!

Now, if I am a "fan" of any male skater today, I would have to say I were Weir's fan. I always really wish for him to skate his best, and it kills me when he doesn't. I would want nothing better than for (a) Weir to get the quad under control and (b) Weir to get more recognition for his amazing artistry. However, all this is just noise is 90% B.S. Perhaps 10% of it is real.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Look at THIS picture very carefully. :unsure: I think he's just clenching a fist, and somebody photoshopped the shadow of a finger on to his face. I believe the shadow on his neck and shirt is also shopwork. How come it gets lighter at the base of his neck?

WutheringHeight

Spectator
The shadow of his finger looks very fake.

Anyway, about Spokane, the brochure was made before Worlds, so they didn't know who would do well at Worlds when it was made and Evan was in the brochure, not Johnny. I think it's silly not to include a picture of the three time national champion.

As for those who looked for him on the site, his fans did. And they couldn't find him.

lisadotdash

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
I agree as well, under the heading of "there is no such thing as bad publicity", but how many more years do we have to deal with the "old-school" ultra-conservative attitudes of the USFSA?? The days of top skaters being prim and proper little rich kids from the country club set are long over, and you'd think the USFSA would realize that. But then again, IMO, the USFSA is only about one notch below the ISU in the "out of touch" category (or maybe even one notch above), so why am I really not surprised by this, assuming it's true?

Who! The media likes it much better when Daddy has to work 3 jobs, etc. Look at Michelle, Tonya and Nancy Kerrigan, ultrablue collar except Nancy pretty much "rose above her raisin'" to quote Dr. Phil. Todd Eldridge pretty much had the whole town chipping in for his expenses. Kurt Browning's dad was a tour guide of some sort, and Weir, he makes no bones about saying he was from very ordinary means. What they're trying to do I think is rouse Weir to have a rivalry with Lycenko perhaps. Trying to get Weir out of his head and into the real world for goodness sake. I remember when I was that age, it was like "all about me" and I had no notion of my place. These are still kids, really, in so far as the responsibility and "numbers" that they have to answer to. They have no idea.

bostonskater

Rinkside
Weir has NOTHING to do with this. It all comes from a crazed fan who wrote to Deadspin.com and talked to a gossip columnist. This current article and photo were both done by the owner of the "newspaper" in question, which seems to have a staff of two. Weir did not talk to him for the article - you'll notice that there are no quotes from him.

The mainstream media hasn't picked this story up because there are no facts, it's just fans spouting off and seeing conspiracies everywhere. And getting their facts wrong to boot.

The only fact is that Weir was left off of the 2007 Nationals web site and brochure, and now he's on the web site. End of story.

R.D.

Record Breaker
the question is, why was he off in the FIRST place? As a 3-time national champ, it strikes me as rather odd. And it seems that he was added as soon as word of a "conspiracy" got out. Not saying the conspiracy is true, but there could be some basis to it.

nattie

Spectator
i completely agree Red dog....it just simply disrespectful to the sport if u just cut of a 3 time national champ due to stupid personal reasons...

rob43

On the Ice
I think this entire thing borders on ridiculous. The four people rotating on the left are the top finishers from worlds (I/B, B/A, Kimmie and Evan) Everyone else shows up as thumbnails or offset on specific topic pages. They added Weir to a permanent slot on the left for at least a few days when the brohaha broke out. At one point Sasha wasn't up either. The fact that the main rotating images are so obvious and the others are simply used with background info should really make it clear this wasn't some concerted strategy.

Is it disrespectful to Kimmie that she's the only World Champ the US has had since 03 and she's not on the banner of the USFSA site- no its the reality that that spot goes to the Nat Champ regardless of GP, World or Oly outcomes.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
rob43 said:
Is it disrespectful to Kimmie that she's the only World Champ the US has had since 03 and she's not on the banner of the USFSA site- no its the reality that that spot goes to the Nat Champ regardless of GP, World or Oly outcomes.
I agree with that. It's just that the article is way too ridiculous...

The article mistakenly says that it was the Campbell's event where the audience voted, rather than the December Marshall's thing. The author then says that a decision has been made not to repeat that format at this years' Campbell's (because allowing the audience to vote for the peoples' favorite, Johnny, foiled the devious USFS plot to crown Evan, even though (as Ptichka reminds us), Evan wasn't even there. :rofl: )

Does anyone know for real whether these two shows are scheduled yet for next year, and what the formats will be?

OT -- Wouldn't it be cool to see Kimmie, Mao, Yu-na, Emily, Katy Taylor and Elena Gedevanishvili at Campbell's?

MM :)

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
MM, I've heard nothing at all about these events for the upcoming season. I think we may continue to see changes in the way these events are done.
As far as the Marshall's event from last December ... if they wanted the fans to vote, it should have been left just at that ... with no input from a judging panel. Or ... they should leave the fans out of it and just have the judges ... combining the two was awkward, IMO.

I think these events rely heavily on ratings for their products.

Is there enough interest to draw a respectable number of viewers to the their TV sets? as well as to the Arena?

Having Kwan not giving her all may turn off many casual fans.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Talk about sensationalist rubbish!! And if the author and editor are too stupid to let "Turino" though the net...what do you expect?

ok, ok i know its one of my pet peeves but for god's sake the Olympics was on for how long...Torino or Turin...come on how hard is it?

Ant