Stars on ice - Canadian Tour - 2006 | Golden Skate

Stars on ice - Canadian Tour - 2006

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh, Oh. I hope you are wrong. I am going to see the show (Canadian tour) next Sunday. I am looking forward to seeing Jeff Buttle. No Kurt? I thought he was with this tour. I sure hope I won't be saying the same things as you.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We loved the US tour, and have been going to see SOI since 1993. I wish we lived close enough to the Canadian border to see CSOI every year as well. In addition to seeing our favorite pros do their individual programs, we appreciate the opportunity to see them interact with each other in the ensemble pieces, all throughout the show.

Chania, keep in mind that the skaters in the US tour had a lot more time to rehearse the show (although even that amount of time in the fall was shorter than usual). The Canadian tour started only a few days after the US tour ended, and the new cast members (Jeff, Joannie, Elvis, Shen & Zhao) would need some time to adjust to the programs that the other cast members (who were continuing from the US tour) had been doing for the last several months. Scott Hamilton did start the tour (thank goodness!), so I can understand why he did the narration, especially this season for the US's 20th anniversary tour. You can check out a number of reviews of the US & Canadian tours on the SOI Bulletin Board. http://www.starsonice.com I also recommend a wonderful article (sort of a review with constructive criticism and an explanation of this year's theme from the US tour) from Tina, a Kurt fan:

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0506/012606.htm

Oh, here's a review from the Halifax show that was posted at Golden Skate:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185077#post185077

I do wish Kyoko & John got to do two individual programs in the show. As far as I'm concerned, every cast member should have that opportunity!

Ladskater, I know your CSOI show is coming up, so approach it with an open mind (I'm sure you will), and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
I saw the Canadidan stop in Halifax, and it was fantastic and not lifeless at all! Hopefully you'll be just as lucky Ladskater! Kurt was definitely there for ours, and Jeff was fantastic, even with a few stumbles.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
We saw the US show in March. It was the first time that I had gotten to go, so I went prepared to love it. I did, but it could have been better. The worst was the whole Scotty and video set up. I like Scotty's skating, but I hate his voice. It was loud and annoying. My daughters aren't the biggest skating fans and by the end of the show wanted to kick that darn Scotty puppet. The view of the videos wasn't great and didn't add to our enjoyment.

The skating was great. B&S were particularly wonderful. I couldn't get over how smooth they were. I am a bigger fan of theirs for having seen them live. My daughters really enjoyed "Chaplin." I, too, wish that we could have seen more of I&Z. The number that they did was great. I was a bit disappointed by Yagudin. I understand that his hip is bad. I was explaining that to my daughters in an effort to get the unpleasant looks off their faces during Sway. The part with him laying on the ice had them rolling their eyes. I am glad that I got to see Winter. Even with the toe loops, it was good.

We do hope to go back next year and spend less time whispering "Shut up Scott!"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SB - Scott doesn't normally narrate, but with it being a big milestone for the tour that's why he was featured...

I personally love anything that gives Scotty a nod lol and his voice -while not my favorite thing to listen to- isn't all that bothersome

sorry you had a bad time, Chania, but don't let it dampen your spirits... all tours have their seasons of mediocrity. SOI is so dang good that they have to try and top each season and it gets hard after 20 years lol

chania36

On the Ice
Hi

Thank you all for your responses, I am not about to quit going, do not worry, I know that some years are better then the others, I think that with that thing about Scott being in the Big Screan and it was so lowd, it was just annoying. I thingk that if I think back, you are right, they only had a few weeks to get prepared with new cast members, also, I saw the second stop of the tour, so sometimes it need times to get better, I am sure that those who will see at a later date will get a more practiced show... Thicking of it, it was not all that bad, it is maybe the people in the building that were not into it, they are sometime very hard to react to the skaters.. One thing I am sure, is that the skaters did their best, they all skated well. A couple of doubles here and there.

I think that the way Scott did his thing, in the Screan, and also it was so loud, maybe that is what got me distracted from the show.. thank you for giving me another perspective of the show...

I will be going next year.. for sure...

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I saw the show in Hamilton last night and thought it was really good. It was being taped for TV (as Gotta Skate often was when it was there instead of in Toronto). That means that at the end of the show all of the skaters who had "errors" in their programs have to come out and re-skate the section they botched. Last night there were no re-skates! Kurt said that it doesn't happen very often. Since earlier in the night they had asked everybody to hang around after the show for the re-taping (which now wasn't needed) Jeff came out and skated a third program. Wouldn't you know it, he had a stumble half way through! As he left the ice he pretended to pound on his forehead. Funny stuff!

I too would have liked to see I&Z skate a second program. The one they did was really great. They had a few big tricks in the spirit of Brasseur and Eisler. Shen and Zhao were also terrific. It was the first time I have ever seen them live and they seemed surprisingly graceful to me. They got 2 standing ovations! All in all I think it was my favourite Stars on Ice from the past 4 or so. The new blood definitely helped. Elvis always pumps up the crowd, and it was nice to see Jeff and Joannie. As a final note, although Todd Eldridge has been on the tour for years now, I thought he was really great skating to Bolero.