View Poll Results: Best women jumper of all time?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

    137 56.85%
  • Tonya Harding

    13 5.39%
  • Irina Slutskaya

    22 9.13%
  • Mao Asada

    24 9.96%
  • Surya Bonaly

    7 2.90%
  • Miki Ando

    6 2.49%
  • Petra Burka

    0 0%
  • Tara Lipinski

    9 3.73%
  • Denise Biellman

    4 1.66%
  • other

    19 7.88%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 95

Thread: Best women jumper of all time?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177

    Best women jumper of all time?

    Who do you consider the best women jumper of all time?

  2. #2
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,659
    Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less
    She was also very consistent landing a triple lutz-triple toe and two triple lutzes.
    Very few of the contenders today do a triple-triple that difficult as consistently as she did, and some dont even do two triple lutzes. She also did her second one at around the 3:30 mark I believe.

  4. #4
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    I voted for Midori, who BTW is I believe the only skater to be named after an alcoholic beverage.

    This is a GREAT poll Slutefan!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    I voted for Midori, who BTW is I believe the only skater to be named after an alcoholic beverage.

    This is a GREAT poll Slutefan!
    Thank you.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    506
    Well, I put down Midori too. She has ASTRONOMICAL jumps!!!

    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here's a link that shows her GREAT triple axel!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzAC...h=Midori%20Ito

  7. #7
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,984
    This is a good poll, Was surprised to see the overwhelming response to Ito. It took a while to decide for me, but that is who I wound up casting my vote for. It was nice to remember something good about Tonya, she was really good at that. Irina was a little better when she was younger IMO and the same with Miki, just have to take what is going on now into consideration - the whole career.
    I do have to give a shout to the best "lander" Fumie, also the best spinner IMO.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Midori Ito, hands down.

    Vash

  9. #9
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    I know there are those who feel she doesn't deserve to breath much less skate, I had to vote for Tonya Harding... just because someone is stupid, doesn't mean they don't deserve credit where its due... Tonya made a career out of being the best darn jumper ever... I still get pissed whenever I think about how she sabotaged her dreams & then to sabotage them when it wasn't even necessary... what a waste. :banging:

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    When Tonya landed her jumps cleanly I think they might have been the best, even over Ito's because of the wrapped freeleg Ito had on her jumps. Tonya was the most similar to Ito in height, distance, rotation, flow on landings, etc....and she had her legs pulled in tightly together and was absolutely straight in the air in her jumps. That is when she landed them though, she often was out of shape and would only land 2 triples in alot of her programs. After 1991 she in fact had only about 1 out of 3 programs where she did more than 2 or 3 triples.

  11. #11
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    When Tonya landed her jumps cleanly I think they might have been the best, even over Ito's because of the wrapped freeleg Ito had on her jumps. Tonya was the most similar to Ito in height, distance, rotation, flow on landings, etc....and she had her legs pulled in tightly together and was absolutely straight in the air in her jumps. That is when she landed them though, she often was out of shape and would only land 2 triples in alot of her programs. After 1991 she in fact had only about 1 out of 3 programs where she did more than 2 or 3 triples.
    I know... And that's the second thing that pisses me off about her... such a waste & in so many ways... I will never forget that first triple axel... what a sight...

    As for Ito... Other than the jump off the ice thing, I've never been a fan of her skating nor her jumps. Leg wraps are so ugly & speak of a person too lazy to correct bad technique... IMO. But I don't blame the skaters, I blame their coach.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Midori's leg wrap was not a major one, and it never bothered me, may be because everything else about her jump was so good. She had incredible height, and the best speed going into the jumps and on the landings (better than Tonya's, IMO). Tonya was also wonderfully athletic, but not as consistent on the difficult jumps & 3-3's as Midori.

    Talking of leg wrap, Yukari Nakano's used to distract me a lot but after I started enjoying the rest of her skating, it did not bother me.

    Vash

  13. #13
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    Talking of leg wrap, Yukari Nakano's used to distract me a lot but after I started enjoying the rest of her skating, it did not bother me.

    Vash
    ITA... while Yukari's wrap is distracting, I love watching her skate... she has sparkle... Outside of their jumps, did Midori and Tonya have other elements that stood out? I can't seem to remember...

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    As for Ito... Other than the jump off the ice thing, I've never been a fan of her skating nor her jumps. Leg wraps are so ugly & speak of a person too lazy to correct bad technique... IMO. But I don't blame the skaters, I blame their coach.
    Well Ito was coached by Machiko Yamada - who also coaches Mao Asada and she doesn't have a wrap so I don't really get your point about the coach thing.

    ITA with Vash - Midori's leg wrap thing is sooooo overblown. If you actually watch her programs, many of her jumps aren't wrapped such as the triple axel, sal and toe. The most noticeable would be the loop. But I think it just added to the expolsiveness in the air. It kind of slows down the rotation when you watch them and really accentuates the incredible height she got.

  15. #15
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate
    Well Ito was coached by Machiko Yamada - who also coaches Mao Asada and she doesn't have a wrap so I don't really get your point about the coach thing.
    It is a coach's job to act as a skater's eyes during practice sessions and coach on improvements in technique & style. If a skater is unable to correct sloppy/poor/lazy technique, then it is the coach's job to assist in correcting that mistake. That's my point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •