View Poll Results: Best women jumper of all time?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

137 56.85%
  • Tonya Harding

13 5.39%
  • Irina Slutskaya

22 9.13%
  • Mao Asada

24 9.96%
  • Surya Bonaly

7 2.90%
  • Miki Ando

6 2.49%
  • Petra Burka

0 0%
  • Tara Lipinski

9 3.73%
  • Denise Biellman

4 1.66%
  • other

19 7.88%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best women jumper of all time?

Banned

Best women jumper of all time?

Who do you consider the best women jumper of all time?

Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less
    She was also very consistent landing a triple lutz-triple toe and two triple lutzes.
    Very few of the contenders today do a triple-triple that difficult as consistently as she did, and some dont even do two triple lutzes. She also did her second one at around the 3:30 mark I believe.

I voted for Midori, who BTW is I believe the only skater to be named after an alcoholic beverage.

This is a GREAT poll Slutefan!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    I voted for Midori, who BTW is I believe the only skater to be named after an alcoholic beverage.

This is a GREAT poll Slutefan!
    Thank you.

Custom Title
    Well, I put down Midori too. She has ASTRONOMICAL jumps!!!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here's a link that shows her GREAT triple axel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzAC...h=Midori%20Ito

On the Ice
    Had to go with Midori Ito, first woman to land the triple axel and the triple triple combination in competition. And the height of her jumps are incredible.

Custom Title
    I voted for Midori Ito, but also Tonya Harding was a very good jumper. These two were good at all six triple jumps. Certainly not Tara Lipinski (look at the flutz and her small jumps). In her time Denise Biellmann was ahead of the other skaters in terms of jumps and spins. She did the first triple lutz (with a good outside edge). Irina Slutskaya is also a good jumper, but she hasn't flow at the end of her jumps. Irina was also the first woman to do a triple lutz-triple loop combo. Surya Bonaly has a good triple salchow, she also did one after a backflip.
    I would like to remember also Elaine Zayak and Debi Thomas for their triple toes, Manley, Sebestyen, Volchova for the triple lutz, Butyrskaya for the triple loop, Kostner for the triple flip.
    Last edited by gio; 04-30-2006 at 02:07 PM.

It's hard to compare skaters of different generations. I think some consideration has to go to Carol Heiss, the first lady to land a double Axel.

(Trivia question: Which two skaters won both U.S. novice and U.S. junior titles before winning their first world championship at age 16?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    It's hard to compare skaters of different generations. I think some consideration has to go to Carol Heiss, the first lady to land a double Axel.

(Trivia question: Which two skaters won both U.S. novice and U.S. junior titles before winning their first world championship at age 16?)
    Kimmie Meissner and Michelle Kwan?

Custom Title
    Kimmie is right, but Michelle isn't. I can't think of who it might be...

Custom Title
    Hang on! It's Carol Heiss!

Banned
    Actually maybe I should have included Heiss, Fratianne, or Zayak for how strong of jumpers they were in their own times. However I feel iffy on Zayak since her great jump difficulty is only based on doing a bunch of triple toes more times than her competition. Once that rule was out so was her jump advantage, and so was she as a major threat to win big titles.

I of course included Biellman and Burka based on how great of jumpers they were for their own times.

Custom Title
    Don't forget Sonja Henie, lol! She was the first to land an axel! (not by today's standards, though. Her "axel" looked like a sloppy waltz jump, to me anyway.)

I would also add Tina Noyes to your list, as well as Yoshie Onda.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evenstar
    Don't forget Sonja Henie, lol! She was the first to land an axel! (not by today's standards, though. Her "axel" looked like a sloppy waltz jump, to me anyway.)

I would also add Tina Noyes to your list, as well as Yoshie Onda.
    Yoshie Onda is a great jumper but I dont see anything she has done to make a "best ever" jumper list personaly. She was not the first woman to land any jump, she tried to become the 3rd, later the 5th women to land a triple axel and never managed to do that.

I know Tina Noyes was a great jumper in her time but she did not do any jump for the first time either did she? I know she tried triple toes but missed them each time she tried in competition.

You are probably right on Henie, and she was revolutionary in alot of ways.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast