• Denise Biellman

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • other

Votes: 19 7.9%

• Total voters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Tonichelle said:
Kristi Yamaguchi... I don't cringe when she goes into a jump, I know she'll land it... they may not be as huge as some of the others, but they're beautiful none the less

She was also very consistent landing a triple lutz-triple toe and two triple lutzes.
Very few of the contenders today do a triple-triple that difficult as consistently as she did, and some dont even do two triple lutzes. She also did her second one at around the 3:30 mark I believe.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I voted for Midori, who BTW is I believe the only skater to be named after an alcoholic beverage.:p

This is a GREAT poll Slutefan!

M

mars

Had to go with Midori Ito, first woman to land the triple axel and the triple triple combination in competition. And the height of her jumps are incredible.:rock:

gio

Medalist
I voted for Midori Ito, but also Tonya Harding was a very good jumper. These two were good at all six triple jumps. Certainly not Tara Lipinski (look at the flutz and her small jumps). In her time Denise Biellmann was ahead of the other skaters in terms of jumps and spins. She did the first triple lutz (with a good outside edge). Irina Slutskaya is also a good jumper, but she hasn't flow at the end of her jumps. Irina was also the first woman to do a triple lutz-triple loop combo. Surya Bonaly has a good triple salchow, she also did one after a backflip.:rock:
I would like to remember also Elaine Zayak and Debi Thomas for their triple toes, Manley, Sebestyen, Volchova for the triple lutz, Butyrskaya for the triple loop, Kostner for the triple flip.

Last edited:
It's hard to compare skaters of different generations. I think some consideration has to go to Carol Heiss, the first lady to land a double Axel.

(Trivia question: Which two skaters won both U.S. novice and U.S. junior titles before winning their first world championship at age 16?)

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:
It's hard to compare skaters of different generations. I think some consideration has to go to Carol Heiss, the first lady to land a double Axel.

(Trivia question: Which two skaters won both U.S. novice and U.S. junior titles before winning their first world championship at age 16?)

Kimmie Meissner and Michelle Kwan?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Actually maybe I should have included Heiss, Fratianne, or Zayak for how strong of jumpers they were in their own times. However I feel iffy on Zayak since her great jump difficulty is only based on doing a bunch of triple toes more times than her competition. Once that rule was out so was her jump advantage, and so was she as a major threat to win big titles.

I of course included Biellman and Burka based on how great of jumpers they were for their own times.

evenstar

Final Flight
Don't forget Sonja Henie, lol! She was the first to land an axel! (not by today's standards, though. Her "axel" looked like a sloppy waltz jump, to me anyway.)

I would also add Tina Noyes to your list, as well as Yoshie Onda.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
evenstar said:
Don't forget Sonja Henie, lol! She was the first to land an axel! (not by today's standards, though. Her "axel" looked like a sloppy waltz jump, to me anyway.)

I would also add Tina Noyes to your list, as well as Yoshie Onda.

Yoshie Onda is a great jumper but I dont see anything she has done to make a "best ever" jumper list personaly. She was not the first woman to land any jump, she tried to become the 3rd, later the 5th women to land a triple axel and never managed to do that.

I know Tina Noyes was a great jumper in her time but she did not do any jump for the first time either did she? I know she tried triple toes but missed them each time she tried in competition.

You are probably right on Henie, and she was revolutionary in alot of ways.

evenstar

Final Flight
Well, perhaps Noyes nor Onda should be on the list. But then again, using that sort of theory, Bonaly and Harding shouldn't be on the list. Harding perhaps, but definitely not Bonaly. I still think Midori is the best!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
evenstar said:
Well, perhaps Noyes nor Onda should be on the list. But then again, using that sort of theory, Bonaly and Harding shouldn't be on the list. Harding perhaps, but definitely not Bonaly. I still think Midori is the best!

Bonaly had the first really good attempts at the quad, she did not have one ratified, but she had a couple just with a quarter turn cheat, on one foot, and did them a dozen years before Ando did the first. I give her credit for that even though she did not have the first ratified quad.

evenstar

Final Flight
There are other lady skaters who have done quads, including Joannie Rochette, Nancy Kerrigan, and Mao Asada. None have been ratified, because none were in competition. Since Bonaly's quads attempted in competition were all under rotated, Ando is given the nod. Technically, Bonaly has never done a quad, at least according to the ISU, or whoever ratifies "firsts". She definitely did have good jumps though. Even if they were ultra-telegraphed!

Tinika

Rinkside
Midori's triple axel in her 'Rose of Pain' program at the 1992 (I believe) World Professional Championships was a thing of complete beauty.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is a good poll, Was surprised to see the overwhelming response to Ito. It took a while to decide for me, but that is who I wound up casting my vote for. It was nice to remember something good about Tonya, she was really good at that. Irina was a little better when she was younger IMO and the same with Miki, just have to take what is going on now into consideration - the whole career.
I do have to give a shout to the best "lander" Fumie, also the best spinner IMO.