View Poll Results: Best women jumper of all time?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

137 56.85%
  • Tonya Harding

13 5.39%
  • Irina Slutskaya

22 9.13%
  • Mao Asada

24 9.96%
  • Surya Bonaly

7 2.90%
  • Miki Ando

6 2.49%
  • Petra Burka

0 0%
  • Tara Lipinski

9 3.73%
  • Denise Biellman

4 1.66%
  • other

19 7.88%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best women jumper of all time?

Custom Title
    Well, perhaps Noyes nor Onda should be on the list. But then again, using that sort of theory, Bonaly and Harding shouldn't be on the list. Harding perhaps, but definitely not Bonaly. I still think Midori is the best!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evenstar
    Well, perhaps Noyes nor Onda should be on the list. But then again, using that sort of theory, Bonaly and Harding shouldn't be on the list. Harding perhaps, but definitely not Bonaly. I still think Midori is the best!
    Bonaly had the first really good attempts at the quad, she did not have one ratified, but she had a couple just with a quarter turn cheat, on one foot, and did them a dozen years before Ando did the first. I give her credit for that even though she did not have the first ratified quad.

Custom Title
    There are other lady skaters who have done quads, including Joannie Rochette, Nancy Kerrigan, and Mao Asada. None have been ratified, because none were in competition. Since Bonaly's quads attempted in competition were all under rotated, Ando is given the nod. Technically, Bonaly has never done a quad, at least according to the ISU, or whoever ratifies "firsts". She definitely did have good jumps though. Even if they were ultra-telegraphed!

Tripping on the Podium
    Midori's triple axel in her 'Rose of Pain' program at the 1992 (I believe) World Professional Championships was a thing of complete beauty.

This is a good poll, Was surprised to see the overwhelming response to Ito. It took a while to decide for me, but that is who I wound up casting my vote for. It was nice to remember something good about Tonya, she was really good at that. Irina was a little better when she was younger IMO and the same with Miki, just have to take what is going on now into consideration - the whole career.
    I do have to give a shout to the best "lander" Fumie, also the best spinner IMO.

Custom Title
    Midori Ito, hands down.

Vash

Custom Title
    If this is a poll to name the skater who accomplished specific milestones in jumping, then certainly Ito and Harding belong at or near the top. However, Harding did a successful triple axle only once - and Ito never did 7 SUCCESSFUL triples in one program, nor did she ever do two 3-3s in one program.

If you do just an actual COUNT, I believe you will find that Kimmie Meissner has successfully landed more triple jumps AND more triple-triple combinations over the past 2 seasons than any previous skater EVER did over a two-season period.

Even Peggy Fleming has said that Kimmie's triple axle is the most awesome and beautiful she has ever seen. And you KNOW that she saw both Harding and Ito's triple axle.

When all is said and done, the greatest jumper will be the MOST CONSISTENT jumper. If Kimmie does just TWO MORE successful triple axles and keeps doing triple-triples on a regular basis, she will eventually be considered the greatest jumper ever.

Custom Title
    Oh, and another thing - Tara Lipinski should not be dismissed for doing "small" jumps - she was a small girl and her jumps were just as difficult for her as the bigger jumps were for others.

A triple is a triple. A triple-triple is a triple-triple. Nit-picking as to size and height of jumps is not allowed in polls - because I SAY it's not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s
    However, Harding did a successful triple axle only once
    No, I remember that she did it at least four times, all in 1991. At Worlds, at Skate America (both in the SP and LP) and at Nationals.

Does Kimmie still have the triple Axel in her repertoire? I think it has been more than a year since she has landed one.

If it's consistencey over a long career that counts most, I think Michelle has done 11 triple-triples and also 11 seven triple programs in major competitions. I don't know how this stacks up against others on the all-time list (?)

Custom Title
    I guess my question was: What constitutes a great jumper? If "great" jumpers are only the ones who are first to do a jump, then I think Harding and Bonaly should be taken off the list.

Was Sonia Henie the first to do a two-jump sequence? (Two Axels in a row.)

Does Surya get credit for doing the first backflip (one foot landing)/triple Salchow combo?

Who will be the next to do a quad, following Miki Ando?

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    I said Ando, because of the quad.

Rinkside
    Sudbury Ontario....same town as Jeff Buttle oh boo yeah grandma.....<3
    i voted for mao but i think Joannie should have been on there cause shes got great jumps too

Custom Title
    Mathman: I'm not sure about Henie, but I do know Surya did not get credit for her backflip-triple salchow, because she never did it in competition. Rather unfair since she's probably the only person in the world who can do it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast