View Poll Results: Best women jumper of all time?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

137 56.85%
  • Tonya Harding

13 5.39%
  • Irina Slutskaya

22 9.13%
  • Mao Asada

24 9.96%
  • Surya Bonaly

7 2.90%
  • Miki Ando

6 2.49%
  • Petra Burka

0 0%
  • Tara Lipinski

9 3.73%
  • Denise Biellman

4 1.66%
  • other

19 7.88%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best women jumper of all time?

Custom Title
    Really, since when was a leg wrap an error on a jump? The main thing about jumps are the take off, the rotations and the landing. Usually skaters have to be very tight in the air in order to make the rotations; but if a skater can do the same rotations in a "relaxed" , more open position, it probably would make the jump more impressive than be regarded as an error. In all the years I've watched Midori, I don't recall a commentator saying anything about Midori's wrapped leg.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Really, since when was a leg wrap an error on a jump? The main thing about jumps are the take off, the rotations and the landing. Usually skaters have to be very tight in the air in order to make the rotations; but if a skater can do the same rotations in a "relaxed" , more open position, it probably would make the jump more impressive than be regarded as an error. In all the years I've watched Midori, I don't recall a commentator saying anything about Midori's wrapped leg.
    IIRC, in one of the 1988 competitions (could be the Olympics) the commentator Peggy?) said that she (Midori) has a slight leg wrap on her jumps. It is not considered good technique but it works for her. At the same time both Peggy and Dick were praising Midori's jumping ability to the sky, so I don't think they saw the leg wrap as a major issue. Katarina Witt also commented on the leg wrap as being a not so good technique, but she did not make a big deal of it (she was not a commentator).

Vash

Custom Title
    I am surprised that only 57% of the voters named Midori as the best jumper among ladies. I can understand why Irina would get high marks- she has landed more difficult combinations- but she does not have the kind of speed on the landings as Midori did. I would blame Tonya's low percentage on her inconsistency, and her reputation. IMO Mao and other young skaters are not in the same league (on jumps) because they are lacking in the height, power, etc. department. Midori and Tonya never underroated their triple jumps. The young skaters of today do underrotate at least some jumps sometimes. Midori and Tonya made these jumps look way too easy.

Vash

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I voted for Tanya. She really was a good jumper.

Dee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    I would blame Tonya's low percentage on her inconsistency, and her reputation.
    There is nothing she could do that Midori Ito couldn't do better.

Midori should have 100% of the votes here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium
    There is nothing she could do that Midori Ito couldn't do better.

Midori should have 100% of the votes here.
    Some posters may not be that familiar with Midori ( they may have voted for younger skaters).

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    Some posters may not be that familiar with Midori ( they may have voted for younger skaters).
    That goes beyond polls. Young posters have no idea how much the earlier skaters contributed to figure skating and how well they peformed for their era of skating. Even when they see skaters from the 50s and 60s in film clips they compare them to Mao and Yu na. That's the way the mind works.

Joe

Banned
    Grrr, I cant believe Mao has almost caught Irina, I can see Tonya possably catching up although I was thrilled when Irina was out in front of her, but Mao grrrrr. I know Mao does a triple axel and the dumb current rules give her more jump points based on that alone, but Irina's jumps are so much better in height, power, rotational shape, straightness, tightness of the body, trajectory, only landings are they close.

Custom Title
    Mao can't even do a DOUBLE toe! OR a salchow!!! I'm befuddled. I don't think Irina has great jumps, either. They definitely have GREAT hight, but the landings tend to be sloppy. I my Midori!

Rinkside

Thumbs up

Slutskaya

Custom Title

Best woman jumper of all time?

Midori, she was also the most powerful jumper I have seen.

dimaond

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Midori Ito wins this poll hands down. Kurt Browning used to say "Midori could compete with the men." When it comes to jumping Midori was in a class of her own. She can join the ranks of the skaters who left their mark on figure skating and raised the bar. Just like Trixi Schuba - the best female figure skater of all time, Midori is definitely the best female jumper.

I don't understand how anyone can not vote for Ito here.

In terms of number of jumps completed, the quality of the jumps and in being the first to land certain jumps she was just off the charts. No one was in her class as a jumper when she was competing (the closest was Yamaguchi but as consistent as she was with toe jumps her edge jumps were kind of iffy). Arguably no one has been since.

And even apart form the jumps she was one of my all time favorites. I loved the clean power and joy she brought to her best programs.

On the Ice
    Midori Ito definitely. Even Mao's 3A fades in front of Midori's.

On the Ice
    Unfortunately, I have never seen Ito skate "live", however, watching her on the TV (or even now when I replay her performances on my PC) when she was "on", you can tell she was a totally exciting performer.

I can only imagine the energy in the audience during her truly memorable performances like 88O, 89W or 90W LPs. My fave performance of Ito's is still 88O LP - my friends and I collectively swooned when she landed her 3T-3T. It really was monumental performance - first 3Lz, first (?) 3F, first 3x3 and first 7 triple program seen at the Olympics - all in one programme. She was foot perfect and really, should have had straight 6.0s for Technical Components on this occasion. Other than Liz Manley's great free, I felt the rest of the ladies' competition was an anti-climax after Midori as, personally, I was not excited by the "Battle of the Carmens" and knew none of the last flight would bring that level of technical content to the competition.

As you can tell, I really liked Ito...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast