Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Good recipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    Sean, just wondering why you do this??

Dee
    Moist and tender adding some flavor to the breast. Like I say, a pain (not that much) but well worth it. When I first started in "cooking" I was serving for a Wedding and the bird was just "ooozing" with juices, the party was moaning in delight the first bites and some were saying they always go for the dark meat because of the moist and more flavorful meat comes from there. But they had a bite of someone else's.....you get the point. Anyway that is where I got it from and why I always do it. More then you asked but thought that might help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    most of my favorite recipies involve moose meat
    May have heard of this, but since you didn't share I went looking. It seems similar to a dear pot pie my Sister in-law makes with the Venison my Brother gets. He also has the best Elk chili recipe, but alas will never share.

Also sounds like...well that is just a strange name in light of the ones you may see up there on the paths.

Moose Pie
    1 1/2 lb moose steak, cubed
    1/3 - 1/2 c. flour
    1 md onion, chopped
    1 Clove minced garlic
    3 tb oil
    2 c water
    2 tb worcestershire sauce
    1 ts marjoram
    1 ts thyme
    1 ts celery seed
    1 ts salt
    1/2 ts pepper
    Bay leaf
    Diced potatoes and carrots
    Frozen peas or green beans
    Pie crust
    Shake cubed steak in plastic bag with flour, a few cubes at a time. Brown moose and onions and garlic in heated oil, until Moose is brown. Add water, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes and carrots, cook approximately 30 to 45 minutes longer. Add peas. Pour into pie pan. Cover with pie crust, flute edge, cut slits in top. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is nicely browned.

found at http://www.bowhunts.com/recipe_moose.html

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    Moist and tender adding some flavor to the breast. .
    I wondered if it had to do with keeping the breast moist. A friend of mine is a chef and he puts 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water in the roaster with a tight lid and cooks for the recommended time and about 1/2 to 45 minutes takes the lid off to brown. I have never tasted such moist meat. It's wonderful!!!.

Dee

Also found, and it was awesome - but of course!

Creamy Tomato Le Buzz - my first soup du jour

8 tbs unsalted butter
    8 Celery ribs, diced fine
    2 Onions diced fine
    1/4 c basil dried
    1/4 c Fresh Parsley sprigs minced
    1/8 c pulled thyme
    1/8 c dried oregano
    1 ounce Tabasco
    2 ts Black pepper - fine
    1/4 c Lemon zest
    2 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice

1 Gallon diced Tomatoes

4 ts sea salt
    4 c Heavy Whipping Cream
    5 Basil leaves diced - for garnish

Melt Butter in gallon pot, add celery onion, lemon, herbs, Tabasco, and pepper (omit only the fresh basil) . Do not add salt to the mixture, keeping the flavors separate at this point is desired. Simmer for 20 minutes - until ingredients are completely soft. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes - until tomatoes have released all their liquid. Strain entirely - do not press but ligthly toss / filip to strain completely. Whip and salt heavy whipping cream. Return to pot, gently stir in Whipping cream Reheat, once temp is just reached - hot / slight bubbling. Serve immediately with fresh basil in small pile on top of each bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707
    I wondered if it had to do with keeping the breast moist. A friend of mine is a chef and he puts 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water in the roaster with a tight lid and cooks for the recommended time and about 1/2 to 45 minutes takes the lid off to brown. I have never tasted such moist meat. It's wonderful!!!.

Dee
    Almost as good, that is what I had always done as well, but the realization that steam does not make as tender or flavorful of meat as say a crock pot...well you get the point i am sure anyway. Also - mentioning the browning - that will also assist you in getting a caramelized golden brown with skin they will fight over - the flip tech.

Just curious, I have not heard of any recipes without using water / base in the roaster (my Mother used to just cover with foil - dry bird anyone), and also remember some "plastic bag" you could put the whole bird in - but that received the same results as steaming it, more moist with out a flavor. have you or someone you know made it without the base in the roaster before?
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-09-2006 at 01:52 PM.

Tonichelle post one of your moose recipes. Could you sub beef in its place?
    Here's my Cowboy Stew

1LB ground beef (browned)
    1 16oz can Minestrone Soup
    1 can Homney or Whole Kernel Corn
    1 can Kidney Beans or Chili Beans
    1 can Diced Green Chilies & Tomatoes
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Don't drain homney or beans this will make your broth / juice
    I cook mine in the crock pot so it stays hot all day.
    Last edited by Jhar55; 05-10-2006 at 07:52 AM.

I never cook mine with water but baste with stock/broth keeping the turkey or chicken on a rack so it roasts. I also flip . Also, I brine which assures moist breast meat. I love Alton Brown on Food TV also, "Cook's Illustrated" magazine for the definitive way to cook almost anything. I have never been disappointed by either.

Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    I never cook mine with water but baste with stock/broth keeping the turkey or chicken on a rack so it roasts. I also flip . Also, I brine which assures moist breast meat. I love Alton Brown on Food TV also, "Cook's Illustrated" magazine for the definitive way to cook almost anything. I have never been disappointed by either.
    Thank you for not openly making me feel like a snumk by using the correct spelling / pronunceations - you are the coolest in my book now I need to pay more attention, so feel free if you like (don't know if you notice how I always write you instead of your?), to many Asian friends. j/k I'm just careless.
    It also that Mid-west (try and pass the blame) stupid thing with pronunciation, "stold inst. of stole, carmel instead of caramel, ovious instead of obvious, cewpon instead of coupon." Bugged the crap out of me when I was learning in elementary - "say it right and spell it right" where's Ben Franklin when a kid needed him!!! Because of that and the simple fact people understand anyway, it just doesn't matter to me. I have also noticed the Japanese read what I am saying much better than the "spell bugs."

Anyway, thanks and I will get the "Asian Potato Salad made and "Documented" for you soon. Even if you don't like "cutsy" names.
    Shawneeboo
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-10-2006 at 04:38 PM.

I hope to find time to give some of my recipes before too long. I have a good one for pralines too. I made the serendipity cake yesterday and am taking it to our last choir practice of the season and we will party.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I have a good one for pralines too.
    pralines

Skater Girl
    I make some darn good chocolate chip cookies! My dad says they're the best cookies he's ever had, LOL. Should I share the recipe? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie
    I make some darn good chocolate chip cookies! My dad says they're the best cookies he's ever had, LOL. Should I share the recipe? :D
    I hope you do, and from the sound of it maybe you could improve Laura Bush's that were the start of this thread.

I've always used the chocolate chip recipe from the Nestle's bag. I have an oatmeal recipe called Buffalo chips. Since I have 2 daughters and a granddaughter that don't like chocolate, usually put in the butterscotch or whatever they are chips. Sure hope I can find the time to put some recipes in here soon.

Days like this

:sheesh:

Another reason I don't have time.
    Today, I went to go to the beauty shop and my car battery was dead. My neighbor lady took me. Called AAA to come and he said my battery was gone. It had acid leaking out and was corroded. So tomorrow need to find someone to come and put in a new battery. The garage had already told me that I need to be thinking about new tires. I am so stupid about things like that. Guess I'll just laugh. Tired of crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    ..... have 2 daughters and a granddaughter that don't like chocolate, usually put in the butterscotch or whatever they are chips. Sure hope I can find the time to put some recipes in here soon.
    I am not a fan either, It has to be with something and not over powering or I just don't like it. The first recipe I put down, I replaced the chunks with chips and cut it in Half.

Sorry to hear about your car, if that wasn't such a big trip, not to mention the ridiculous gas prices, I would help you out. Recently left my job, putting my time money and effort into helping my ailing Mom and poorly invested Dad, and with all that is going on I could use the break to help someone out with things I am inclined at doing. I hope it gets better REALLY SOON!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast