Good recipes? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Good recipes?

Jhar55

Medalist
Tonichelle post one of your moose recipes. Could you sub beef in its place?
Here's my Cowboy Stew

1LB ground beef (browned)
1 16oz can Minestrone Soup
1 can Homney or Whole Kernel Corn
1 can Kidney Beans or Chili Beans
1 can Diced Green Chilies & Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste
Don't drain homney or beans this will make your broth / juice
I cook mine in the crock pot so it stays hot all day.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I never cook mine with water but baste with stock/broth keeping the turkey or chicken on a rack so it roasts. I also flip:agree: . :agree: Also, I brine which assures moist breast meat. I love Alton Brown on Food TV also, "Cook's Illustrated" magazine for the definitive way to cook almost anything. I have never been disappointed by either.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I never cook mine with water but baste with stock/broth keeping the turkey or chicken on a rack so it roasts. I also flip:agree: . :agree: Also, I brine which assures moist breast meat. I love Alton Brown on Food TV also, "Cook's Illustrated" magazine for the definitive way to cook almost anything. I have never been disappointed by either.

Thank you for not openly making me feel like a snumk by using the correct spelling / pronunceations - you are the coolest in my book now:love: :love: :love: I need to pay more attention, so feel free if you like (don't know if you notice how I always write you instead of your?), to many Asian friends. j/k I'm just careless.
It also that Mid-west (try and pass the blame) stupid thing with pronunciation, "stold inst. of stole, carmel instead of caramel, ovious instead of obvious, cewpon instead of coupon." Bugged the crap out of me when I was learning in elementary - "say it right and spell it right" where's Ben Franklin when a kid needed him!!! Because of that and the simple fact people understand anyway, it just doesn't matter to me. I have also noticed the Japanese read what I am saying much better than the "spell bugs."

Anyway, thanks and I will get the "Asian Potato Salad made and "Documented" for you soon. Even if you don't like "cutsy" names.
Shawneeboo;)

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I hope to find time to give some of my recipes before too long. I have a good one for pralines too. I made the serendipity cake yesterday and am taking it to our last choir practice of the season and we will party.

Lanie

On the Ice
I make some darn good chocolate chip cookies! My dad says they're the best cookies he's ever had, LOL. Should I share the recipe? :D

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Lanie said:
I make some darn good chocolate chip cookies! My dad says they're the best cookies he's ever had, LOL. Should I share the recipe? :D

I hope you do, and from the sound of it maybe you could improve Laura Bush's that were the start of this thread.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've always used the chocolate chip recipe from the Nestle's bag. I have an oatmeal recipe called Buffalo chips. Since I have 2 daughters and a granddaughter that don't like chocolate, usually put in the butterscotch or whatever they are chips. Sure hope I can find the time to put some recipes in here soon.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Days like this

:scowl: :sheesh: :disagree: :eek:hwell:

Another reason I don't have time.
Today, I went to go to the beauty shop and my car battery was dead. My neighbor lady took me. Called AAA to come and he said my battery was gone. It had acid leaking out and was corroded. So tomorrow need to find someone to come and put in a new battery. The garage had already told me that I need to be thinking about new tires. I am so stupid about things like that. Guess I'll just laugh. Tired of crying. :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
..... have 2 daughters and a granddaughter that don't like chocolate, usually put in the butterscotch or whatever they are chips. Sure hope I can find the time to put some recipes in here soon.

I am not a fan either, It has to be with something and not over powering or I just don't like it. The first recipe I put down, I replaced the chunks with chips and cut it in Half.

Sorry to hear about your car, if that wasn't such a big trip, not to mention the ridiculous gas prices, I would help you out. Recently left my job, putting my time money and effort into helping my ailing Mom and poorly invested Dad, and with all that is going on I could use the break to help someone out with things I am inclined at doing. I hope it gets better REALLY SOON!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Everyone loved the cake. Only a few pieces left. Good thing. :laugh:
Can't remember if I mentioned my recipe for strawberry pie. No, no jello stuff.
Man, I didn't realize how off-topic I was getting! The local filling station doesn't have a phone? I looked and looked. Anyway the guy that came yesterday brought a battery, etc. and now I have a new battery. $96.00
I sure need to get going.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Pralines

Here goes.

Pecan Pralines

2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
3 cup broken pecans
1 tsp vanilla (I added this myself as I love vanilla. )
I use mexican vanilla. If your lucky enough to get any. I would think a lot of larger cities probably have some mexican grocery stores that would carry it.
I won't even buy that imitation stuff.

Combine sugars and milks with butter and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring slowly to a full rolling boil over medium heat. Add the nuts and continue boiling until candy reaches the soft ball stage, 234 F. on the candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir only enough to give a creamy look. Spoon out on wax paper or a buttered baking sheet.
The tricky part is the time of stirring,etc. as it sugars really fast. You just have to try and learn. Eventually you can figure it out but it will still not work right every time.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

We'll leave the secret of the hard crack with us!

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm not sure how you mean that. I've been making it for 30 years and had no problem. Hard crack is for peanut brittle. You do hard crack on this and it will be a burnt mess. What do you think is missing?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
ps If you use wax paper, put newspapers or something under it or you will have wax on your table, etc. Guess how I know. :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I'm not sure how you mean that. I've been making it for 30 years and had no problem. Hard crack is for peanut brittle. You do hard crack on this and it will be a burnt mess. What do you think is missing?

I thought that was 1 or 2 degrees shy of the temp for getting the hard crack? Guess I am wrong - no surprise, not to experienced with candies.

I hope I didn't sound like I was being anyway snippy? I just thought that was an extremely specific temp.

I am not sure what I said to make you think anything was missing or that I was second guessing in any way. It sounds like a candy that I get when I go to Estes Park, the have the best shops there. I am sure this recipe would fit right in, and maybe surpass.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
ps If you use wax paper, put newspapers or something under it or you will have wax on your table, etc. Guess how I know. :rofl:

I did that with Cabbage Burgers the first time I made them - cool the mix before you start wrapping DUH SEAN (I am getting concerned with how often I say that to myself lately). BTW - the second time I used sour cream and it was awesome!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hudmidity effects candymaking. I use a thermometer and back it up with the cold water test. There are two different kinds of pralines. The soft pecan "New Orleans Pralines" and a hard praline that is cooked to the hard crack stage like peanut brittle. In fact it is like an almond or hazlenut brittle....no milk or cream so it can take the igher temperature without burning. Hard praline is usually crushed and used in pastry creams, fostings, or fillings.

Here's a chart from About.com about the different temperatures and stages in candy making.

Temperatures for Cooking Confectioneries
Some cooks prefer to use a candy thermometer and some prefer to use the old-fashioned cold water way to test the doneness of candy. Below there are directions for both.
Thread Stage - begins at 230 degrees F. - Makes a long thread when dropped in cold water.

Soft Ball - 234 degrees F. - Forms a soft ball that doesn't hold its shape. Cream candies, fudge, fondants are done at the soft ball stage.

Firm Ball - 246 degrees F. - This ball will only flatten with pressure. Divinity and Caramels.

Hard Ball - 250 degrees F. - This ball will hold its shape when pressed. Taffy.

Soft Crack - 270 degrees F. - Separates into bendable threads. Toffee and Butterscotch.

Hard Crack - 300 degrees F. - Becomes brittle. Peanut Brittle.

Caramelize - 310 degrees F - Sugar turns dark