Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Good recipes?

I am renaming you today. How about Sweet Thing?

Thanks, Grgranny, you seem like a sweetie too.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-11-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Everyone loved the cake. Only a few pieces left. Good thing.
    Can't remember if I mentioned my recipe for strawberry pie. No, no jello stuff.
    Man, I didn't realize how off-topic I was getting! The local filling station doesn't have a phone? I looked and looked. Anyway the guy that came yesterday brought a battery, etc. and now I have a new battery. $96.00
    I sure need to get going.

Pralines

Here goes.

Pecan Pralines

2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup condensed milk
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 cup broken pecans
    1 tsp vanilla (I added this myself as I love vanilla. )
    I use mexican vanilla. If your lucky enough to get any. I would think a lot of larger cities probably have some mexican grocery stores that would carry it.
    I won't even buy that imitation stuff.

Combine sugars and milks with butter and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring slowly to a full rolling boil over medium heat. Add the nuts and continue boiling until candy reaches the soft ball stage, 234 F. on the candy thermometer. Remove from heat and stir only enough to give a creamy look. Spoon out on wax paper or a buttered baking sheet.
    The tricky part is the time of stirring,etc. as it sugars really fast. You just have to try and learn. Eventually you can figure it out but it will still not work right every time.

234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

[SIZE="2"]We'll leave the secret of the hard crack with us![/SIZE]
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-12-2006 at 01:15 AM.

I'm not sure how you mean that. I've been making it for 30 years and had no problem. Hard crack is for peanut brittle. You do hard crack on this and it will be a burnt mess. What do you think is missing?

ps If you use wax paper, put newspapers or something under it or you will have wax on your table, etc. Guess how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I'm not sure how you mean that. I've been making it for 30 years and had no problem. Hard crack is for peanut brittle. You do hard crack on this and it will be a burnt mess. What do you think is missing?

I thought that was 1 or 2 degrees shy of the temp for getting the hard crack? Guess I am wrong - no surprise, not to experienced with candies.

I hope I didn't sound like I was being anyway snippy? I just thought that was an extremely specific temp.

I am not sure what I said to make you think anything was missing or that I was second guessing in any way. It sounds like a candy that I get when I go to Estes Park, the have the best shops there. I am sure this recipe would fit right in, and maybe surpass.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    ps If you use wax paper, put newspapers or something under it or you will have wax on your table, etc. Guess how I know.

I did that with Cabbage Burgers the first time I made them - cool the mix before you start wrapping DUH SEAN (I am getting concerned with how often I say that to myself lately). BTW - the second time I used sour cream and it was awesome!

Hudmidity effects candymaking. I use a thermometer and back it up with the cold water test. There are two different kinds of pralines. The soft pecan "New Orleans Pralines" and a hard praline that is cooked to the hard crack stage like peanut brittle. In fact it is like an almond or hazlenut brittle....no milk or cream so it can take the igher temperature without burning. Hard praline is usually crushed and used in pastry creams, fostings, or fillings.

Here's a chart from About.com about the different temperatures and stages in candy making.

Temperatures for Cooking Confectioneries
    Some cooks prefer to use a candy thermometer and some prefer to use the old-fashioned cold water way to test the doneness of candy. Below there are directions for both.
    Thread Stage - begins at 230 degrees F. - Makes a long thread when dropped in cold water.

Soft Ball - 234 degrees F. - Forms a soft ball that doesn't hold its shape. Cream candies, fudge, fondants are done at the soft ball stage.

Firm Ball - 246 degrees F. - This ball will only flatten with pressure. Divinity and Caramels.

Hard Ball - 250 degrees F. - This ball will hold its shape when pressed. Taffy.

Soft Crack - 270 degrees F. - Separates into bendable threads. Toffee and Butterscotch.

Hard Crack - 300 degrees F. - Becomes brittle. Peanut Brittle.

Caramelize - 310 degrees F - Sugar turns dark

[QUOTE=seanibu]234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

I guess I didn't understand this comment. I thought you meant you wanted a more detailed recipe.

[QUOTE=Grgranny]
    Quote Originally Posted by seanibu
    234, yah I couldn't say that this is a more precise recipe, woh!

I guess I didn't understand this comment. I thought you meant you wanted a more detailed recipe.
    Maybe it is that I am not flat out admitting that I really have never made candies / confections, and did not know how precise you have to be with this - thanks Piel for the run down. I have also heard now that I am asking, that the type of weather can play a part in it to. Someone said that you should avoid making candy on a cloudy day, best when the sun is out on a clear day. ???? WOW!

Also they asked if anyone would have some thoughts on making "Divinity Fudge." This sound incredibly difficult from their explanation. Sounds easier to split an Atom.

Candymaking is basically resizing and flavoring sugar crystals. You disolve the sugar in a liquid and then remove part of the liquid. When there is more moisture in the air it effects how much water is already in the sugar, how long it must be cooked to remove the correct amout of added water, and how much moisture from he air is reabsorbed after cooking. More room humidity = sticky candy and/or candy that won't set up to the desired firmness.

Divinity is not that difficult to make. There is divinity made from brown sugar and divinity made from white sugar. It is also sometimes called seafoam candy. Divinity is meringue that is cooked by addng hot sugar syrup (AKA italian meringue). The sugar mixture is cooked to the correct stage and then slowly streamed into whipped eggwhites while being beaten by a mixer. The hot syrup cooks the egg whites. It is then flavored. Pecans are sometimes added or the kind made with white sugar can be tinted with food coloring. Divinity is very sensitive to humidity. One of my best friends mother used to make 'seafoam" all of the time. She used white sugar and tinted it very pale blue, green, and aqua.

Italian meringue with softened butter beaten in makes italian meringue buttercream that is wonderful for wedding cakes. Seven minute icing (frosting) is very similar to italian meringue. The differenece is all of the ingrediants including the raw unbeaten eggwhites are mixed together and then slowly heated over a double broiler while continuously beating until peaks form.

You make it sound so simple, I guess I am not that intimidated anymore. Your clarification is wonderful and it sounds like the rooms humidity is the important thing over what it might be outside - although these things have correlation to each other. As many times as I have watched someone make candies, I 'spose it is time I put my hands in there.

I understood the making of the maringue for have done that a few times, but the way it was being explained to me I did not quite get the gist of how these two things were coming together in making Divinity- that might have been the confusion talk of Hardcrack and the weather all wrapped into a hurried discussion in passing. Also other things on my mind that have to do with Mom, and she is the reason I am asking about the Divinity fudge.

The pralines I guess were the first interest, because that is one I truly enjoy - it always seems to be Chocolate overdose supreme that people make. I am really glad that it went to candies for me, because it has been awhile since Mom has been to excited about being at home more (can't move ore see to well), and the other kids don't do anything with her anymore - even my sister who lives 5 houses away - big twerp even tells her kids (mom's grands) not to go over when mom would love to see them every day. Blaa blaa....sorry for getting off.

Anyway thank you so much and it is helping in more ways then you think. Guess Mom doesn't care about her teeth anymore! And we have something to do and we are both interested in.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 05-13-2006 at 06:39 PM.

BTW, Grgranny, I will be trying the pralines recipe tomorrow with Mom on "her" day.
    Thank you soooo much!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast