Good recipes? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Good recipes?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

For Mother's Day dinner each of us brought something to share with mom. I brought a low carb chocolate peanut butter pie. I had not made it before so thought this was a good chance to do so.

1 Store bought Graham Cracker Crust
1 Box Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding (smaller)
1 3/4 cup Skim Milk
2/3 Cup low fat or sugar free (can use regular too) Peanut Butter
1 small carton Whipped Topping

Heat peanut butter in microwave for about one minute on half power. Pour into graham cracker crust---smoothing out. Make surgar free pudding following recipe for making pies and pour on top of peanut butter. Cool in refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. Top with Cool Whip for serving.

It was quite a hit and people couldn't believe that it was low carb. I do think when I make it again I may use may 1/2 cup of peanut butter instead.

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Dee that sounds good, I wonder how it would be with butterscotch or vanilla pudding? Kinda like a Reeces pie.

I found my recipe that got buried for the Asian Potato Salad. Mom pointed out that it might be best if people used there own recipe for potato salad because that is what they like best, and also if you have spisific restains such as salt or something it would be better to use that for it is just an addition more or less.

So basically - start out with 2lb of Potato Salad, you favorite.

Other ingredients are;
1 1/2 tb Sesame oil
1 tb unsalted Peanut Butter
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tb sesame seeds
1 medium Red Bell pepper - diced fine
2 c Bok Choi - just stocks - diced
1 lg Asian Pear - diced
1 c Red Onion - diced fine
4 oz of Bean Sprouts - whole
1 tb Hot Mustard - only if you like it

Add to Potato Salad everything but the Bean sprouts. I like to add the Bok Choi leaves sliced length wise ( called shifanood - but I don't know how to spell it). After it is all mixed together, slowly fold in bean sprouts to try and keep them whole. If you like extra crunchy, sprinkle chow mein noodles on top - people can spoon underneath if they don't want them. Refrigerate covered for 3 hours or more before serving.

jfdw

Rinkside
Hi Seanibu
The Asian Potato Salad I have what may be a silly sounding question but I am presuming when you say make your own favorite potato salad then add your ingredients , You mean just your own favorite ingredients for your own favorite salad and not the dressing. The only dressing that woul be used is your asian one
jfdw

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not silly of you at all.

jfdw said:
Hi Seanibu
The Asian Potato Salad I have what may be a silly sounding question but I am presuming when you say make your own favorite potato salad then add your ingredients , You mean just your own favorite ingredients for your own favorite salad and not the dressing. The only dressing that woul be used is your asian one
jfdw

...silly of me not to clarify.

You do make your favorite with alll the dressing you would normally. I did not go with authenticity here - being as Mayo is French in origin and the Dutch I believe found the peanut we commonly use today - it is more just for fun and just those few little Asian "touches" really make a difference. The first time I made it I substituted Hot mustard and used Sati Bahmbi (peanut sauce to sub for the peanut butter - not sure on spelling) which my roommate Sachit made. I was great but most thought it was to spicy to have more then a couple of bites.

The only thing other than that I should specify is that it is a traditional "American style" potato salad, not a German (although it might work but I think the dill and oily content would be overwhelming (plus I have normally had "GPS" as a hot dish) to the Asian aspect - but I might try it. Ray (a buddy) asked if he could just go and buy Potato Salad from the grocery. I don't see why not. My recipe for the potato salad is identical to the first deli I worked in.

On that thought it might even work if it was added to cole slaw...hum? It is hard not to have something go well as an "Asian dish" as long as you use Sesame oil, or use it instead of other oils. The Asian continent pretty much came up with most food dishes and the rest of the world has spawned off of them - minus the obvious things like Tomatoes (because the French found them in So. America) and Mayo, etc...

Note that I was not trying to represent a specific country of Asia, but influence from a majority of them.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Seanibu,

We made your recipe yesterday. I used boiled red potatoes, green onion instead of the red onion , celery, red bell pepper, bok choi, asian pear, bean sprouts,and added the water chestnuts. I did not use any of my usual potato salad dressings. Instead I made one using peanut oil, rice wine vinegar, a little Splenda (or sugar), and from your recipe the peanutbutter, sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes instead of the mustard. Also added a bit of grated ginger root and some edamame for MORE crunch. My mother suggests as an option omitting the peanutbutter and adding toasted cashews.

We really liked this but think added to a usual mayo based dressing would just have been way too many flavors and goopiness ( is that a word, LOL?).

Another option would be substituting grilled chicken, salmon, or tuna for the potato. Again, leaving out the peanutbutter and maybe adding a little frsh lime juice instead of the rice wine vinegar.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Seanibu,

We made your recipe yesterday.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Sounds good, love the subs. I'll have to try them.

BTW, IMO the Mustard is a MUST!

Look forward to variations and improvements. Like the idea of an "Asian Chicken or Salmon Salad." Numski!

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
....some edamame for MORE crunch.

What "kind" of edamame? I stick with Japanese sushi style ideals on this one, Steam with heavy salt and "suck" the peas out from the inside. I really think this is one of those terms that has become associated with every type of soybean there is. I conceder those verities more of a "snow pea" type or the north western / Kentucky verities that we are starting to see more often. I don't believe the ones they are passing off at Wendy's in their "Asian salad" or even some grocery stores are selling "true edamame." I think the popularity of a word again is getting the designation to any strain of soybean.

So what did you use? and did you remove the pods?
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/edamame1.jpg
or
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/soybean.jpg

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Buzz Guac

1 avocado

2 tsp lime juice

1/2 c FREASH cilantro

1/4 c fine diced onion

1 tomato pressed and strained

2 large garlic cloves, minced

chilies / jalapenos seeded, minced - pick what you like for "heat" (one should do it )

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp Black pepper

Blend with a large fork avocado with lime juice in small bowl. Add cilantro, onion, tomato, garlic, "chilies," pepper, salt and fold.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This was GOOD! and did't stick around very long

Danette Randall's Strawberry Almond Galettes

1 pkg frozen puff pastry

1 lb. cut up strawberries

1 tbls. almond extract

2 tsp. sugar

1 beaten egg

1/2 cup crushed almost slices

flour for rolling out pastry

2 tbls. whipping cream

extra strawberries for garnish

extra almonds for garnish

Almond Whipping Cream: 2 cups whipping cream, 1 tbls. almond extract, 2 tsp. sugar. Beat until soft peaks form.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease baking sheet. Take out puff pastry to thaw. In medium size bowl, combine strawberries, almond extract, sugar and stir. Add beaten egg and almonds and toss until well combined. Unfold puff pastry. It comes in tri-fold. Separate into 3 pieces and then cut each in half. Roll out with rolling pin and flour 2 inches on each side of square. Drop 2 Tbls. strawberry mixture in middle. Fold up sides until just to strawberry mix. This is supposed to look uneven. Brush whipping cream on crust. Repeat until you have formed all galettes. Transfer to baking pan. Bake 16-19 minutes until golden brown. Cool on waxed paper.

Serve with heaping dollop of whipped cream and garnish with strawberries and a few almonds.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
seanibu said:
What "kind" of edamame? I stick with Japanese sushi style ideals on this one, Steam with heavy salt and "suck" the peas out from the inside. I really think this is one of those terms that has become associated with every type of soybean there is. I conceder those verities more of a "snow pea" type or the north western / Kentucky verities that we are starting to see more often. I don't believe the ones they are passing off at Wendy's in their "Asian salad" or even some grocery stores are selling "true edamame." I think the popularity of a word again is getting the designation to any strain of soybean.

So what did you use? and did you remove the pods?
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/edamame1.jpg
or
http://www.hwbhost.com/images/soybean.jpg

Sorry Seanibu to take so long to answer. Frozen, in the pod from the frozen organics department of Krogers. Steamed and then remoed from the pods and chilled before adding to the salad. The pods are fuller and the beans plumper than the peas in snow peas. More like sugar snap peas, IMO. Wendy's has salad with edamame? The Asian chicken salad at our Wendys has chicken, mandarin oranges, chow mein noodles, almonds, and a sesame dressing. I never buy salads out....much too picky about my lettuce which must be torn, never cut, and spun dry, LOL. I HATE wet, cut, or brown salad greens and I especially hate the middle rib section of romaine. With all of the nice pre washed bagged salad greans it is just as easy to make them myself. I love the baby lettuces mixed half and half with baby spinach. The perfect salad, IMO is half baby mixed greens, half baby spinach, with grape tomatoes, black olives, and a few rings of Vidalia onion with a dressing of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, fresh ground black pepper and sea salt...yummy!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am glad to hear that about the edamame, I was getting the impression you know what you are doing - to some existent :laugh: J/K I think now that it could be McDonalds with the Quote, edamame Unquote, in it. They look like snow or snap peas in the commercial. I have never had either one and much prefer making my own as well. Kinda disappointed in the lettuce style salads I have lately - care providing for Mom has its draw backs, in this case she wont eat the "baby" lettuce or Field green mixes. Thank goodness they love onions though (I love this season, Vidalia:clap: ) I will chop them pizan, rinse, put them in a bowl and eat:love:

I will have to say something that came to mind just now. You said you thought it seemed like something was missing from the Asian Pot Sal. and you had no mustard in anyway? that might be what was missing, JAT Meant in all graciousness and no sarcasm. Also the salad dressing with the peanutbutter gives a surprising (cause no one would imagine that mayo in a Asian ....) flavor.
I love trying out physiological things with food allot, and the fact that what people think before they eat and how it looks come out to be about the same in how much they are going to like it. As soon as I told my mom there was Feta:love: :love: cheese in a dressing she loved, she stopped using it:laugh: My dad said he would like to have Tuna salad with out the (purple) cabbage I mince in it, so I minced white in it and he said he loved it so much more then with the cabbage.:laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Strawberry Pie yummmmmmmmmmmm

French Strawberry Glace Pie

1 baked pie shell

1 Qt. Strawberries 3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water 1 3 oz pkg cream cheese softened
1 cup sugar

Wash, drain and hull strawberries. Simmer 1 cup strawberries and 2/3 cup water about 3 min. Blend sugar, cornstarch and remaining 1/3 cup water: add to boiling mixture. Boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Cool. Spread cream cheese over bottom of cooled baked pie shell. Save out 1/2 cup choice berries; put remaining 2 1/2 cups berries in baked pie shell. Cover with cooked mixture and garnish with the 1/2 cup berries. Refrigerate until firm-about 2 hr. Serve with whipped cream, your favorite topping , or ice cream.

I'm on my way to start one now.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds good!

Mom and I just made a Strawberry pie but you use a box of Jello and a box of Pudding mixed with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water - both boxes 1 1/2 cups water - and pour it over the sliced strawberries in the gramcracker crust. and cool 'til firm. Soooo easy, but doesn't sound as good as yours.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hey Seanibu, it is McDonald's that has an Asian salad with edamame. Got one today to check it out. Not bad, it does have edamame and it also has snow peas (pods), also, mandarin oranges, carrots, red bell peppers, chicken in an ornge glaze that is heavy on the garlic, and Paul Newman's sesame dressing. Down side was it had chopped Romaine that contained the rib part of the leaf and I HATE that.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
P L you can call me Sean if you wish. So it has edamame beans with out the pods as well as the snow peas? That does sound good. Of corse the romaine ribs don't sound all that appealing to me either but i don't mind them - as long as they are the hearts they aren't that bad. Love the Heavy on the Garlic, nummy! Sorry about the Wendy's diversion.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks Sean and you may call me P or L or PL or Piel or Patti or what my family calls me either Sally or Trish. But never Pat, had a boss that insisted on calling me that and I hate it, or Miss ____________ makes me feel OLD and besides I use Ms.