The Lyrical or the Bravura Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Lyrical or the Bravura Skaters

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Joe--in response to your last question--I feel that both Kimmie and Mao are more lyrical than bravura, especially Kimmie. But both are still so young that is hard to say for sure which style they fall into. (I have not seen Yu-Na skate, so I can't comment on her.)

This is such an interesting topic. Inherently, I am more drawn to lyrical skaters, but I very much appreciate the bravura skaters as well.

Sasha, to me, is definitely a bravura skater. I have always felt that about her. There is a strong element of "Look what I can do" to Sasha's skating, which stands apart from any music she may perform to. When Sasha is skating, I feel like she is using the music to emphasize *her skating*--the spirals, the spins, etc. It's less about the specific music than about Sasha and what she can do. The music exists as a necessary, but secondary, backdrop.

Whereas with Michelle, when she's at her best, it's like she is very purely expressing the character of the music. It is about the music and the mood and the emotion--not so much about Michelle herself.

Katia Gordeeva is also a truly lyrical skater--very much at one with the music--never emphasizing her own tricks or dramatic expressions, but instead the character of the music itself.

This of course is just my opinion, very unique to me, and obviously something that other people will disagree with.

Oksana Baiul was a female skater who really combined both qualities. At her peak, she was exceptionally musical and could probably skate successfully to any kind of music; in this, she was inherently lyrical. Yet she also had such charisma and drama that ultimately your attention was always truly on Oksana--and in that she was bravura.

eyria - I agree with you. Sasha is definitely in the bravura class for me. Not that her jumps are so virtuostic but that her style carries the attitude of 'I'm the best'. There is nothing wrong with that attitude. It comes with the style. She's a wonderful bravura skater. Really the best I've ever seen.

And yes, Michelle is all about the music. Some fans want a skater more dynamic than Michelle. I don't.

MKFsfan - Yeah. Lyra Angelica was the one that made me think of her being one with the music. Priceless!

While I loved Salome, it was a performance by a very young skater. I would love to see her do that again, NOW. This is where lyrical and bravura can be broken down depending on the music. Lyric dramatic vs. Bravura dramatic? Think Tosca. How would you want to see it skated?

But let us not forget the talents of Sasha who put the bravura to good use in Dark Eyes and Malaguena.

Joe

MKFSfan said:
So, if Shiz is taken out, is Irina in there? She's got her technical brilliance and flair and she's definitely not introverted!

I can't imagine anyone calling Irina lyrical rather than bravura, so we're on the same page here.

Maybe Sasha accents the bravura in SP and lyrical in LP? I don't know enough to answer those who criticize her technically but there is a fire in her SPs that makes them bravura performances for me.

What is "the lip"?

As for Kimmie, Mao, Yu Na, and Elene... wow.

Kimmie doesn't excel in either style for me, perhaps the reason I can't get excited about her. She doesn't have the beautiful line and emotion to be a lyrical skater nor the showiness to be a bravura one. But given that her jumps seem to have won her the gold at worlds (I don't really buy those high PCs) I guess I would have to expect her to develop more of the bravura side.

Yu Na: definitely lyrical. Mao: bravura. Elene: lyrical, I think - she looks so much like a Russian ballerina to me.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Spun Silver said:
\

Maybe Sasha accents the bravura in SP and lyrical in LP? I don't know enough to answer those who criticize her technically but there is a fire in her SPs that makes them bravura performances for me.

I think we've only seen 3 SP's from Sasha during her Sr. years and they seem to be very similar. As for LP's, aside from Carmen, I agree, she seems to take the "lyrical", soft and balletic route (Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Rach, R&J have similar styles). Maybe in an SP, where a skater's tech. is more important, it's better to show thru a bravura style? Michelle has had both styles-Romanza, The Feeling Begins VS Rach, East of Eden for example. I've always noticed the difference in style, but I thought it was more due to skaters trying to present versatility by selecting different types of music for their SP and LP.

Spun Silver said:
What is "the lip"?

Opposite of flutz, basically! Shiz has a strong lutz, but tends to rock onto her outside edge for her flip.

Spun Silver said:
As for Kimmie, Mao, Yu Na, and Elene... wow.

Kimmie doesn't excel in either style for me, perhaps the reason I can't get excited about her. She doesn't have the beautiful line and emotion to be a lyrical skater nor the showiness to be a bravura one. But given that her jumps seem to have won her the gold at worlds (I don't really buy those high PCs) I guess I would have to expect her to develop more of the bravura side.

Yu Na: definitely lyrical. Mao: bravura. Elene: lyrical, I think - she looks so much like a Russian ballerina to me.

I'm indifferent right now, but at the same time, excited to see these ladies develop their own styles. I don't think Kimmie is the next MK in terms of how Michelle went from being a jumping bean to one of the most artistic skaters. Of the 4 you mentioned, Yu Na looks to be the most complete skater, and if that's so, probably will have both lyrical and bravura performances in her future.

shine

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
I kind of see Joannie Rochette as both, which is why I like her. I usually go for the more lyrical skaters, but she seems to be a really nice combination.
I agree. Takahashi and Lambiel also seem to possess both qualities. so did Oksana Baiul.
And another skater I really loved was Tiffany Stiegler skating as a pairs skater. I had just never seen a more classically beautiful presence on the ice than her.
These skaters all can swtich from one style to the other when the music demands.

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
I definitely think of Michelle as lyrical but she has had programs that are bravura in recent years such as The Feeling Begins.