Bebe, Stephanie, and other non-Olympians | Golden Skate

Bebe, Stephanie, and other non-Olympians

Just wondering what folks think of these and other gifted skaters who didn't make it onto the Olympic team. What do the next few years hold for them, in your opinion?

I'm not familiar with Bebe's competing history other than the results posted on her website, but I recently saw an allusion to Bebe blowing key competitions. What is the story?

I don't think that Beatrisa Liang has a reputation for choking in big competitions -- no, not at all.

But it does appear that she has reached her level. She was the most promising youngster on the horizon when she got 6th at Nationals, way back in 2001. But she has kind of hung around that mark, with fifth in both 2005 and 2006.

BTW, I wish I had remembered Bebe on the other thread where we were supposed to vote for the "smartest skater." She is an outstanding student as well as an accomplished pianist.

No wait -- "smartest skater" = Stephanie Rosenthal! Following in the footsteps of Dr. Debi Thomas by starting at Stanford next fall.

Stephanie won the "best crowd reaction" hands down at U.S. Nationals. But she does not have the full complement of jumps necessary to take her to the next level of competition.

In fact, I don't see her listed in the team envelopes on the USFS site (she was only the "2nd alternate" for junior worlds this year. I am not sure what her competitive plans are for the 2006-2007 season, if she intends to be a full time college student.

IMHO Katy Taylor is next year's big thing. Look out, Kimmie, Mao and Yu-na, LOL. Also Christine Zukowski and Caroline Zhang might surprise.

MM :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
In fact, I don't see her listed in the team envelopes on the USFS site (she was only the "2nd alternate" for junior worlds this year.
The 2006-07 team funding envelopes have not been announced yet -- it should happen sometime during USFSA's Govening Council meeting this week. Based on her 2006 Nationals placement (8th in senior, her highest finish to date), Stephanie Rosenthal has a shot at getting a JGP assignment -- I have my fingers crossed for her! :)

P.S. I'm hoping/planning to provide an update on Stephanie's plans in the near future, so stay tuned...

Last edited:
Thanks, Sylvia. Do you have any inside dope about how she plans to balance school with skating next year?

PS. You read my mind, LOL. :)

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Bebe and others

I'm not terribly impressed with Bebe, she's a nice skater but just doesn't knock my socks off, there's no stretch and she doesn't make the elements stand out as memorable. She reminds me of Amber Corwin, nice but that's all.

Katy Taylor has already shown she's moving up, hopefully she'll continue to improve.

I am interested in some of the Junior ladies who might be moving up, Megan Hyatt, Rachael Flatt and Melissa Bulanhagui were the top three at Junior ladies at Nats. Now I see that Bulanhagui has moved up to Senior and also a skater named Becky Bereswill who really impressed me at regionals last year.

NC

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Bebe has impressed me at times! She has a lovely layback and fast, well done spins. I like her spirals, but they could be stretched out more. I loved her Harry Potter program, but I think at times her other programs have so much energy, she ends up looking frantic. At one point she had a 3lutz/3loop, but hip injuries took the loop away and made it a problematic jump. It's a shame, because I really do like her!

Stephanie defintely won "best crowd reaction" at Nationals! I hope she continues skating and gets all her triples. There was a post somewhere that she had a 3lutz last fall, but seems to have lost it. I don't think it's a "disservice" to send her to JrGP because although she shows a wonderful dance quality and musicality in her programs, she doesn't have her triples...yet. I hope she can get them!

I am looking forward to seeing what Katy Taylor can bring to the Sr. level next year. She was fun to watch at 4CC and her LP at Nationals was really nice, but I didn't think she was at the same level as Kimmie, Mao or Yu Na Kim. She'll get there!

Then there's Christine Z. I thought she was kinda boring and simple, but she did manage a bronze at Jr. Worlds, so maybe she can move up, too!

I really think, after this season, if all the veterans retire, the top 5 to watch will be Mao, Yu Na, Kimmie, Elene and Yukari. But you never know! Injuries, puberty, the ice is slippery...

All the skaters mentioned so far are very competitive, and the juniors in Spokane will really have to produce to get a medal. Most interesting to watch: Caroline Zhang.

The senior ladies have a difficult time if the two senior veterans decide to give eligibility another chance. If one of the veterans decides not give it a whirl this year then maybe Katy will come into force. Most interesting to watch: Kimmie Meissner.

Joe

rob43

On the Ice
I think the whole bunch from about 2-6 at nationals should be very compelling this next year or two. Kimmie is World champ but Katie and Emily could very well place above her if the stars align. As could Czisney if she has her mental game together. And Bebe is still young enough to make a run at things (and being top 6 3 or 4 times is certainly striking distance.)

We'll see how it all goes. I have no favorities among the younger girls so I'm looking forward too some classic battles. (I think Kwan/Cohen might do well to rest a year before deciding to go forward in eligibles or not.) This might be a repeat of 81-98 where only 2 women won back to back US titles and reigning world and US medalists/champs where coughing up teir titles on home ice no less.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
When Liang first burst on the scene, she was very thin, and was considered one of the baby ballerinas. She then went through a period of serious injury and also went through puberty. She's always had a lot of energy; I'd call her a "feisty" skater. Recovering from injury two years ago, she had to drop the loop from her program. US Nationals still used the 6.0 system, and I think it was because of this that she lost 4th place at 2005 US Nationals to Jennifer Kirk, who was slow and had little amplitude in her Portland LP; neither were clean, but Liang had way more speed and energy. Since Meissner wasn't age-eligible for Moscow, Liang would have been the third US lady there, and I think it would have meant a great deal for Liang's confidence in the 2005-6 season had she skated at least credibly in Moscow.

Liang also did extremely well in the SP in one of her first senior GP events. (I think it was TEB.) She was among the top skaters after the SP, but had a flawed LP and fell off the podium. That, and some good SP performances followed by other middling LP performances are what makes some believe that she is not a good competitor.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I will continue to root for Bebe & Stephanie and will enjoy watching for all the others too.

It gets so emotional and stressed with the skaters at the very top - it is kind of fun to relax and enjoy those just below!

jesslily

Final Flight
Bebe has been a good technician. She just does not have the whole package to break into top three. I feel she should actively pursue future in college education. For the next Olympic, Kimmie, Rachel Flatt, and Caroline Zhang make the US best team. Internationally, Mao Asada, Yu-na Kim, and maybe a few young kids from Russia and Europe will be the ones to watch.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I disagree that Liang does not have the total package. Her two programs in 2005 by Sarah Kawahara had, in my opinion, the most intricate and musical choreography combined than any of the ladies that placed above her. In terms of choreography, Cohen and Kwan had great SP's (Dark Eyes and Spartacus) and weak LP's (Nutcracker and Bolero). Kirk's SP was cute (Chicago), and despite the show-girl choreography had SP jump content, but the Beatles muzak LP was awful. Meissner's choreography was forgettable.

To me, Bebe is one of those skaters who is absolutely superb when she hits everything. But when she doesn't, a missed jump or two drags the whole program down. She cannot (like Sasha or Alissa Czisny can ) "make up" for mistakes by shining in other areas.

Yoshie Onda is another one like that, to me.

Nigel

On the Ice
Numbers Cruncher said:
I am interested in some of the Junior ladies who might be moving up, Megan Hyatt, Rachael Flatt and Melissa Bulanhagui were the top three at Junior ladies at Nats. Now I see that Bulanhagui has moved up to Senior and also a skater named Becky Bereswill who really impressed me at regionals last year.

NC

we have heard through the grapevine that Flatt is working with Tom Dickson this year as well as Lori Nichol on her new programs. anxious to see how their choreography translates to someone so small and young.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
To me, Bebe is one of those skaters who is absolutely superb when she hits everything. But when she doesn't, a missed jump or two drags the whole program down. She cannot (like Sasha or Alissa Czisny can ) "make up" for mistakes by shining in other areas.
I agree with your first comment. But I don't agree with the second. I've seen her maintain speed and attack, particularly in spins, even when she has trouble with jumps. She doesn't have the spiral or polish that Czissny has, but I've never seen her self-destruct as badly in non-cheeze competition as Czisny did at the end of the 2005-6 season when her jumps failed her. Czisny has lovely line and polish in spirals and spins and fantastic speed in spins and spins, but her jump technique is a bit scary. Liang is not a polished skater.

I

IcyBallerina

So true about Czisny's jumps, hockeyfan. Her double axel is terrifying- even when she does land it, I flinch watching the tapes. Something about her axel makes me want to cover my eyes...
On Ice Diaries, though, they had her trying triples in a harness. *shrug*

I have a problem with fans posting doomsday for skaters based on their last performance(s). Poor Brian was just dropped from everyone's list particularly when he placed 6th at the Olys not to mention his poor showings for the two years prior to the Olys. Yet if one looked at his Oly program, one would see a vast amount of improvements in his carriage, edging, spinning, and flow. Unfortunately, his jumps failed him. Therefore, how many fans wrote him off? Of course they wont admit that now but Brian was not on anyones prediction list. It was Buttle, Sandhu, Weir. What Joubert had to do and I realized it was to get back what he always had - JUMPS! In my opinion fans tend to Rush to Judgement.

We are all aware of Liang's, Czisny's, Taylor's, and yes, Emilie too, weaknesses. I say let these Ladies have a chance at improvements. except for Emily they do not have that much chance to skate competitions.:sheesh:

We all know Kwans and Cohens weaknesses and do they improve?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
That reminds me of the time where everyone thought Czisny was the next big thing after just one good competition. Then after SC everyone was up in arms. I immediately got shut down when I pointed out that she has yet to prove herself in a major comp. In other words, one just never knows what's going to happen. Personally, I like shockers. I hate to see the same old people win all the time. :biggrin:

My point was I wouldn't write off Joubert and I will not write off Czisney. I would love the two divas to skip Nats so that we can get 3 new Ladies on the podium.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Looks like we might get at least one out of two. But there's also the possibility that MK may not choose to continue than that will free up new spots. But remember we have a new Diva now- I need not mention her name. But I'll give you a clue- she's the world champion.