Russian Customs Re: Flowers | Golden Skate

Russian Customs Re: Flowers

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I remember reading posts about customs in Russia about giving flowers, but I can't find any of them. Things like number -- IIRC even means one thing and odd another -- color, and type, and what is appropriate to give to a performer. Is there a difference between male and female? I'd appreciate any information on this topic.

(Thank you :) )

Wolfgang

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I remember reading posts about customs in Russia about giving flowers, but I can't find any of them. Things like number -- IIRC even means one thing and odd another -- color, and type, and what is appropriate to give to a performer. Is there a difference between male and female? I'd appreciate any information on this topic.

(Thank you :) )

Even numbers are for funerals.......odd is the way to go.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The only real rule is that it has to be an odd number (unless you're dealing with Estonians - there it's the reverse). Technically there are many other rules as well but nobody remembers them.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Not a Russian tradition but having to do with flowers. It used to be on Mother's Day that female always wore coursages to church. White if your mother was dead and pink or red if she was still living.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Many thanks! 11 or 15 it is :)

Acutely neet to know. Glad that was posted. Don't run into many "Russians" though.:eek:hwell:

Last edited: