Alina Somova -(Yagudin) a gold digger??? | Golden Skate

Alina Somova -(Yagudin) a gold digger???

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If you read the thread in the link, the Kirov-Mariinsky has been promoting Alina Somova by casting her prominently in roles and galas. She does not need to date Alexei Yagudin to get publicity. She gets enough by dancing the classics in a non-traditional, some would say non-classical, way.

As far as being a gold-digger, there are wealthier fish in the sea in Russia and many millionaires who would love to drape her over their arms. Yagudin might be young and cute, but I doubt he's bestowing her with jewels and apartments, the traditional gifts of ballerina "admirers."

bloozywoozy

Rinkside
hockeyfan228 said:
If you read the thread in the link, the Kirov-Mariinsky has been promoting Alina Somova by casting her prominently in roles and galas. She does not need to date Alexei Yagudin to get publicity. She gets enough by dancing the classics in a non-traditional, some would say non-classical, way.

As far as being a gold-digger, there are wealthier fish in the sea in Russia and many millionaires who would love to drape her over their arms. Yagudin might be young and cute, but I doubt he's bestowing her with jewels and apartments, the traditional gifts of ballerina "admirers."

Regardless of how she dances, she did not approach him (so she could not be the "gold-digger"). From a recent article speaking to Alexei himself, he said
he apporached her .

Please be happy for him/them and wish them much love and happiness.:yes:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
bloozywoozy said:
Regardless of how she dances, she did not approach him (so she could not be the "gold-digger"). From a recent article speaking to Alexei himself, he said
he apporached her .
That proves nothing; making the approacher feel like it was his/her idea is the oldest trick in the book. But my point was that it is unlikely that she is either of the ridiculous accusations, because she doesn't need him for the publicity -- she is well known in Russia, dances leading roles for the Mariinsky, and gets plenty of reviews in many countries and languages -- and if she wanted money, as a well-known, young, and beautiful dancer in Russia who has the ability to meet anyone she wanted to, she would have chosen someone far wealthier, who would give her assets she could sell (or live in) after the relationship faded.

NURSEGAL said:
in surfing the web for alina the ballerina i came across the following reviews... so is she looking for publicity or is she a gold digger???

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/lofiversion/index.php/t19768.html
Ballet in Russia as it is in the US is whole lot more popular than figure skating. I think Yags was trying to get more high level publicity. He won a gold medal at the Olympics but that was more than 4 years ago. Everyday citizens do not remember Olympic gold medalists forever.

Butryskaya's Worlds gold medal would be more remembered because she is still in the everyday citizens eyes with broadcasting.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joesitz said:
Ballet in Russia as it is in the US is whole lot more popular than figure skating. I think Yags was trying to get more high level publicity. He won a gold medal at the Olympics but that was more than 4 years ago. Everyday citizens do not remember Olympic gold medalists forever.

Butryskaya's Worlds gold medal would be more remembered because she is still in the everyday citizens eyes with broadcasting.

Joe

Also, Yags has been in the US for the past four years, so he is more likely to be forgotten in Russia than is someone who didn't leave, no matter how long ago they made their mark (not only Maria B. but I understand that Alexei U is quite loved there, even though he is largely forgotten in the US)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hmmm, I am certain that if you ask 100 random people on the street in Russia, most will be able to identify Yagudin, and most will not be able to identify Somova.

bloozywoozy

Rinkside
He's not being "forgotten" anywhere,lol!

Alexei was hugely popular in Stars on Ice ( next to Scott in a recent SOI poll) and still would be if he was still skating here ( his photos were the first to be sold-out, his photos and video on the SOI site have the most hits by a landslide...no, he is not forgotten,lol)

Now that Alexei is skating in Russia, he gets the most applauses/ovations, and he is tremdously popular there. They love him so much and thanks to him and other skaters, figure skating is on the upswing there now. Anton S. said they are treated like stars.

The Japanese response to him is absolutely wild also. When he skates there, the arena is sold out in hours! lol

Alexei won't be forgotten ;)

And yes, I have heard something about "playing games/manipulating", etcmaking it seem like it was their idea, but I hope not . Maybe it was just one of those magical moments where they clicked and are in love and happy...:agree:

Let them be and see where Cupid/Fate take them...:yes:

Blue Bead

Medalist
I guess I don't see the point in casting aspersions one way or the other, lol, whether Somova is or isn't a publicity seeker or a gold digger, or for that matter whether Yagudin is or isn't as well.

I can't see why Alexei would be seeking out some Russian ballet artiste to raise his own popularity profile in Russia. According to numerous online reports from various skating boards, his popularity among the Russian people isn't in question. Throngs of people are going to the Russian tour to see him perform. Nor can I understand why Somova would be getting cozy with Yagudin as a means to further her popularity unless she had some delusions about becoming a figure skater, lol. I wasn't aware that there was any real connection between the worlds of figure skating and ballet, other than beautiful movements. Perhaps they are attracted to each other for purely emotional and physical reasons.

I know for a fact that NYC can sustain 7 weeks of ballet and a one night stand of professional figure skating. I can't imagine Moscow liking figure skating more than ballet.

Of course, I could be wrong since I really don't have the artistic drift of Moscow.

Joe

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
In Moscow? I can see skating being a bigger draw. St. Petersburg? Ballet.

Nursegal, what are you trying to start? You posted the exact same thing at at least two boards (here and FSU.)

I doubt EITHER of them "needs" the publicity or a sugar daddy/momma. I hope they're very happy, and if they did get married, wouldn't they have pretty children (and potentially talented children.)

soogar

Record Breaker
Just the usual uberfan b!tching that their skater is taken. :rolleye: :rolleye: (these rolleyes are way too cute).

Sorry but a skater isn't going to stay single just for you.