Silverstein and O'Meara | Golden Skate

Silverstein and O'Meara

Sounds like they split to me. Sad. That was a team in development. And this began before the worlds.

I wonder what the real reason was. If one wanted to go, I guess there just wasn't anyone else to get on board. Can't see both of them wanting to go at the same time.

Joe

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Doesn't surprise me one bit. But, if she's going to take another year off, I think she might as well call it quits for good. The young teams in the US are improving too quickly for Jamie to take another break if she wants to be competitive ever again.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Yeah, that sounds like "We're quitting but we don't want to say we're quitting." Must listen for rink scuttlebutt at work....

Vash01

Medalist
My fears became reality. I don't understand why anyone would want to skate competitively for just one year, then quit (or take time off, as they put it). I see it as a waste of talent- theirs and that of Matthew-Zavozin who would have been on the Olympic team, had S&O not placed higher at the USN. M&Z are likely to continue through 2010 and this (2006) would have been a good experience for them.

Vash

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
couldn't agree more, Vash

guess I'll have to change my banner now... *sigh*

Jhar55

Medalist
Not only a waste of time and talent but the cost someone is footing the bill.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Silverstein & O'Meara

Gosh, I'm sorry to read this. I enjoyed them a lot at Nationals and was happy to see Ryan get a chance to go to the Olympics. I haven't followed dance very closely but thought he got dumped by Lydia Manon the previous year so this was a great opportunity for him. I do remember Jamie from 2000 Nationals where she was very exciting to watch. Their decision not to go to Worlds was sort of a sign of problems. I think her eating disorder probably factors into this decision - JMO.

Wishing them both the best.
Maureen

Tinika

Rinkside
It is too bad. Jamie can't seem to stay with one partner long enough to really break through. Is it confirmed that she has an eating disorder?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tinika said:
It is too bad. Jamie can't seem to stay with one partner long enough to really break through. Is it confirmed that she has an eating disorder?

she HAD an eating disorder... she has it "under control" now... but it never really leaves you, and I'm sure training side by side with Tanith Belbin (she's so thin!) doesn't help lol

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If Jamie is in fact have troubles with the eating disorder again, then I think it is good for her to take a break -- the risk to her health isn't worth it. Also, her scream after learning she made the Oly team is one of my favorite moments from Nats.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I got a feeling that Jamie's goal was to come onto the scene, have a fun year, and to back to her life. She accomplished that beautifuly.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
If it's ED-related, don't blame Tanith, blame Igor. The most repeatable thing I've heard about him in that regard is and I quote, "All his girls are anorexic." (Given the LESS repeatable things, I would guess it would be more accurate to say they're all buliemic, but six of one....)

Maybe she came back, saw she could still do it, and decided, "Okay, now I can move on before it gets crazy again." Or, heck, maybe Ryan is the one who wanted to call it quits. Who knows?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not blaming anyone (I've heard the rumors about Igor... but there are a lot of skaters who don't take from him who look exactly like his girls so *shrugs*) just saying that in that type of setting, be it Igor or just the thinner skaters (there's nothing wrong with Jamie at all, she's gorgeous!) it's gotta be difficult (it would be for me and I don't HAVE an eating disorder issue)

Ptichka said:
I got a feeling that Jamie's goal was to come onto the scene, have a fun year, and to back to her life. She accomplished that beautifuly.
Did she care about the feelings of her partner or do you think she made that clear from the beginning that this would just be one season?

Joe

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree with Ptichka. I think Jaimie's goal was to have fun and maybe her life long dream was to go to the Olympics. I was happy for them at Nationals but at 4CC I began to realize M/Z were better and have more potential.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Did she care about the feelings of her partner or do you think she made that clear from the beginning that this would just be one season?

Joe

Just before the Olympics I read an interview of Jamie and Ryan in the local newspaper (he is from Arizona). At that time they said (can't be sure if both of them said so or just one) that they were not just going to be satisfied making the Olympic team, but that they planned to continue after the Olympics (I am paraphrasing quite a bit). Something must have gone wrong after the Olympics because they did not even go to worlds and now this. I find it hard to believe that Ryan was looking for a one-year partner. He was without a partner after his old partner left him, and Jamie was trying to make a comeback. I wonder if success came to them too soon?

Vash

Interesting observation, Vash. I agree something had to be going on to have such dramatic turns. Will we ever know the true story? Also we haven't looked at the possibility that Ryun didn't want to continue.

M&Z, btw, were a huge disappointment at Worlds. I think Stiegler & M. and Bomentre and his partner will be more interesting to look at for 2007. I haven't given up on G-R and M either. It should be a good Nats for the US Dance teams.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Just before the Olympics I read an interview of Jamie and Ryan in the local newspaper (he is from Arizona). At that time they said (can't be sure if both of them said so or just one) that they were not just going to be satisfied making the Olympic team, but that they planned to continue after the Olympics (I am paraphrasing quite a bit). Something must have gone wrong after the Olympics because they did not even go to worlds and now this. I find it hard to believe that Ryan was looking for a one-year partner. He was without a partner after his old partner left him, and Jamie was trying to make a comeback. I wonder if success came to them too soon?

Vash

Honestly, this is fargin sad!!!! A tear here, ouch.