2008 Election | Golden Skate

2008 Election

Who should be the Dem in '08?

• Total voters

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Yes, I know there's a year and a half until, but who do you think the Democrats should put up?
Should it be Hillary?
Or Kerry again, if I can convince him to rejoin?
Or someone else?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think this time around Kerry would have the successful turn out that he had in 04. He's just not personable. John Edwards - certainly - and if I would put money on who could really be the golden ticket for the DNC I'd put my money on him even before Hillary (who at this point I think is a stronger candidate than anyone else). Edwards has a lot going for him, but I am not sure how his wife is doing (didn't her cancer return not too long after the election was over?) and so perhaps he is not a possibility.

Kerry had a lot going for him in 2004 - he was the "alternative" to the Bush administration, and he had John Edwards for the VP (believe it or not I had friends voting for Kerry just so Edwards would get the job *sigh*)

that's just my opinion... not that I care who runs for "that side" anyway... lol

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
As a Republican I could care less who the Dems run, but if were a Dem party official, I would think that Hilary would be their best bet just because of the fact that in reality, Democratic voters would really be casting their vote for Hilary AND Bill as a couple.

Personally, as a Republican, my choice for the Dem spot, if I'm asked who I would want in the White House if the Republican can't win, would be Joseph Lieberman. I think he is the least liberal and most honorable of the Democrats who have previously run for either Prez or VP.

If neither John McCain nor Rudy Giuliani is the Rep candidate, I think Hilary and Bill will be back in the White House. Here's why I believe that: Dem voters will jump at the chance to get BOTH the first lady president AND Bill as the first first uhhh, "gentleman".:rofl:

Lanie

On the Ice
jsteam4501s said:
As a Republican I could care less who the Dems run, but if were a Dem party official, I would think that Hilary would be their best bet just because of the fact that in reality, Democratic voters would really be casting their vote for Hilary AND Bill as a couple.

Personally, as a Republican, my choice for the Dem spot, if I'm asked who I would want in the White House if the Republican can't win, would be Joseph Lieberman. I think he is the least liberal and most honorable of the Democrats who have previously run for either Prez or VP.

If neither John McCain nor Rudy Giuliani is the Rep candidate, I think Hilary and Bill will be back in the White House. Here's why I believe that: Dem voters will jump at the chance to get BOTH the first lady president AND Bill as the first first uhhh, "gentleman".:rofl:

If Rudy ran I would so so so so vote for him. What a leader! :thumbsup:

If John Kerry ran again I'd laugh and laugh 'cause the Dems would so lose.

Nice to see another Republican here too! :)

Last edited:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
They're all crooks.
All politicians are, worldwide.
Hillary would be the most 'interesting' choice, but is realistically unelectable, the so-called 'silent majority' would vote her down with a vengeance.
Kerry?
No offense, OP, but you gotta be kidding......
The dems will probably win, though, simply because it is that time for rotation.
Not that it would make any difference.....

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Please, don't make fun of Kerry. I work hard for him and don't like to see him bashed.

Frankly, though, I'm just glad to see bush go. Don't get me started on him.

We in general, at GS are not prone to topics of politics and religion. they have proven to be trouble making.

Kerryfan - It's not what you do, it's how you handle it. It's open for bashing. Deal with it.

Joe

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Sorry about taking the bashing personally, I don't feel that way anymore. I just felt bad being the only Democrat.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kerry fan, maybe on THIS thread you're in the minority... but there are far more liberal-minded/democrats on this board than there are republicans... you're not alone lol not at all

and I don't see any fun being made when it comes to Kerry. Perhaps being harsh, but it was a truthful observation ... *shrug*

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Wolfgang said:
Hillary would be the most 'interesting' choice, but is realistically unelectable, the so-called 'silent majority' would vote her down with a vengeance.

This I totally disagree with... Hillary, if she were to run, on a platform of US stability, families, health care, women's issues and children (and the added bonus of Bill...) would bring the silent majority out to vote... throw in the sheer amount of her war chest (some estimate it at 70 million & growing...), somewhat centralist view point and the public disgust over the Bush administration's handling of the war, economy, gas prices, etc. and a strong running mate... then I'd give her an excellent chance of winning.

Something else to keep in mind regarding the Democratic nomination ~ Hillary is a master at collecting favors from her friends ~ on both sides of the isle. This will give her added momentum. Espcially since there isn't a more viable candidate this time around (sorry KerryFan... but if John couldn't get it done before, I don't see him as viable in '08)

I'd support Hillary in a heartbeat, but I must be honest here ~ I'm tired of all the personalities running around the White House... I'd really like to see someone who is less about "politicing" and more about sound governance and responsible use of power.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#1Kerryfan said:
Please, don't make fun of Kerry. I work hard for him and don't like to see him bashed.

Frankly, though, I'm just glad to see bush go. Don't get me started on him.
Kerryfan, don't feel bad. I like Kerry. It's just to bad we have such juvenile posters here that didn't take into consideration that you do work hard for Kerry. I think what makes me angry :mad: :mad: at posters is when they say stupid stuff like
If John Kerry ran again I'd laugh and laugh 'cause the Dems would so lose.
What does that mean, give it some substance instead of acting like a 10 year old.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Neither. While I did vote for Kerry, there were things about his campaign that I seriously disliked. First of all, I lost a lot of respect for him on the day he voted to authorize Iraq invasion; I remember reading the article on the plane and just feeling my heart sink - I couldn't believe it! I did not really mind Kerry's personality (and I really like Teresa!) but he did seem to respond to polls all the time, even more so than Al Gore (and I voted for Nader in '00 because I couldn't bring myself to vote for Gore; in Massachusetts it doesn't matter anyway).

I never really liked Hillary either. Actually, let me correct that - I liked First Lady Hillary, I never liked Senator Hillary. What I respected about her as a First Lady was that she went for the issues that were important to her, political reality to damned. As a Senator, I think she eyes the polls way too closely.

I am a liberal, and it pains me that I see no real leader I like on the Democratic side. On the Republican I'd vote for McCain in a second, and would seriously consider voting for Giuliani or Romney. However, if Republicans put out a hard line right wing candidate, I am likely to vote for any Democrat on the ticket (unfortunately).

I like that outspoken guy from Vermont with the scream that was overblown by the press. I like muckraking.

Considering the underhanded money making schemes of all these Republicans which are now coming into view, I couldn't in good conscious vote Republican.

And Cheney's Haliburton has just squeezed out every tax dollar they could from the American public.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
#1Kerryfan said:
If it all came down to Kerry or Hillary, who would you pick?
It cannot just come down to that because there will surely be more than 2 candidates at primaries.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
While Al Gore denies making another run for the presidency, I'd vote for him. I did before & I'd do it again! How about a Gore-H. Clinton ticket? There's been some negative comments about Giuliani by people who worked with him or for him in NYC lately. I get the picture of a dictator. That's scary.