2008 Election | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2008 Election

Who should be the Dem in '08?

• Total voters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Al Gore is so Anti-Alaskan even the Democrats up here didn't vote for him in 2000...

as for if it were hill vs john... no doubt he'd LOSE... as everyone's already pointed out Hillary's the stronger candidate in the long run... John is so wishy-washy and a poll watcher that I wouldn't in good faith trust him to run the country at all. While Hillary isn't any better as far as I'm concerned when it comes to her political view, at least she'll STICK to her decisions...

Of course they are against Gore in Alaska. He just finished a first class movie about the ecology and the shrinking icebergs up thar in the artic.

Alaskans, apparently want oil drigging and piplines which should warm up the atmosphere.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have heard a number of times that Kerry's wife was a reason - for the ones who don't think more than who they like, not abilities. I didn't think she was very likable either. Kinda had a "pompous" look about her. I don't know if that is true evaluation of her persona or not. But I do know there are a number of voters that vote based on such silly things - and a bigger number then I think anyone would like to admit. Scary.

Oh I voted for Hillary just cause I think she is Hot.:laugh: Just kidding, I hope there will be better options coming REALLY soon!

Last edited:
Kerry's wife is Queen of the Tomatos. If it weren't for her majesty, the sale of hamburgers would go down. If you love hamburgers, you must love Mrs. Kerry.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, I like Theresa Heinz Kerry and kind of wished SHE were running instead of her husband. (Yes, I know she's not eligible, being born in Zimbabwe or wherever it was.). That's not meant as a dig at Kerry, I just found her to be much more charismatic.

Seems if Kerry was going to run again, we would have heard some rumblings about that by now.

Having Hillary in the race would make things MOST interesting. Actually, I think having Hillary in the race would probably lead to the highest voter turnout in decades. She seems to be one of those people, you either LOVE her or you HATE her. I think she would bring a lot of people out to the polls who wouldn't ordinarily go, but for two reasons -- 1. She would address a lot of issues that many other candidates would not and/or have not and would definitely inspire the more liberal-leaning, but perhaps generally politically apathetic, voters; and/but 2. She would also inspire the more conservative-leaning, but perhaps generally politically apathetic voters -- to vote against her. I am truly amazed at the amount of hatred and vitrol directed towards her. My grandmother was a (very) conservative Republican and since she passed away a couple of months ago I've been getting her mail from all the groups she supported or upon whose mailing lists she ended up on, and there are no less than THREE PACs whose sole aim is to get Hillary Clinton out of politics. My grandmother herself thought that the Clintons were Mr. and Mrs. Satan. Now, I can understand not agreeing with their politics, but I'm amazed at the amount of flack they've gotten.

But we'll just have to see who runs. I do have to say, as a lifelong liberal Democrat, I would seriously consider voting for McCain if he ran, depending on who he was running against.

Actually, the person I'd like to see try and run again would be Wesley Clark. When they were polling all the candidates during the last election about their views and ideas on various issues, I agreed with more of his views and liked more of his ideas than anyone else's, including Kerry's and Dean's.

Actually -- my DREAM candidate (tho also not eligible to run unless there's a major law change) would be Madeleine Albright. Now THIS is a lady who could get things done!

JonnyCoop said:
Actually -- my DREAM candidate (tho also not eligible to run unless there's a major law change) would be Madeleine Albright. Now THIS is a lady who could get things done!
ITA and pity that the law exists. But isn't Arnold trying to change that?

Joe

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
#1Kerryfan said:
I meant if everyone dropped out but those two.

In that case, I'd have to vote Green. Personally, I'm too progressive politically to be happy with a choice that doesn't seem like a choice at all.
But that's irrelevant, Kerryfan. I just want you to know that I really respect you for getting involved with politics at such a young age and I hope you keep it up! We hear so much about young people not caring about what's going on in the world; thank you for helping to disprove that.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
xoxo
Rave

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's not just the law, it a part of constitution. Put their originally by the founding fathers for a very good reason - to prevent foreign powers pushing their heirs onto America as leaders.

Never cared much about Albright. IMHO she was far too fond of grand gestures, as in wanting parties to sign onto something for the sake of having an agreement as opposed to actually coming up with a workable solution.

JonnyCoop said:
Personally, I like Theresa Heinz Kerry and kind of wished SHE were running instead of her husband.
ITA. She appeared much more "real" than the rest. I am afraid though that the nature of campaigns now prevents candidates from being real human beings. I was listening to an interview with Gore the other day, and was struck by how much more likable he appeared now that he wasn't trying to win the presidency. Sad.

JonnyCoop said:
My grandmother herself thought that the Clintons were Mr. and Mrs. Satan. Now, I can understand not agreeing with their politics, but I'm amazed at the amount of flack they've gotten.
It used to amaze me as well. But now that I really hate the current president I understand how many conservatives must have felt during the Clinton years.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Arnold can bite me on that one - well I guess I am not a female in a acting role with him so that would never happen.:laugh:

If he thinks that needs to be changed then he obviously is not behind the American constitution and that in it's self is enough reason not to vote for him. You just have to be born here, big whoop if you were not - you just can't be a President. Double U double A. Influence and active in politics are not out of the question, so work with that. Besides, everyone is from somewhere else except the Native Americans. So he will just have to let his kids decide if they want to be involved in running for that ONE particular position.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I took a perverse pleasure when I registered to vote here in knowing that I could now vote against Kerry again. (And finally get to take a personal stab at Teddy, too. How did that family produce John and Bobby, and then HIM?)

Hillary has all the favors, connections, Bill factor (he is INFINITELY more likeable than her) the illusion of centrist positions, and has NOT been a losing candidate for national office. Yes, she's a carpetbagger, yes, she has some legal/ethical problems, but she's got a big war chest, an unremarkable Senate record (no scandals/controversial votes) and name recognition.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
I took a perverse pleasure when I registered to vote here in knowing that I could now vote against Kerry again. (And finally get to take a personal stab at Teddy, too. How did that family produce John and Bobby, and then HIM?)
Welcome to Massachusetts, Juliet :)

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
jsteam4501s said:
Here's why I believe that: Dem voters will jump at the chance to get BOTH the first lady president AND Bill as the first first uhhh, "gentleman".:rofl:

I have to laugh at that.:laugh:

password

On the Ice
Not likely to happen...but I like...
Sam Brownback (Kansas)
Jim Bunning (Kentucky)
Mike DeWine (Ohio)
Pete Domenici (New Mexico),
Mel Martinez (Florida)
Frank Murkowski (Alaska)
Rick Santorum (Pennsylvania)
David Vitter (Louisiana)
or ...George Voinovich (Ohio).

if not them, I guess McCain

"I know in my heart that man is good.
That what is right will always eventually triumph.
And there's purpose and worth to each and every life."
-Ronald Reagan

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I was watching Hard Ball the other day (yes, I know, but I think its important to know what the enemy is up to...) and took perverse pleasure in watching the talking heads almost pass out & die while watching the reaction Hilary got from the "silent majority" during a democratic peprally thing... I had the same reaction reading about the dismal failure that was the the proposed constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages...

The Republicans are in big trouble... And for good reason. They have systematically ruined political in-roads, instigated an unjust war, destroyed the economy & confidence, brought back the national deficit, outed CIA opperatives and harped about "family values" while doing nothing to ensure the stability of poor & working class families

However, what did it for me were those pictures of US citizens begging for help and basically being ignored by their government while families struggling to make ends meet, gave their all during Katrina.

Its time for a change. Its time for a president that will focus on domestic issues, families, women, children, health care and education. If Hilary can represent that change, then I'll be the first person to volunteer. If another candidate who is so tyed up with the religious right (an oxymoron if ever there was one...) wins in 2008, then I'm taking my son & running to Canada...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Kwanfordwife will you please pick me up and take me with you when you run for the border?:rock:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
KwanfordWife, ITA that Republicans are in trouble. However, when we vote for president, personality matters more than the party. No offense to Kerry, but it felt like most people voted for him not because they liked him, but because they wanted to vote against Bush. That's no way to win elections, or to govern for that matter. It seems to me that Democrats are so afraid of loosing, they become to cautious, and start looking rather fake. As I've mentioned before, in a recent Gore interview I was struck by how much I liked him; back in 2000, I was so disgusted with Dems that I voted for Nader (could afford it seeing as Mass goes blue any way you look at it).

Having said all that, I do think Kerry was the best of the Democratic candidates in 2004 (though I did have a soft spot for Dean).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
KwanfordWife, ITA that Republicans are in trouble. However, when we vote for president, personality matters more than the party. No offense to Kerry, but it felt like most people voted for him not because they liked him, but because they wanted to vote against Bush. That's no way to win elections, or to govern for that matter. It seems to me that Democrats are so afraid of loosing, they become to cautious, and start looking rather fake. As I've mentioned before, in a recent Gore interview I was struck by how much I liked him; back in 2000, I was so disgusted with Dems that I voted for Nader (could afford it seeing as Mass goes blue any way you look at it).

Having said all that, I do think Kerry was the best of the Democratic candidates in 2004 (though I did have a soft spot for Dean).

All of the above are statements I'd commit myself to... espcially the soft spot for Dean.

But here's a question - how much better off would the environment be as a whole if Al Gore really dedicated his passion, power base and connections in that direction and left politics to the politicians?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Kwanfordwife will you please pick me up and take me with you when you run for the border?:rock:

Absolutely! West Virginia is on the way from Richmond!!! (No DC traffic & no tolls! :laugh: )

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
But here's a question - how much better off would the environment be as a whole if Al Gore really dedicated his passion, power base and connections in that direction and left politics to the politicians?
I believe strongly that the only way for a real turn around on environment is what Thomas Friedman calls "geo-green". This can only happen with political will.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Piel said:
Now that's what I call a road trip!
Meet you there?
xoxo
Rave