Pairs and dance teams that have... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs and dance teams that have...

heyang

Record Breaker
I think we should probably exlude sibling teams like the Harthell's, Stiegler's, Carruthers', etc. Too ick.

heyang

Record Breaker
oops forgot to add that Kyoko Ina hasn't been involved with partners Jason Dungen and John Zimmerman.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
With Ina & Dungjen, I always kind of wondered if they got briefly involved and SHE ended up really wishing she hadn't, or if he wanted to get involved and she just didn't like him, or what. There was kind of a strange dynamic going on with those two; there was a lot of acrimony floating around after their breakup and I always wondered just what the deal was.

Kasey

Medalist
In response to the original question, Navka and Kostamarov can be added to your list.

nuge

On the Ice
I always wanted so badly A/P to be a couple off ice :disapp: They look so stunning together .

antmanb

Record Breaker
Tinika said:
They deny it now, but in the John Hennessy biography they admit as much.

Really - i've read that biography and i don't remember them saying they were romantically involved, it just said that they didn't deny those kinds of rumours since the public wanted to believe they were in love when they were on the ice.

At the time and over the years i've gotten the impression that Jayne probably did fall in love with Chris but it was unrequited.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Woetzel & Steuer were; then they broke up and found that their skating got better.

Really? I thought they were still dating up until the end of their elligible careers. Wasn't there a Worlds or Europeans one year ( i think they won the gold) where Robin Cousins commentating for the BBC said that they weren't talking to each other and straight after their ending pose of the LP they barely even acknowledged each other.

Ant

ildah

Rinkside
I didn't know that Ina and Dungjen used to be partners. They were both in SOI this year with different partners, travelling together etc. Guess you have to move on and be mature about these things.

Underhill and Martini: don't know if there was anything, but Underhill was crazy about him and his family didn't have that in the plan for him, they had somebody else in mind.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Anybody know if Oppegard and Watson were ever romantically involved with each other?

quof

Rinkside
ildah said:
Underhill and Martini: don't know if there was anything, but Underhill was crazy about him and his family didn't have that in the plan for him, they had somebody else in mind.

Where does this info come from? I understood Paul was dating his (now) wife of over 20 years practically since kindergarten, and certainly since he and Barb started skating together.

Tinika

Rinkside
antmanb said:
Really - i've read that biography and i don't remember them saying they were romantically involved, it just said that they didn't deny those kinds of rumours since the public wanted to believe they were in love when they were on the ice.

At the time and over the years i've gotten the impression that Jayne probably did fall in love with Chris but it was unrequited.

Ant

Hey, Ant. The 'we just didn't deny the rumors' line is more from the 1996 (?) autobiography. They're a lot less guarded in the Hennessy book and at the end of it, when they each write a short piece about the other, they say some pointed things about being 'once very close' and realizing it was too intense to maintain. Of course, who really can say--but to me it's always seemed like an admission.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Tinika said:
Hey, Ant. The 'we just didn't deny the rumors' line is more from the 1996 (?) autobiography. They're a lot less guarded in the Hennessy book and at the end of it, when they each write a short piece about the other, they say some pointed things about being 'once very close' and realizing it was too intense to maintain. Of course, who really can say--but to me it's always seemed like an admission.

I'll have to go back and read it - i'm fairly sure its the Hennessy book i've got...unless Hennessy also did the big Curry biography in which case i'm probably mixing up my authors!!

Thanks for the info.

Ant

Linny

Final Flight
Legal

My understanding is that you can not legally marry your adopted sibling, even though you are not biologically related. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In Peter and Kitty's case, they were very clear that they loved each other as brother and sister, so I don't think it was a question for them, legal or otherwise.

Linny

Tinika

Rinkside
Linny said:
My understanding is that you can not legally marry your adopted sibling, even though you are not biologically related. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In Peter and Kitty's case, they were very clear that they loved each other as brother and sister, so I don't think it was a question for them, legal or otherwise.

Linny

Did anyone ever bring it up in the media??

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Kati said:
Gordeeva & Grinkov - for many fans, the ultimate "figure skating love story"
Rodnina & Zaitsev (they later divorced)
Usova & Zhulin (divorced, too, and the soap opera with new partners continued...)
Klimova & Ponomarenko
Valova & Vasilev (divorced, and he is dating Totmianina now, right?)
Rahkamo & Kokko, happily married with two kids
Punsalan & Swallow
Grushina & Gontcharov
Drobiazko & Vanagas
Denkova & Stavisky
Abitbol & Bernardis
Kovarikova & Novotny
Berankova & Dlabola (?)

I'd add Obertas/Slavnov

but...Denkova/Stavyski???

John King

Final Flight
Never romantically involved:Anjelika Krylova & Oleg Ovsyannikov,or,before that,her and Vladimir Fedorov.

miffy

Rinkside
Tinika said:
...been romantically involved, ended that part of their relationship, and continued to skate together successfully:

I can think of a few; Brasseur/Eisler and Bechke/Petrov. I'd include Torvill/Dean in there as well! Are there any others?
Lang/Tchernyshev were together for a few years and then continued skating together after they split up.

goldberry99

Rinkside
attyfan said:
Anybody know if Oppegard and Watson were ever romantically involved with each other?

Yes, in their US television profile during the 1988 Olympics, they said that they had been romantically involved for a time but it cooled to just being good friends.