The Kentucky Derby on Saturday | Golden Skate

The Kentucky Derby on Saturday

Johar

Medalist
The Field for the 132nd Kentucky Derby

Post-position order, with (sire), trainer, jockey, and morning-line odds (All starters carry 126 pounds):

1. Jazil (Seeking the Gold), Kiaran McLaughlin, Fernando Jara, 30-to-1

2. Steppenwolfer (Aptitude), Dan Peitz, Robby Albarado, 30-to-1

3. Keyed Entry (Honour and Glory), Todd Pletcher, Patrick Valenzuela, 30-to-1

4. Sinister Minister (Old Trieste), Bob Baffert, Victor Espinoza, 12-to-1

5. Point Determined (Point Given), Bob Baffert, Rafael Bejarano, 12-to-1

6. Showing Up (Strategic Mission), Barclay Tagg, Cornelio Velasquez, 20-to-1

7. Bob and John (Seeking the Gold), Bob Baffert, Garrett Gomez, 12-to-1

8. Barbaro (Dynaformer), Michael Matz, Edgar Prado, 4-to-1

9. Sharp Humor (Distorted Humor), Dale Romans, Mark Guidry, 20-to-1

10. A. P. Warrior (A.P. Indy), John Shirreffs, Corey Nakatani, 15-to-1

11. Sweetnorthernsaint (Sweetsouthernsaint), Michael Trombetta, Kent Desormeaux, 10-to-1

12. Private Vow (Broken Vow), Steve Asmussen, Shaun Bridgmohan, 50-to-1

13. Bluegrass Cat (Storm Cat), Todd Pletcher, Ramon Dominguez, 30-to-1

14. Deputy Glitters (Deputy Commander), Tom Albertrani, Jose Lezcano, 50-to-1

15. Seaside Retreat (King Cugat), Mark Casse, Patrick Husbands, 50-to-1

16. Cause to Believe (Maria's Mon), Jerry Hollendorfer, Russell Baze, 50-to-1

17. Lawyer Ron (Langfuhr), Bob Holthus, John McKee, 4-to-1

18. Brother Derek (Benchmark), Dan Hendricks, Alex Solis, 3-to-1

19. Storm Treasure (Storm Boot), Steve Asmussen, David Flores, 50-to-1

20. Flashy Bull (Holy Bull), Kiaran McLaughlin, Mike Smith, 50-to-1.

Johar

Medalist
The derby is notoriously hard to handicap, but I am going with Lawyer Ron/Sweetnorthernsaint/Steppenwolfer/Barbaro. Lawyer is probably more who I am leaning towads. Anybody but Point Determined. If there is a God he will not allow that horse to win.

Alsace

On the Ice
The only good horse listed above that I've seen race (on TV) is Sinister Minister. He was impressive, so I'm rooting for him!

bronxgirl

Medalist
I have a soft spot for Barbaro because of his trainer Michael Matz. Not only is he a silver medal winner in equestrian events from 1996 Atlanta games, he is a hero who saved children after he was among the survivors of a disastrous airplane crash in Iowa years ago. Go Barbaro!

Johar

Medalist
Barbaro has had a five week layoff. The last horse to win the Derby after a 5 week layoff was Needles back in the 1956. I like him, though.

I am going with Lawyer Ron and Sweetnorthernsaint.

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
Johar said:
Anybody but Point Determined. If there is a God he will not allow that horse to win.
Why do you feel that way?

I love horse racing, but admit that I only really follow the Triple Crown. I kind of like to come into the Kentucky Derby mostly blind, because I love all the backstories and I love longshots, and really, I just want to get behind whoever wins because I want another Triple Crown winner!

BTW, just saw the backstory on Brother Derek's trainer and jockey - was that Dan Hendricks' EX--wife? She came off as being kinda bittah.

Also - Donna Brothers is looking GREAT!

bronxgirl

Medalist
What a commanding performance by Barbaro. His jockey has said he could have had the lead anytime. Perhaps a Triple Crown for the first time in ages? (I do not want to tempt the racing gods who are as quixotic as the skating gods:biggrin: )

flutterby1145

Rinkside
I love the Kentucky Derby! I was hoping for Brother Derek to win, mostly because I liked to story of his trainer, and Sinister Minister because of the name. I would love to go the Derby in person (I have lived in Louisville my whole life, and live 20 minutes from Churchill Downs and have never actually been to a Kentucky Derby)

Johar

Medalist
guinevere said:
Why do you feel that way?

I love horse racing, but admit that I only really follow the Triple Crown. I kind of like to come into the Kentucky Derby mostly blind, because I love all the backstories and I love longshots, and really, I just want to get behind whoever wins because I want another Triple Crown winner!

BTW, just saw the backstory on Brother Derek's trainer and jockey - was that Dan Hendricks' EX--wife? She came off as being kinda bittah.

Also - Donna Brothers is looking GREAT!

There's a internet board where too many teenager think Point Determined is the "Best Horse Eva!!!" but he hasn't done much to wow me. Had he won I would've seen many moikers like "#1PointDeterminded fan4-Eva."

I don't dislike the horse, or any horse. btw!:laugh:

Kudos to Barbaro and his connections. They really pulled it off. I am so happy Dynaformer finally sired a Derby winner. :rock:

Johar

Medalist
Full Order of Finish:

1 Barbaro
2 Bluegrass Cat
3 Steppenwolfer
4 Jazil
5 Brother Derek
6 Showing Up
7 Sweetnorthernsaint
8 Deputy Glitters
9 Point Determined