Dropout rate | Golden Skate

Dropout rate

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I'd just like to find out if this scenario is typical of ice rinks around GoldenSkate land.
I started my lessons in February, my class consisted of 1 other guy and 6 ladies, plus a couple of other ladies who were 'leftovers' from other classes, and did not want to be by themselves, so they kind of hung around us.
The other guy dropped out after level 1, said he only wanted to learn the 'basics' , and I guess level 1 was basic enough for him.
Two of the soccer moms disappeared, I'm guessing skating turned out to be much more challenging than they had imagined, another two were apparently abducted by Aliens.....;)
Another hasn't officially quit, but hasn't shown up in a few weeks, her skates hurt her very badly every time she gets on the ice.
Of my original class plus hangers-on, one girl is left, she is repeating level 1 and going nowhere (maybe it's because she never says a word to anyone, including the instructors, not even 'hi'....), I am officially supposed to be in level 2, but have been promoted sort of 'on the fly' to level 3, and my new instructor is starting to 'experiment' on me (gulp) with level 4 stuff.
The only other person in level 2 (I'm guessing she's a leftover from a previous class) wil be in level 2 for a spell.
Those Saturday morning classes used to be pretty crowded, now you could fire a cannon across the length of the rink without endangering anyone......
I realize that the dropout rate for something like figure skating (and probably hockey) is significant, and I know the Olympics probably gave it a little bit of an extra boost, I was, however, NOT prepared for an attendance figure free fall.........
Is this typical?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really don't know about classes. But 2 of the rinks - SUN and the Y - out here are defiantly going to kill a few with cannon fire durring a open rink:rofl: and at times I am tempted.. not really just funnen. Sometimes I feel like turning around and leaving because all the chatter and not looking where they're going kids. I know thats not you real question, but I hope this brings some attention to your post!

Alexei'sgirl

Rinkside
When I first started skating in Group Lessons two years ago, my first group had 5 people in it. After the first 6 week session, I was the only one who came back from that group, and for almost 4 sessions, I was alone, and ended up having a private lesson during the group session. It was great for me....not so much for the rink though. For two sessions over the summer there was actually only myself and one other little girl for the entire session signed up. Once we got back to the fall, enrollment picked up again. I found that once the weather begins to get nice outside, the cold ice rink doesn't seem to be the place people would think to hang out at.

Personally, I see it as a win for me, as I don't have to dodge quite as many kids not watching where they're going during the summer months.

Wolfgang

On the Ice
I love the munchkins (well, most of them, anyway...), they're cute, funny, and sometimes an inspiration.
Some of them are really good, and I'm trying to learn how to fall like them.....
And they provide a good obstacle course.....:agree:
I do most of my 'serious' training on a couple of weekday mornings, when there's only a few 'real' figure skaters at the rink, age range 10-72........
So the Saturday morning classes are more of a 'social event' rather than anything else, and right now, there aren't many people there to be social with.....