Well, to keep things skating related... | Golden Skate

Well, to keep things skating related...

Kasey

Medalist
What off season changes have we seen so far, in terms of dance and pair teams, coaching changes, etc, that could impact this upcoming season?

Rumor has it that several dance teams have left Morosov, including Slattery-Lee and Gregory-Petukov. Orlova-Novikov are history. Orscher-Lucash, same, although there is a new tidbit of info that reportedly links Lucash with Brittany Vise now. Impact on national and international skating? Most likely!

Then there is official news of Arakawa going pro. (http://www.sanspo.com/sports/top/sp...2006050709.html) You have big names such as Slutskaya, Plushenko, and Cohen not fully confirming their dance card one way or the other yet, but are all seeming to lean towards at least taking this season off.

Who will take advantage of all the shifting and changes? Who should be able to and won't? And what else is brewing in the air before summer has even started?

Maybe Ryan O'Mearer can grab one of those Russian ladies for a partner.

The tidbit on Garret is interesting. I believe he did blame the poor performances on Katy.

I have never understood the phrase 'going pro'. does it mean they will be teaching? designing skating costumes? doing choreography? or hoping someone in power will give them a job in Disney on Ice?

Big names confirming their dance cards will be taking it one day at a time. What ever that means. Plushenko back to back Oly gold; Like Rhoda, Irina will be saying "2010 Olympics this is your last chance". Sasha just may become a 3 time loser with the Asian gals coming on strong. (Dear God, that's not a Sasha bash. It's just a thought.)

Good questions at the end there, Kasey. Who will be the power in figure skating? The americans, the japanese, the chinese or the ISU?

Now back to the pinkest dress in skating. Who has it?;)

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Ryan O'meara with a Russian gal would be an interesting turnabout on the Russian-American dance teams! I keep wondering if the rumor of Piseev encouraging a (gag) Domnina/Kostamarov pairing, which would leave Shabalin available for a Russian lass (I just wonder if Orlova is too tall for him, but I don't think she is much taller than Domnina).

Joesitz said:

Joe

Sokolova, circa 2005-2006 SP!

Kasey

Medalist
Also, I think Orscher had gained a little extra weight during last year off-season, when she had the foot injury and wasn't able to train, so that probably threw off some of their elements when they were able to return to competition.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Kasey said:
Who will take advantage of all the shifting and changes? Who should be able to and won't? And what else is brewing in the air before summer has even started?

These questions and more will be answered on the next episode of...

SOAP!

Remember that show? LOLOLOLOL couldn't resist!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Angie we have missed you! Welcome back. Check in the GS Reunion thread in Le Cafe and let us know what's new.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:

Joe

I think it was Cohen's cotton candy Nutcracker dress... or Mao's cotton candy Nutcracker dress. Its a toss-up. Or maybe Tanith Belbin's 2003-2004 OD dress, hot pink with the yellow polka dots.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kasey said:
I keep wondering if the rumor of Piseev encouraging a (gag) Domnina/Kostamarov pairing, which would leave Shabalin available for a Russian lass
I keep hearing the same rumor but refuse to comment on it as long as it's just rumor...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Morosov - hadn't heard about L/S leaving... from what I'd read it sounds like they were happy to continue training with him *shrugs*

Kasey

Medalist
~Muffin~ said:
Can someone explain to me exactly what happened with the Orlova-Novikov split?

Novikov retired for health reasons and is looking to coach. Orlova is seeking a new partner. Some sources say that he was actually going to retire last year, and paired with Orlova as a favor to Tarasova, hoping to be able to continue. Not to be.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hey Kasey - thanks for the link!!!! I don't know where I got the impression that they were still with Morosov lol

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Kasey said:
Novikov retired for health reasons and is looking to coach. Orlova is seeking a new partner. Some sources say that he was actually going to retire last year, and paired with Orlova as a favor to Tarasova, hoping to be able to continue. Not to be.

Wasn't Vitaly skating on an injured foot at SA 03 0r 04? I don't remember, but I remember he was injured at the time. What sort of injury made him retire? I hope he is successful in his coaching. :)

soogar

Record Breaker
Kasey said:

Hmmm, an Orlova/Shabalin pairing..... That actually might be a good thing b/c that Orlova is very fetching looking. Too bad she and Vitaly couldn't stay together b/c they were the best looking Russian ice dance team competing last season.

As for Roman/Oksana pairing... well she's a decent ice dancer but she's no Navka. And I think Roman needs a partner like Navka so no one would really notice him.

Kasey

Medalist
soogar said:
As for Roman/Oksana pairing... well she's a decent ice dancer but she's no Navka. And I think Roman needs a partner like Navka so no one would really notice him.

Agreed. It would be taking the "lesser part" of two teams and throwing them together.....Yikes!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
And would it really be a smart idea for the Russian federation to split up their top couple? This isn't exactly like the 80s and early 90s were for them, when any of their top 5 dance couples could get on the Worlds podium. They would do well to leave well enough alone.